Registration renewal

Bad324

Of course the DMV is no help with answering this question as I've received 3 different answers. I bring this up because they sent me the registration renewal papers and it had me thinking. Here is my dilemma:

I have one bike but 2 plates since I sold the 636. I'm 99% sure I will have another bike by spring but trying to be patient and wait for the right deal and the stickers are up on March 24th. I was just going to do both and put the extra plate on whatever I get but it will still be registered as the 636 and I don't want to have to pay to renew then also pay to transfer the plates.

So question 1: Can I renew the 636 plate to a different bike without paying a transfer fee?

Question 2: Does the late fee penalty apply to a seasonal vehicle? I have heard it doesn't but haven't had a firm confirmation. I may or may not have another one by the time my birthday hits

No' date=' to both questions.

You can renew the tags for the 636 and not tell them it's sold, but you won't be legal until you actually transfer them to your new bike.[/quote']

If you register a vehicle (aka renew the plate) you have to have insurance on it. FYI. If you get one of the random letters asking to show proof of insurance, you'll be fuckered.

If you register a vehicle (aka renew the plate) you have to have insurance on it. FYI. If you get one of the random letters asking to show proof of insurance, you'll be fuckered.

so basically I need to wait until I purchase the next bike to renew that plate. Even it is after the expiration date I won't be charged a penalty. Thanks guys, these are the answers I needed. 3 different DMV's gave me conflicting answers, I don't know why I call them first instead of just asking here

So the seasonal thing is a no go? You do not have to pay the extra on seasonal tags? my birthday hits in October. I usually ride till november and then park all of them. The one lady here in Zanesville had no clue so I only re-upped the one set I thought I would be keeping.

Has the late fee been changed to apply to all vehicles now? This is on the bmv website and was on the wall when I renewed my license.

A late fee of $20 will be assessed to all driver license and vehicle registration renewal transactions if renewed more than seven days beyond the expiration date.

Has the late fee been changed to apply to all vehicles now? This is on the bmv website and was on the wall when I renewed my license.

A late fee of $20 will be assessed to all driver license and vehicle registration renewal transactions if renewed more than seven days beyond the expiration date.

This was my understanding too

Fauck yeah! They cant wait to charge you for that bullshit here in zanesville.

I argued with them last fall about the motorcycles and boat trailers PWC's and got a no response zombie stare! Well they dont know! But, as it stood then yes there would be a charge.

Well' date=' they must have recently changed the stipulations for that fee, because it didn't apply to motorcycles before.[/quote']

Before I was picked off by that deer they told me that at our bmv but like bad said you get a different answer everywhere you go

It was stated on the website that seasonal vehicles were exempt. Now it isn't.

According to the nice lady at the Ravenna DMV that I spoke with last week while I was in there, at their office, they will still waive the late fee for all motorcycles as well as boat trailers.

Fees are waived on motorcycles/water craft/farm trailer. My birthday is Jan 2, and I don't renew my bikes until the weather breaks, and the fee is waived for seasonal "vehicles."

Can also, renew for 2 years on personal vehicles now, so you wouldn't have to worry about it. Cost is double the regular fee, and they mail the 2nd year registration to you when they are needed.

Of course the DMV is no help with answering this question as I've received 3 different answers. I bring this up because they sent me the registration renewal papers and it had me thinking. Here is my dilemma:

I have one bike but 2 plates since I sold the 636. I'm 99% sure I will have another bike by spring but trying to be patient and wait for the right deal and the stickers are up on March 24th. I was just going to do both and put the extra plate on whatever I get but it will still be registered as the 636 and I don't want to have to pay to renew then also pay to transfer the plates.

So question 1: Can I renew the 636 plate to a different bike without paying a transfer fee?

Question 2: Does the late fee penalty apply to a seasonal vehicle? I have heard it doesn't but haven't had a firm confirmation. I may or may not have another one by the time my birthday hits

I don't know the answer to the first question, but for the second question the answer is yes. I was charged the late fee when I renewed late. According to the BMV there is no give on the late fee anymore. My tags expired 12/09 and when I renewed 4/10 I had the $20 fee. One thing you need to remember is that if you put tags on a vehicle that they are not registered to, it's an arrestable offense if you are stopped.

The 7 day thing has changed since April of last year. When it went into effect, it was zero tolerance. If it wasn't renewed by the expiration date the fee was charged.

This is semi-related to this thread...

License Search

National Motor Vehicle License Organization web site - offering a free searchable database of over 128 million U.S. driver's license photos. Search using the box below.

The United States amendment to the Freedom of Information Act enacted on Sept. 3rd 2008 provides public access to motor vehicle driver's information in an electronic format. Under the Motor Vehicle Operator License Identification Act (MOLIA), all US states are required to adhere to the Driver's statute and store an electronic copy of all valid drivers licenses in their state. We do our best to make all license photo's searchable.

Pretty ridiculous invasion of privacy :nono:. You can go in and hide your record though, so that's what I did.

So the plate for my bike has been expired over three years - if I go to "renew" it there is going to be a $20 surcharge? Can I just pretend it was never registered and get a new plate?

I had car plates that were 2 1/2 years old. I was told that after 365 days of being expired, they drop out of the BMV system and that plate number goes back into the pool for new plates.

So, maybe you can register your bike like it was never plated. :-)

Or, they may keep some kind of record history despite plates "expiring".

If you sold Bike #1, you technically can't renew it because the VIN is now registered to the new owner. So, the tag is technically not expired because it's not on anything. So, when you get the new bike, either take that old tag in (if it has sentimental value or something) or just let them issue you a new one as it is going to cost you about the same either way. The late fee shouldn't apply since it wasn't on anything.

• 1 month later...