New to track days or want to try it out? Check in here!

Moto-Brian

Why are you not wanting to do a track day?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you not wanting to do a track day?

• I am afraid of being made fun of.
    • I am worried about crashing my bike.
    • I am afraid of getting hurt.
    • I am intimidated and not sure what to do.
    • I am a good enough rider now and don't need to ride the track to prove it.
    • I want to, but don't have a bike that is good for track use.
    • I don't have a way to get to the track.
    • I would, but do not know what to get ready on my bike or what gear I need. EDUCATE ME!
    • I got more than enough going on with the hookers I have around here.
    • Did someone say there is free Blow at these events?

I see that the two leading issues are:

1) Afraid of crashing one's bike.

The thing here to think about is that whenever we have seen Novice group crashes occur, it is due to a few things that can easily be avoided. The riders get in over their heads. It usually is a deal where the rider towards the second half of the day get a little too confident and run off track and crash. The speeds are much slower in Novice and if you can suck up the pride and harness the ego, you really shouldn't have any issue concerning this. Don't worry about "keeping up" or trying to impress the coach.

If you ride within your means, keep a little fear in the back of your mind and IF - IFFFF you start to worry about keeping up, etc AND TALK TO A COACH, we and they can adapt to you to comfort you as you are out there or assist in getting you the tools needed to stay safe and have fun.

2) I don't have a bike suited for track use.

Stop and reflect on that. The biggest thing to realize is that the bike you have now is a bike that you SHOULD be very comfortable with. Now, if you have a Yamaha Virago, then yes... You need a more suitable bike. But, if you have a Ninja 250 and think you need a 600, you are off base. Hell, even if you have a Busa and think you need a 600, same deal. It is more about what you are comfortable with. A lot of guys and gals come out on bikes maybe not the best choice for Advanced track day riding, but more than enough to ride in Novice and even Intermediate groups.

If the bike is a sporty machine, a naked sport styled bike, a motard based machine or even a sport tourer, you are good to go. Heck, we've seen sporty cruisers like the 883/1200 HDs. They do perfectly fine. Ground clearance is an issue, but the result is that the rider is still having a blast and learning. They just are held back slightly from being more aggressive due to the pegs, etc. One of the best bikes is a motard. They are light, easy to handle and really shouldn't get you into an over your head situation.

Just food for thought...

If you can, you may want to unplug or pull the fuse to your headlight and tail light. This just helps so the painters tape doesn't get baked on and some orgs don't want to be able to see the tail light through the tape.

AWESOME point! Almost forgot. Having a race bike tends to have me forgetting some details! :p

Just a little additional thing on the "using water" for coolant. If you do decide to replace your coolant please do not use tap water. Go buy yourself a couple gallons of distilled water. I personally use Engine Ice which is approved for some orgs but not others (for some reason). This is because it will actually provide some freezing protection and doesn't need to be drained every year like straight water would. If you have a dedicated track bike this might be moot, but if you plan on using your street bike as double duty then it can save you a good bit of time and effort.

That is all.

:D

Just a little additional thing on the "using water" for coolant. If you do decide to replace your coolant please do not use tap water. Go buy yourself a couple gallons of distilled water. I personally use Engine Ice which is approved for some orgs but not others (for some reason). This is because it will actually provide some freezing protection and doesn't need to be drained every year like straight water would. If you have a dedicated track bike this might be moot, but if you plan on using your street bike as double duty then it can save you a good bit of time and effort.

That is all.

Again, straight water offers no lubricating property. You really need to add at minimal, Water Wetter. And, that's pretty old school...

Engine Ice is illegal in about every racing org as it contains synthetic glycol stuff. Glycol is bad, may?:D

But, it is allowed by a lot of track day companies for some reason vs race series. My personal opinion is that whatever AMA, WERA and CCS/ASRA allow should be the norm across the board with every track day company...

Right from the website for Engine Ice:

"For the 2010 Road Racing season, Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is legal in AMA, CCS and FUSA road racing."

Now that was for last year and I don't know if there are any changes for 2011.

I'm interested in where your information is coming from. I would be surprised if they are publishing false data, but it has been known to happen.

Right from the website for Engine Ice:

"For the 2010 Road Racing season, Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is legal in AMA, CCS and FUSA road racing."

Now that was for last year and I don't know if there are any changes for 2011.

I'm interested in where your information is coming from. I would be surprised if they are publishing false data, but it has been known to happen.

WERA does not. I am thinking that CCS has changed that also, but not sure... It has a Propylene Glycol base to it and technically speaking, is not allowed in AMA or CCS. However, they both state via the rulebooks that ethylene glycol is not permitted...

