FS S&W M&P Compact 9mm

Meanie

If recoil is a primary concern, has she looked at the Walther PK380? Its known for soft recoil.

It about the same size as the 709 Slim, but the PK380's recoil is just a bit heavier than a .22, and way less than any of the .380 pocket guns.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_bravenewwalther_200909/index.html

Well she likes the feel of the 709, so now my concern becomes recoil. I've called around to a few ranges trying to find one to rent. I'll have to call a few more places and see if I can find one.

• 2 weeks later...
When you pick it up, come over by here so I can shoot it. I'm looking to get something, and haven't made up my mind between M&P or XD, 9 or .40, or .45.

Dude you should have said something earlier, I have an XD .40 and the M&P 9c (well not anymore). You could have shot both of them at the same time....

Dude you should have said something earlier, I have an XD .40 and the M&P 9c (well not anymore). You could have shot both of them at the same time....

I know, I know. I shot Chebby's M&P 45 a while back, and now I'm looking to try out the XD, if anything. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the XD. It's XD (or XDM) or M&P, compact, probably in .40 that I've decided on.

meanie let me handle both of his when he had both, and i thought the XD felt better in my hand...didnt shoot either one though

I've handled both back to back at the gun store, and liked both. There are some reports of the recoil from the XD .40 being more than for other rounds, and in comparison to the M&P, which has a slightly lower barrel center line. I still may consider a 9 because it's "stopping power" is more than enough with the proper ammo, and the ammo is cheaper.

There are safety features unique to each model that I like, and that makes the decision even tougher.

There are some reports of the recoil from the XD .40 being more than for other rounds.

It is snappier, and that is typical of most 40's. I saw the same thing with the Glock's.

Hard to explain...the 9 or the .45 is a longer hard push....the 40 is a snap over a shorter period of time. Once I got used to it I found I can get the sight picture back much faster and much more accurately for follow up shots than with a .45 or even a 9. I can fast fire a clip with a much smaller grouping with a .40 But everyone is different.

Which goes back to the point of the current conversation, you should shoot everything you are considering buying before you buy it because again, everyone is different. Once you get to a 9 or bigger what does more damage or makes a better permanent cavity or what penetrates just right is just an internet message board dick size contest. Shot placement and correct ammo choice with the bigger calibers is all that matters for SD. Between ammo and rental fees and range time I dropped about 150 bucks deciding on the XDm .40, but the Glock 27 came in a very close second.