Mid ohio school

Just2EZ05

How much trackdays-(beginner class) do you get to a pair of tires? I'm still pretty new to the whole thing. Are you also recommended to get a new set of performance brake pads?..

I used to get 2-3 trackdays and 2-3k street miles out of a set of street tires running upper level advanced on my 01 1k. It will depend on how quick you ride. Beginner class with STT is structured for the morning then they open up in the afternoons so if you do all beginner 3-5 trackdays depending on street miles.

Newer tires are softer so maybe 2-3 trackdays and 1-2 k street miles

Brakes just take the pads out check to see if they have plenty of material. If they do, just sand them down with 200-300 grit to makes sure they aren't glazed. Spray them with brake cleaner to get residue off then put them back in.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to get 2-3 trackdays and 2-3k street miles out of a set of street tires running upper level advanced on my 01 1k. It will depend on how quick you ride. Beginner class with STT is structured for the morning then they open up in the afternoons so if you do all beginner 3-5 trackdays depending on street miles.

Newer tires are softer so maybe 2-3 trackdays and 1-2 k street miles

Brakes just take the pads out check to see if they have plenty of material. If they do, just sand them down with 200-300 grit to makes sure they aren't glazed. Spray them with brake cleaner to get residue off then put them back in.

As an individual doing your first trackday, dont worry about what its going to do to your tires. Your not going to be pushing it that hard. I put 3 trackdays on my tires last year and a few K street miles and they are still fine. And I did it with a completely stock bike. (brakes, rotors, tires were Pilot Powers) etc. Dont let tires or brakes be your determining factor.. YOU WILL BE JUST FINE. Like I said, youre not going to push it that hard on your first track day or most likely even your second. Your bike stock can handle more then what you are capable of giving it, especially in the novice group..

Thanks, i've just always been curious on how long tires last on the track/if race tires were necessary, and along with getting another set of brake pads (didnt think I'd be able to afford getting new tires/pads every trackday etc)Big help guys! :cheers:

I used the same set of brake pads for little over a year of trackdays on my race bike.

I put the set in beginning of 06 used them all that year and then changed them during the 3rd race weekend this year.

It's all what you can adapt to... as far as tires and pads go. I think Drew and I were using used take off sets and trying to get as many days as we could as to not have to buy new sets.

I could wear new Michelins down through (yes, through) the wear marks on teh sidewalls and still run decent times. It's a track day venue - no need to worry about new tires and how fast they are in terms of lap times. IF you can pull a decent lap time, somewhere along the lines, traffic will spoil it so, work on corners, work on braking, and above all, focus on set-up.

Brake pads and such are simple. Buy a new set of both if you can. At the beginner stage, use what you got currently. Times in Novice group usually don't dip much below 2 minutes. Street rubber is fine. OEM pads are fine.

The faster you go, the better the stuff you should want. Typical of a race weekend, I'd burn up 2 sets of tires a weekend through practice and races (2 sprints) and wear pads 2-3 weekends on teh Vesrah SRJLs... For track days, I can make the same set of tires go 4 weekends and pads 1/2 the season... You just ride around the spinning and adjust to the lack of bite the pads have...

I have never seen anyone get booted with 75% wear on their tires. We suggest tires if they are bad, but at the end of the day, we allow self evaluation in terms of ability so, we allow self evaluation of tires. If they are bald or something and it is going to be wet, we might pull you, but overall, 75% or more is safe...

• 2 weeks later...
Dont forget that you have to have over the wrist gloves.. hit up the clearance section at pony and grab a pair cheap. If your thinking of doing track days. get the 1 piece leather. Trust me, you will wear it when riding street twisties as well. If you have never done one before, forget everything that was said about intermediate classes as you will most likely have to do at least 2 trackdays before you are up to that speed.

so I'm planning on doing some track days for sure this season. Last year I only had my jetta but his year I'm trading that in for an rx 330/350....yay I'll finally have a hitch for a trailor.

