New to track days or want to try it out? Check in here!

Moto-Brian

Why are you not wanting to do a track day?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you not wanting to do a track day?

• I am afraid of being made fun of.
    • I am worried about crashing my bike.
    • I am afraid of getting hurt.
    • I am intimidated and not sure what to do.
    • I am a good enough rider now and don't need to ride the track to prove it.
    • I want to, but don't have a bike that is good for track use.
    • I don't have a way to get to the track.
    • I would, but do not know what to get ready on my bike or what gear I need. EDUCATE ME!
    • I got more than enough going on with the hookers I have around here.
    • Did someone say there is free Blow at these events?

Great video from STG!

Oh.. They left out.. "You can't be in novice unless you have Ohlins suspension and a GO Pro Camera" - Quote from the announcement guy at Jennings last year! LOL

The gopro is an option, the ohlins is a must for all novice. Even the ones that don't go over 55mph on the straights. Also for novice, you must have slicks and race fuel.

I've been to (2) track days so far so let me tell about my experience for the folks that haven't been but might be considering. I've only been to Mid Ohio so I don't know about other tracks. I rode down to Mid Ohio from North Ridgeville on both Monday & Tuesday morning. After the riders meeting the first day, when we broke off into the Novice group they asked who had never been on a track before. Those that raised their hands were told to go into group 1 of 5 in the Novice group. When we had all broken into groups they said that there were too many in group 1 so I volunteered to go into group 2. I was glad that I did this because group 1 rode at a very conservative road pace for the rest of the day. Group 2 was better for me as we were probably hitting 120/130 in the straights & learning the lines through the curves. On Tuesday I elected to join group 4 of Novice. This was a lot of fun as we were doing 155/160 in the straights & quite a bit faster than the 1st day in the curves. I got my knee down once but while deliberatly thinking about dragging a knee the rest of the group was getting away from me so I caught up & didn't think about the knee the rest of the day. Both days the coaching was great. They do have a set routine in the novice group. First you follow coach, later you start leapfrogging, taking turns at the lead with the coach directly behind you to critique. When I got home on Tuesday I had to call all my friends & tell them what a life altering experience I just had. If you're thinking about it, my advice is to sign up & don't worry too much. I'm in the process of getting my own track suit & I'll be doing more than (2) days this year for sure. (There's no gravel, Amish buggys, or dogs, etc, etc, etc on the track).

Group 2 was better for me as we were probably hitting 120/130 in the straights

This makes me smile. I mean no offense, as I was probably one of the worst first-time riders ever to turn a wheel on a race track, but on a 600 (admittedly with -1/+2 gearing) I will hit the rev limiter in 6th gear on the back straight at Mid-Ohio; at least I should - if I get shitty drive out of the keyhole, I probably won't.

It's just fun to look back and think about how much I've improved since my first trackday.

Anyone who does their first day should definitely memorialize it with its own thread. Years later, you'll dig it up and smile about the things that seemed so hard.

You still ride an orange and brown turd.

:D

Just sayin'.

But on that topic, I have seen a huge improvement with just a handful of days last year. It really does well to transition from track to street as far as knowledge that you can do things you wouldn't think possible (i.e. avoiding certain cager situations when needed, etc.).

I still take pride in the fact that I was faster than Walther (aka. no more track daying Tom).

:popcorn:

If you know where there's a track event with hookers and blow there'd be little doubt the track would grid very few people except for the gheys (and you know who you are out there....blue03....jbot....rvtpilot).

Hey, at least people have seen my wife. She doesn't "live in another part of the state" as you say. :D

Hey, at least people have seen my wife. She doesn't "live in another part of the state" as you say. :D

Dick

:mad:

I think I've got her talked into coming to Beaver with me this year. And I already told her if she backs out I'm coming down to deliver her the divorce papers. :D