What does "@" mean? What's "internet"?

chevysoldier

wow that takes me back. in 94 I was already online (prodigy) and BBS before that.

I remember paying $1000 for my first pc in 1990, it was a Canon and was only a 50mhz with something like 100mb hard drive.

I was using several BBS's back then before the net.

Was also "online" well before that, BBS and all that crap. First computer I remember spending too much time on was when I was 8 or so and on a TI-99 4/a. I took an Apple Basic class my first or second year in Jr High when I lived in California. I didn't get my first real web development offer until '96; that was from Ziff-Davis (ZDNet) with an offer to relocate to the Bay Area.

I did the BBS thing, even had a second phone line at home as a kid. I remember registering for an account on the Cleveland Freenet in the early 90s but never really understood its purpose. The first time I really saw what we now know as the internet was when I started college in 95. I specifically remember being in a computer lab and asking a stereotypical computer-nerd-looking-type "How do I find anything on here?" He told me to "type in www.webcrawler.com," and I thought to myself, "dammit, I'm not interested in Spiderman comic book crap." I probably used Webcrawler as my search engine for over a decade after that, until I finally caved to Google...