My question: Does anyone know who can sew a 360 degree zipper into some leathers. I bought the separate top and bottoms. I have everything else u could possibly need except that.

And if any WOMEN want to get to the track it is MUCH cheaper 4 us.

so I'm planning on doing some track days for sure this season. Last year I only had my jetta but his year I'm trading that in for an rx 330/350....yay I'll finally have a hitch for a trailor.

My question: Does anyone know who can sew a 360 degree zipper into some leathers. I bought the separate top and bottoms. I have everything else u could possibly need except that.

And if any WOMEN want to get to the track it is MUCH cheaper 4 us.

Don't skimp - keep what you have for street, but buy a set for the track. Getting someone to sew in a zipper and it be safely attatched is sketchy.

Check Iron Pony for some deals. Depending on your size, you can get two piece stuff for cheap!!!

Or, check www.sportbiketrackgear.com for what they have in stock. Your best bet is to try on men's sizes and see where you fit in those...

Don't skimp - keep what you have for street, but buy a set for the track. Getting someone to sew in a zipper and it be safely attatched is sketchy.

Check Iron Pony for some deals. Depending on your size, you can get two piece stuff for cheap!!!

Or, check www.sportbiketrackgear.com for what they have in stock. Your best bet is to try on men's sizes and see where you fit in those...

I'm NOT "skimping" as you put it. I bought all the gear at Iron Pony last year in the mind set of doing track days. My top has a zipper already...just the pants don't. It was an expensive set that WILL protect me. I am well versed in protective equipment for the track. My ex husband used to race and I bought/picked out ALL his protective equipment. For all the numerous times he went down and didn't get a scratch on him I think I did pretty good. I probably know more about that than most "novice" men on here getting ready to race b/c I've been through the process. No offense boys. I'm not the average female.

Sewing zippers in leathers isn't done by a "normal" seamstress that's why I asked if anyone knew. I'm NOT trying to race...I simply want to practice my turns in a controlled environment.

I'm NOT "skimping" as you put it. I bought all the gear at Iron Pony last year in the mind set of doing track days. My top has a zipper already...just the pants don't. It was an expensive set that WILL protect me. I am well versed in protective equipment for the track. My ex husband used to race and I bought/picked out ALL his protective equipment. For all the numerous times he went down and didn't get a scratch on him I think I did pretty good. I probably know more about that than most "novice" men on here getting ready to race b/c I've been through the process. No offense boys. I'm not the average female.

Sewing zippers in leathers isn't done by a "normal" seamstress that's why I asked if anyone knew. I'm NOT trying to race...I simply want to practice my turns in a controlled environment.

Sorry to offend. I was simply stating that having the jacket or pants (You didn't specify) sewn is skimping vs. buying them that way in anticipation of track day going...

If you are well versed because your husband "raced", I wonder what made you pick a two piece set-up that didn't have the zippers already existing? Also, two piece in racing is a "no-no". Seen a many two piece blow apart... As far as track days, we won't allow you on track without a proper two piece zipped properly together.

Spyderchick on the WERA board or Barnicle Bill may be able to assist you, but again, the cost is going to be such that you'd be ahead to sell the pants and buy a set that zips in and has pucks. I assume any pant that doesn't have a zipper, doesn't have pucks. Again, not a good idea and the cost to add pucks is in addition to the zipper. You could probably buy a set cheaper...

Anyways, do what you want. Seems you have it figured out. Good luck.

Sincerely,

"novice" racer guy.

You know what's weird Lizard? I've never had anyone at SBTT check my suit out before. They must not care too much. I don't care if they do anyways, because I don't need babysitted, I have all the right gear.

We always look while going out to grid, etc. A two piece not zipped together is an easy catch out there... We have had issues with things like people needing proper boots, etc. It isn't done at tech, but we see it all the time...

Oh, you need a babysitter, alright!!:D

"novice" racer guy.

I wasn't calling you a novice per se. I just notice alot of guys on here treating women like I felt you just did. No offense to you. I am a researcher and being a previous trauma room nurse I've seen the devasting effects of not wearing proper equipment. Thus, as Julia Roberts would say...."I'm a safety girl". lol.

