New to track days or want to try it out? Check in here!

Moto-Brian

Why are you not wanting to do a track day?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you not wanting to do a track day?

• I am afraid of being made fun of.
    • I am worried about crashing my bike.
    • I am afraid of getting hurt.
    • I am intimidated and not sure what to do.
    • I am a good enough rider now and don't need to ride the track to prove it.
    • I want to, but don't have a bike that is good for track use.
    • I don't have a way to get to the track.
    • I would, but do not know what to get ready on my bike or what gear I need. EDUCATE ME!
    • I got more than enough going on with the hookers I have around here.
    • Did someone say there is free Blow at these events?

Wait, wait. KTM there will be hookers and blow at your events? OMG, whats the hotline again? I am in for all of them.

But for real, I feel trackdays are way better and safer(flame suit on) than street.

The KTM events ALWAYS will have hookers and blow. It is all in garage 13 at Mid-Ohio. You know, the "secret garage"...

how about it's expensive to track prep your bike and yourself?

How so? Painters tape and a few minutes removing mirrors, etc. Bike is prepped!

For yourself, again - suit rentals so you don't have to buy and of course, the option of loaners...

It's probably cheaper than people imagine and is WAY cheaper than an organized trip on your bikes for a weekend...

anyone concerned about buying dozens of tires know this - i used my good ol michelin pilot powers, not even the new 2ct technology, and ran those tires all the way up through novice, intermediate, and into advanced class.

you don't need 500 dollar a set slicks and warmers to do trackdays and go fast.

as for prep, most if not all trackday organizations make it super easy to start into track riding.

When you're leaning in on a hairpin at 50mph right after a guy just broke his radiator and hoses all over the track from hard lowside the session before... water is appreciated. Glycol is a bit harder to clean up (evaporate) and much more slippery than water.

Edited by JRMMiii

I'm dense. Not following you. Greasy spots?

Ever spill antifreeze before in your garage and had to try and clean it up? Can't ever really get it all up and is usually still slick. It is a PIA to clean the track because someone spilled fluid when they crashed or blew up. Water works just fine as coolant and is 10X easier to clean.

When you're leaning in on a hairpin at 50mph right after a guy just broke his radiator and hoses all over the track from hard lowside the session before... water is appreciated. Glycol is a bit harder to clean up (evaporate) and much more slippery than water.

Not true at all. If it is bone dry and a guy crashes and leaks water in the same corner, you will probably go down as well. Slick is slick - dry to wet isn't going to be a fun outcome.

But, you are mostly right. The idea is that water cleans up easily. The Glycol in coolant is the issue. It is VERY difficult to get out of the pores of the pavement and leaves behind a slimy, slick residue.

Again, tough to clean, slick residue = tough time after it happens. If it occurs promptly after a crash and you have to lean over and ride through - water or coolant will probably put you on your ear.

Also, water alone is a bad idea in your cooling system. Anyone that says it is fine alone hasn't taken their water pump apart and seen what straight water will do to it.

The use of Water Wetter, Kool-Aide and others allows the pump to be lubricated and lowers the boiling point also. The lubrication process is the biggest key.

Not sure what every track day allows, but the rule of thumb is that Water Wetter (Primitive and old school) or Maxima Kool-Aide are the two most recommended and safest to use. Plus, as easy as regular water to clean up...

not required, though very highly recommended to change over since it is usually easy enough... i did manage to fuck it up a few times, and gave my driveway a couple money shots of water wetter and distilled water while trying to get the air out of the system. the neighbors were very impressed.

anyway, i shouldn't be one to talk, i'm all about "min requirements".

I've been wanting to do the track day thing for a bit now. Haven't had it gel yet.

2 years ago I was bikeless.

1 year ago I was gearless.

This year I have an "Almighty R6" ... the MX-1, SP-R Pro's, Sidi's and an Arai. I think I'm ready.

LOL

I would eventually like to get another Ninja 250 to do a track day(s) on. I would rather have my virgin track day on something like that to help build my riding skills. From all of the videos and stories from those that do track days, it sounds like a blast.

Plus keep in mind (and I'm not up to date on all orgs) most orgs don't require this for novice, you can keep the antifreeze in for novice.

This is true. The reason being is simple - making it as easy for a first time rider to get to the track and try it out. Draining the fluids, safety wiring, etc are all things we as track day riders feel are easy and essential, but if required, it then becomes a bit of a labor intensive amount of work and some things towards the bike that are tough to swallow for a first time track day rider.

So, this is the easiest list to follow for the first time track day rider:

1) Tape (Painters Blue Tape) headlight, tail light and any reflectors

2) Remove mirrors.

3) Use DUCT TAPE and tape over wheel weights - even the clip on style.

4) one or two piece suit. Cordura is acceptable in most novice programs. Again, ease of getting to the track. If two piece, needs a 360 degree zipper.

5) Gauntlet style gloves. This means they just need to cover the cuff on your jacket or suit.

6) Boots that cover your ankles. While not recommended, we have seen many a set of work boots, military boots, etc. But, with closeouts around, boots are a cheap thing to buy and something to really consider for street use.

Other than that, nothing else needed. Street tires are fine. Regular pump gas. No drilling, no silicone, no water replacing coolant, nothing.

Really, no excuses on the prep side of things.