New to track days or want to try it out? Check in here!

Moto-Brian

Why are you not wanting to do a track day?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you not wanting to do a track day?

• I am afraid of being made fun of.
    • I am worried about crashing my bike.
    • I am afraid of getting hurt.
    • I am intimidated and not sure what to do.
    • I am a good enough rider now and don't need to ride the track to prove it.
    • I want to, but don't have a bike that is good for track use.
    • I don't have a way to get to the track.
    • I would, but do not know what to get ready on my bike or what gear I need. EDUCATE ME!
    • I got more than enough going on with the hookers I have around here.
    • Did someone say there is free Blow at these events?

Ok...I am doing my first track day April 2nd through Team Chicago at Grattan Track. Super excited but also nervous!!!!! Any tips out there???? :p

i wish you the best of luck with the weather. i'll be going to nelson in mid april, so i need lots of luck too.

i would type out a big thing about what to take, etc, but I already did it like 2-3 times. peruse the track day forum, and you'll see quite a few tips.

Ok...I am doing my first track day April 2nd through Team Chicago at Grattan Track. Super excited but also nervous!!!!! Any tips out there???? :p

Stay loose on the bike & listen to the instructors & you'll have no problems.

I've been trying to punch a hole in my schedule to do my first track day next month. I'm going to Vegas for mine though, I think. Its the Yamaha Champions riding school and they provide the bike, instructors and videos. Its a two or three day deal and pretty expensive but hey, its Vegas. And I can get a deal at the Hard Rock.

Anyone know any of the pros/cons of the Yamaha school I didn't mention already?

I've been trying to punch a hole in my schedule to do my first track day next month. I'm going to Vegas for mine though, I think. Its the Yamaha Champions riding school and they provide the bike, instructors and videos. Its a two or three day deal and pretty expensive but hey, its Vegas. And I can get a deal at the Hard Rock.

Anyone know any of the pros/cons of the Yamaha school I didn't mention already?

Phenomenal choice and a great school. Nick is awesome as he is great at presenting things in a down earth level to the students.

Also check out Swantz school as they are one of the best schools as well. The schools you've been looking at are very good and very extensive. You'll get your money's worth.

I have the Alpinestars SM-X2 boots already, would these be acceptable for the average track day or would I need something taller?

222408_large.jpg

Will depend on the length of your leathers. Make sure there is no possibility of the bottom of your leathers to pull out of your boot. More than likely you will need taller boots.

I have the Alpinestars SM-X2 boots already, would these be acceptable for the average track day or would I need something taller?

222408_large.jpg

Novice group is iffy. The truth is that it states "over the ankle boots" for every track day org I have seen. These are borderline in my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't want to wear those at the track. Even with longer suit legs, once in tucked and seated position, the legs will pull up and expose your ankles and above...

I'm with them, they would probably be ok for novice, but the full length boots are much preferred. If you are too much of a cheap bastard to get proper stuff, confirm with the trackday org just to make sure

My answer is- I don't have the money to spend on track and touring. So, I choose to do touring because I like to get LOST. It's hard to get lost on a track. :D

If and when I can spend as much as I need on tires, gas, gear, track time, ect. I will be all in. Doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

So it just leaves me with wandering on day trips taking as many pictures as I feel, stopping when I feel , for as long as I feel.

It's the feeling, You know this man. It's why we do it, all of it!

Edited by Lost1888

222408_large.jpg

There are some really good deals on WERA to be had...thats where I got my Sidis and i havent even been to the track. i wear em on every spirited ride. My point being, if the track doesnt work out atleast the boot will be useful. You can find a good used pair for around 150 or so.

Its easy to feel lost on the track!

I was thinking about that post and can understand.getting lost on the track. Maybe I should have thought it through better.

Someday I'll get there. Maybe Nelson on a open day or something.

I would be very wary of any "open" trackdays. They're very rare for bikes, and that is a terrible way to learn...

p.s. the WERA classifieds section is disappearing soon and moving to www.weraclassifieds.com. Free to brows, but $10 to post bikes, and $.99 to post anything else.

the selection of parts and gear will fall off for a while while people re-list stuff. Many probably won't realize the old classifieds disappeared.

• 1 month later...

so I was at Iron Pony this weekend and being cheap I found and tried on a Fieldsheer 2pc Radar suit. They had em for like $250 or $350 and was curious if this kind would do just to get me started?

Right now I prefer the idea of a 2pc because I feel I'd get more use out of it over a 1pc

so I was at Iron Pony this weekend and being cheap I found and tried on a Fieldsheer 2pc Radar suit. They had em for like $250 or $350 and was curious if this kind would do just to get me started?

Right now I prefer the idea of a 2pc because I feel I'd get more use out of it over a 1pc

Yes, it would be fine to get you started.

www.spartanleathers.com also has factory replica suits for $250 on clearance. Not sure if they're 2-piece, but you can't be the price for an entry level suit.

**edit - they have 1-piece for Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki. 2-piece is only in Suzuki (that I could find) http://www.spartanleathers.com/main/store/closeouts/suzuki2pcreplicasuit?zenid=ub4tbbj8nkd5c89llaj4cfpel5

Or you would probably fit my 1-piece that I'm getting ready to post for sale. My 'new' suit arrives no later than Wednesday, so unless it fits horribly, mine will be up for sale this week.

www.spartanleathers.com also has factory replica suits for $250 on clearance. Not sure if they're 2-piece, but you can't be the price for an entry level suit.

**edit - they have 1-piece for Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki. 2-piece is only in Suzuki (that I could find) http://www.spartanleathers.com/main/store/closeouts/suzuki2pcreplicasuit?zenid=ub4tbbj8nkd5c89llaj4cfpel5

Or you would probably fit my 1-piece that I'm getting ready to post for sale. My 'new' suit arrives no later than Wednesday, so unless it fits horribly, mine will be up for sale this week.

I'm 5'10" and currently 230 so finding a suit to fit right I'm assuming will be a tad difficult. Although A* now have the "American Cut" 1pc suit that is tailored for individuals of my stature but I still kinda want an entry level 2pc. If I decide the track is my thing and I plan on doing a lot, then I'd look at getting a better 1pc

The Fieldsheer I tried was a 48 and may have been just a tad on the loose side so a 46 might work. How that compares to other manufacturers I have no idea. Iron Pony was packed and I have little patience when it comes to trying things on so I was already tired after trying 2 suits and figured I'd just try some more next time I pass through Columbus

I'm 5'10" and currently 230 so finding a suit to fit I'm assuming will be a tad difficult.

The Fieldsheer I tried was a 48 and may have been just a tad on the loose side so a 46 might work. How that compares to other manufacturers I have no idea. Iron Pony was packed and I have little patience when it comes to trying things on so I was already tired after trying 2 suits and figured I'd just try some more next time I pass through Columbus

My dad is selling a one piece joe rocket suit that has been worn one trackday for $350. He is 5 10 and 200lb and its a bit loose on him.. Let me know if you'd like to try it on.. He has a potential buyer already, but if nothing comes of it, I'll see if I can snag it.

I have a 2-piece as well. It was mainly because I had trouble finding a good fit for my almost-Adonis-like build. I have a long (and well-rounded) torso with very short legs. I say like a bulldog, wife say more like a fat basset hound...W.E.

I ended up getting an A* jacket and then got separate A* leather pants. It still doesn't fit perfect, but better than any one piece I've tried.

Someday I'll get some custom sized Pilot leathers...or I could save some money and hit the gym...yeah, who am I kidding....probably the custom leathers built for a basset hound...