$10 Torque Wrenches at Harbor Freight

ohdaho

They do this about every other month for their 1/2" torque wrench, so no rush. I have heard almost nothing but good reviews about it though, people say it is extremely sturdy and lasts forever. The funny thing is, the 1/4" is going to cost more, even on sale I have only seen it at $12 or something at the lowest (generally $20)

its jst me, but I wouldn't trust a harbor freight torque wrench. If your working on something that require a certain torque, id much rather spend the money for a good quality tool. Last time I checked, accuracy within +/- 4% or something like that.. that's kinda a big area for over/under torque

IMHO

I love my cornwell tools

its jst me, but I wouldn't trust a harbor freight torque wrench. If your working on something that require a certain torque, id much rather spend the money for a good quality tool. Last time I checked, accuracy within +/- 4% or something like that.. that's kinda a big area for over/under torque

IMHO

I love my cornwell tools

I believe my $300 Snap-on torque wrench with a range of 20-100 lb.-ft. has an accuracy of +/- 4%. In MOST applications, consistancy is more important than accuracy.

My next torque wrench purchase is going to be an inch pound, to replace the $100 S-K that broke on me after about 5 years.

Ironically' date=' you spelled "accurately" with a great deal of inaccuracy. :) [/quote']

And even more ironic is you screwing it up even further! "accuracy" not accurately! :lol:

That aside' date=' I own 4 torque wrenches.

1. Snap-on 1/2" drive, 30-150 ft.lb.

2. Snap-on 3/8" drive, 5-75 ft.lb.

3. Snap-on 1/4" drive, 40-200 in.lb.

4. Matco 1/4" drive, 5-50 in.lb.

While Harbor Freight has its usefulness, I don't think their hand tools are worthy of any tool box real estate. This goes double for their torque wrenches.

However,[b'] I'm a tool snob. So, take my words with a giant pile of rock salt.

Yeah, I won't hardly even touch a Craftsman wrench, socket or ratchet anymore.

id rather pay $10 and get 6% accuracy than $300 for 4%. Atleast for the work i do.
Fair enough. :)

:plus1:

I've been returning alot of Craftsman tools lately. I had a 3/8 ratchet blow apart on me during the first use! The quality has gone in the shitter. Dont know whether to blame it on Kmart or not.

I've been returning alot of Craftsman tools lately. I had a 3/8 ratchet blow apart on me during the first use! The quality has gone in the shitter. Dont know whether to blame it on Kmart or not.

They have the same lifetime warranty as Mac, Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, but the difference is in how much you need to utilize that warranty.

Unfortunately I feel the same now :( Their tools used to be great for the money, now there isn't really any reason to ever go to Sears.

Edited by imprez55

2 cents here... I was told many times not to buy Craftsman for aircraft tool use. I was told Craftsman didn't meet the specifications. So being a smartass, I got the mil-spec for hand tools, open end wrench, and took micrometer measurements of Mac, Proto, SnapOn, and Craftsman, etc. The Craftsman were the most accurately made tools from the bunch. Proto was a close second. Some of the others were out of specification. I know why they told us that about tools, but that's yet another discussion and I shall not hijack a hijack.

I have two nice and accurate Craftsman torque wrenches. All torque wrenches should be calibrated or replaced on a regular basis.

I've noticed a reduction in quality also. I've finally broken one of my old original 3/8" ratchets. Argh. Still works though, just crunchy one way and not the other. Might just need cleaning.

I own a few cheap torque wrenches like the ones sold at Harbor Freight and they no longer click. The last time I needed a torque wrench for the house I went and bought one at sears. I have a Snap-On I use at work, 3/8 and 3/4. I HATE the prices of Snap-On tools but they are high quality.

Personally I would not trust a Harbor Freight torque wrench on a bike or anything that needs precision.

I only use my huge torque wrench from Harbor freight about 4 times a year and that's only on my rear and front axles. Since 2004 no problems here and they always click. I get free calibration from work which is just testing to see if it's still in spec and it is. ;)

If you're a mechanic and wrench 8+hours a day I would never get them, but let's be honest here....only a few on this website do. Some just like to say the own the best name.

Some just like to say the own the best name.

and others are just paranoid and enjoy the peace of mind :p

I've used Snap-On ones at work and Craftsman and HF for my garage use. I busted my HF after a year and the craftsman has only seen limited duty and seems fine so far but agree the quality of craftsman has gone downhill over the years. I still like their stuff enough though for my applications

I only have a couple things from HF and they don't get used very often. Everything else I own is Craftsman, Snap-on and Mac, oh and a Matco 1/2" impact. I started off with a Craftsman mechanics set and now it is slowly being replaced by Snap-on and Mac.

There are some stuff I like from HF, mostly disposable items like wire brushes. But something like a torque wrench would see too much use so I'd rather spend the extra cash for a better quality one. Although I do have a pneumatic brake bleeder that was like $30 that works pretty well.

I only have a couple things from HF and they don't get used very often. Everything else I own is Craftsman, Snap-on and Mac, oh and a Matco 1/2" impact. I started off with a Craftsman mechanics set and now it is slowly being replaced by Snap-on and Mac.

There are some stuff I like from HF, mostly disposable items like wire brushes. But something like a torque wrench would see too much use so I'd rather spend the extra cash for a better quality one. Although I do have a pneumatic brake bleeder that was like $30 that works pretty well.

:nono: Or just walk across the shop to get mine out of my box...

Keep telling yourself that when you're digging a bolt broken flush out of the frame/head/block/etc. Trust me.

I find it hard to believe that was the difference btw 2% accuracy of a torque wrench. I believe some (if not most) service manuals have a tolerance of +/- 10%. As long as you started on the low end, and torqued higher than it shouldnt have broke off assuming wrenches were calibrated to spec within said accuracy.