The reason I bought a separate set is b/c I feel way too confined in a one piece. I know it's weird but that's just the way I am. I have NO desire to ever race. I am sure I will be the slowest person on the track. The ONLY reason I want to get on the track is b/c I am having issues with corner speeds, what lines to take in turns, etc. etc. etc. I'm sick of people in groups simply leaving me and not having navigation to get me back home can be quite scary sometimes. I need a controlled environment where I don't have to worry about cars in the opposite direction crossing over.

My pants already have pucks. The ONLY thing I need to be "legal" on the track is a zipper for my bottoms and an extra back protector. If I were to buy another suit it would be much more than a simple zipper b/c I enjoy quality and I usually am willing to pay the price.

Iron pony gave me a phone number last february when I bought the stuff but I lost it in my home somewhere during remodeling. Boohoo!!!

And one more thing...he is my EX. Not current. :D

I wasn't calling you a novice per se. I just notice alot of guys on here treating women like I felt you just did. No offense to you. I am a researcher and being a previous trauma room nurse I've seen the devasting effects of not wearing proper equipment. Thus, as Julia Roberts would say...."I'm a safety girl". lol.

The reason I bought a separate set is b/c I feel way too confined in a one piece. I know it's weird but that's just the way I am. I have NO desire to ever race. I am sure I will be the slowest person on the track. The ONLY reason I want to get on the track is b/c I am having issues with corner speeds, what lines to take in turns, etc. etc. etc. I'm sick of people in groups simply leaving me and not having navigation to get me back home can be quite scary sometimes. I need a controlled environment where I don't have to worry about cars in the opposite direction crossing over.

My pants already have pucks. The ONLY thing I need to be "legal" on the track is a zipper for my bottoms and an extra back protector. If I were to buy another suit it would be much more than a simple zipper b/c I enjoy quality and I usually am willing to pay the price.

Iron pony gave me a phone number last february when I bought the stuff but I lost it in my home somewhere during remodeling. Boohoo!!!

And one more thing...he is my EX. Not current. :D

Again, I would suggest Spyderchick as she is probably the best person to sew zippers into leather stuff in a correct fashion that will match your jacket best. However, I think she has a flat fee of $125, but not sure (That's cheap)...

Her website is: http://www.spyderleatherworks.com/

By the way, who is your ex? Not Bill, is it? He's the only racer I know from CBus... Well, there were a few wannabes, but most were YSR guys...

By the way, who is your ex? Not Bill, is it? He's the only racer I know from CBus... Well, there were a few wannabes, but most were YSR guys...

Mums the word and I don't know who Bill is. This person was a "wannabe" as u put it. Don't think he's into it anymore. BAD break up and not gonna talk about the past. Looking to my bright future. lol. I simply brought that up just to show that I knew what I was talking about. Anyhoo, thanks for the information.

I'm glad you aren't a wanna be.

You know the saying

Those you can,do and Those that can't teach.

OR instruct what ever the case maybe.

I'm glad you aren't a wanna be.

You know the saying

Those you can,do and Those that can't teach.

OR instruct what ever the case maybe.

Well, the Bill I know was a Yamaha guy and was probably one of the fastest guys around here. I know it isn't him.

The others from CBus? Well, I can name names if you'd like, but they are certainly not established racers.

As far as your comment towards me, what the fuck? You trying to say something special? Say it instead of walking around it. There's plenty of "instructors" that can handle their own. I can give you a handful of guys that on any given day, could qualify for an AMA event. But I suppose you're better and faster, huh???

A lot of people claim they are racers or state they've raced. A few one off events and local based clubs don't count. Anyone can start out and do something - it's the ones that continue and go forward that count. They know who they are and they don't need to tell people how good they are. The guys I am refering to usually sound as if they are fresh off the MotoGP circuit. They have their own little fraternity of buddies and while fine, it usually gets a little deep when you hear them talk... So, when I hear racer, I typically roll my eyes...