The issue is that simply put, glycol is slippery and freaking sucks to clean up. The reality is that the AMA and CCS rulebooks are technically outdated under this topic. They really need to state that nothing with GLYCOL is permitted or allowed. But, rules are rules and Engine Ice creeps under the radar with those orgs because of it.

Glycol allows the anti-freezing capabilities. That's a no-no...

How so? Painters tape and a few minutes removing mirrors, etc. Bike is prepped!

For yourself, again - suit rentals so you don't have to buy and of course, the option of loaners...

It's probably cheaper than people imagine and is WAY cheaper than an organized trip on your bikes for a weekend...

I suppose so, it just adds up. Misc gear, trailering bike (gas, possible rental trailer, etc), place to stay if not in Columbus, all that. I'd love to some day though

I suppose so, it just adds up. Misc gear, trailering bike (gas, possible rental trailer, etc), place to stay if not in Columbus, all that. I'd love to some day though

No offense, but sounds like a weak excuse to me...closeout gear can be purchased cheap at Iron Pony, plus you should already have the majority of it from your street riding (helmets, boots, gloves). If you don't want to buy a suit you can rent one.

You don't need to rent a trailer as the majority of people are coming from Columbus so you can trailer with someone.

Most tracks allow camping so that takes out the expense of needing a place to stay (unless you are too much of a pretty boy like dubguy and can't camp).

No offense, but sounds like a weak excuse to me...closeout gear can be purchased cheap at Iron Pony, plus you should already have the majority of it from your street riding (helmets, boots, gloves). If you don't want to buy a suit you can rent one.

You don't need to rent a trailer as the majority of people are coming from Columbus so you can trailer with someone.

Most tracks allow camping so that takes out the expense of needing a place to stay (unless you are too much of a pretty boy like dubguy and can't camp).

Oh andy you can't camp? And I was so looking forward to having a fun this summer

Oh andy you can't camp? And I was so looking forward to having a fun this summer

HAHA shit! It would be cheaper for me to get a hotel then to buy a sleeping bag and tent and everything else.. I always laugh when I feel great at 6am in the morning and the people at the track feel like crap because it was like 30 degrees at night or like 85 at night and couldn't sleep.. At putnam I stay with my parents, Mid O I stay at my own place, Grattan or Gingerman I'll stay at my old college house.. Any other track is a hotel.. ANyone is welcome to stay on the floor or extra bed in my hotel room! :)

It takes a bed to ride that good...:confused:

HAHA!! Absolutely not! I am not fast! I just like to look fast in the pits! :D

i sleep like a corpse anywhere and everywhere, so i'm happy to camp. also, i'm a cheap bastard. actually, it's mostly the cheap bastard part.

although, just don't try to sleep in a g35 coupe even with the back seat folded down, where your upper torso is on the folded down part and your legs are in the trunk, diagonally oriented. the location itself isn't so bad (i'm short), but if it's 75+ and humid, it gets VERY uncomfortable in the car. lololol

the one time, i did sleep like that, but it was chilly in the evening/morning, so i slept well with the dog next to me.

i hear chickens make excellent pets?

at first, the dog and i were gonna sleep on my trailer under a sleeping bag, but he wouldn't lay down and go to sleep (I don't think he ever slept outside, so maybe he was nervous?) so i took him into the car, and he just passed out. so did i. stupid dog, GAWD

agree, it's not much of an excuse and nothing that can't be overcome if i make the time

i hear chickens make excellent pets?

at first, the dog and i were gonna sleep on my trailer under a sleeping bag, but he wouldn't lay down and go to sleep (I don't think he ever slept outside, so maybe he was nervous?) so i took him into the car, and he just passed out. so did i. stupid dog, GAWD

By pass out, do you mean marinaded in soy sauce and ginger, grilled and served with a side of rice and kim chee?

• Upvote 1

HAHA shit! It would be cheaper for me to get a hotel then to buy a sleeping bag and tent and everything else.. I always laugh when I feel great at 6am in the morning and the people at the track feel like crap because it was like 30 degrees at night or like 85 at night and couldn't sleep.. At putnam I stay with my parents, Mid O I stay at my own place, Grattan or Gingerman I'll stay at my old college house.. Any other track is a hotel.. ANyone is welcome to stay on the floor or extra bed in my hotel room! :)

HAHA!! Absolutely not! I am not fast! I just like to look fast in the pits! :D

Hahaha ya dubguy that's exactly why you won't camp:rolleyes:

What would the approximate total cost be for a track day (I would need to rent a suit)? I always wanted to do one of these. After dumping the bike two summers ago I got really into improving my riding. I learned a lot from reading, but would love some actual instruction.