New to track days or want to try it out? Check in here!

Moto-Brian

Why are you not wanting to do a track day?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you not wanting to do a track day?

• I am afraid of being made fun of.
    • I am worried about crashing my bike.
    • I am afraid of getting hurt.
    • I am intimidated and not sure what to do.
    • I am a good enough rider now and don't need to ride the track to prove it.
    • I want to, but don't have a bike that is good for track use.
    • I don't have a way to get to the track.
    • I would, but do not know what to get ready on my bike or what gear I need. EDUCATE ME!
    • I got more than enough going on with the hookers I have around here.
    • Did someone say there is free Blow at these events?

Ok, there are some polls and some threads discussing track days. Most of those are from members on here that are already track day riders or racers.

So, my questions are directed to the general population that do not ride track days, but may want to try them out or what it would take to get you to one.

What I am looking for is what would make you as a new track day rider WANT to give this a shot?

Many of the available track days listed in Dubguy's poll thread are VERY much welcoming to new track day riders.

Some things to consider:

Look for a track day that has an extensive Novice program. Meaning, classroom sessions to which you are taught some basic track day info and then sent out to implement these ideas. Street and track are VERY different and the things we learn on the street most often do not apply to track. HOWEVER, track riding translates into MUCH better street riding ability and safety.

Also, consider the Intermediate group. Does it include solid one on one instruction if need be? Are the coaches creditable and accomplished? Are you able to get attention from coaches out on the track? I think that every track day org listed has this covered so, it is pretty much a give me. But, these are things that you need to ask about and consider.

Another thing to look at is doing a 2 day trace day event. Reason being is that many first time track day riders are somewhat overwhelmed with all the info, the newness of riding in an environment that is different and just plain ol' intimidated. If you do two days, the second day is MUCH more fun, more relaxed and usually, leads to bigger and better results in your riding.

Typically, we see more and more new riders wanting to come back for more or wished they had signed up for the next day.

Anyways, I want to hear what you all have to say. This is a GREAT sport and is also a great way to better yourself as a rider. Many on here may disagree, but you will learn more as a rider on the track than years riding on the street. It isn't so much about seat time as the guys that travel across the US have more of that - it is more about learning what a machine will do, what it can do and the aspect that you as a rider will grow much faster in ability level if learning in a controlled environment.

Just food for thought... Let's hear some voices!

• Upvote 1

I just wanted to say that as for someone not thinking they have the right bike, I remember during a track day there were 2 guys on Kawasaki Concours in Novice in the 1st group that were railing right up front. They had a blast and said they learned a lot as well.

I just wanted to post that so people don't think they have to have a PURE race bred motorcycle.:cool:

I think if you can use a tax return some year or something many should try just 1 if any at all.

I just wanted to say that as for someone not thinking they have the right bike, I remember during a track day there were 2 guys on Kawasaki Concours in Novice

^ +1

the mechanical condition of the bike matters 1,000 times more than the model and style of bike. If it holds fluids, has solid brakes, and your tires aren't bald or cracking, suit up and ride.

Edited by redkow97
other replies made my "^" not make sense...

I just wanted to say that as for someone not thinking they have the right bike, I remember during a track day there were 2 guys on Kawasaki Concours in Novice in the 1st group that were railing right up front. They had a blast and said they learned a lot as well.

I just wanted to post that so people don't think they have to have a PURE race bred motorcycle.:cool:

I think if you can use a tax return some year or something many should try just 1 if any at all.

That's why I put that up there. A LOT of people think they need a specific style bike or a track purpose bike and it just isn't so. I have seen just about everything...

Free blow! Before I did one I went out and watched.. I drove up and saw the Advanced guys and was scared to death.. I then saw the novice group go out in groups and some fast and some slow.. I said "i can do that" so I went out there and did it next track day.. I sucked! I have a picture somewhere of my slow ass..

Here is my first trackday ever.

merace1.jpg

merace4.jpg

Here is a video from my 2nd trackday ever

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/Blacktuscani317/?action=view&current=motoGPweekend069.mp4

Here is a few of me in my last 2 trackdays

ginger2.jpg

Jennings023.jpg

Here is a video of my passing APCh8r :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4ofAcYXFk

Brian, I know one thing I have heard from people I have tried to get to go is they feel they may be really slow.

With the novice group it's not so much about speed but just learning what they are teaching you.

Yup. They worry about speed, being too slow for the group, etc. You know as well as most, we have had people so slow in Novice group due to being literally sacred that we have taken them one on one the whole day to build confidence and give them peace of mind so they can absorb what we are trying to teach them. In most cases, it has led to them becoming much more confident and at the end of the day, at pace.

My first track day I rode a RSVR 1000 at Reg Pridmore's Star course at Mid Ohio. Played follow the leader, did some braking work, and got pulled in by an EX500 around turn four. Who cares?

On a different Aprilia, and after a dozen or so more track days can go quite a bit faster. Who knows, maybe I'll still get pulled in off of four by that EX500... Still don't care, because I'll be grinning like a damn fool the whole time.

I've considered this for a few years. If I do a track day...

Next, I'll go out and buy a race bike, leathers, dozens of sets of tires. I know it would be a blast, but I just don't anbother expensive hobby.

The thing is that street tires are perfectly fine. They will last NUMEROUS track days and definitely not get destroyed or worn to the point of useless after a weekend of riding the track. Now, in Advanced? Maybe a little, but we run our Race Orange RC8Rs with street tires and I punish them only to see them laugh in my face and keep going...

As for gear, you can typically rent suits with most ors anymore. That's a minimal cost or simply ask for someone to lend you a set. I probably have 10 suits hanging in the garage.

Race bike - see my response to nick above...

Agreed. As a still new to track riding chump (because 3 track days doesn't make me as cool as blue or KTM :D ), I can say that the keys taught are: throttle control, braking, and body position. There are more but those are usually the top ones and what I took away the most.

As Craig (blue03636) stated, it's not about how slow you are. People learn at different rates and you if you're a quicker learner than those in your group you'll get move up to a faster novice group or ask to go up a group or two. And the opposite can happen, if things are moving too fast for you, ask to move down (which I have actually seen happen).

I think one thing I can say to new riders is: Check your ego at the track entrance. You are there to learn all that you can, so don't come in thinking you're going to be in the fastest novice group.

My first track day I rode a RSVR 1000 at Reg Pridmore's Star course at Mid Ohio. Played follow the leader, did some braking work, and got pulled in by an EX500 around turn four. Who cares?

On a different Aprilia, and after a dozen or so more track days can go quite a bit faster. Who knows, maybe I'll still get pulled in off of four by that EX500... Still don't care, because I'll be grinning like a damn fool the whole time.

This is the exact response we want. I call it a "shit eaten' grin" that I look for in the faces of the newbies. Hell, I still get one a lot...

One thing that needs to be understood is to check the ego at the gate. There is ALWAYS going to be someone faster on a smaller bike, with less seat time, by first time riders, by experienced pro racers, etc. The list goes on and on.

The idea is to become a better rider. Broaden the ability level in an effort to increase what I call "Reserve" when the shit hits the fan.

if ANYONE thinks they're going to be too slow, I have a story for you that will make you feel a million times better.

it involves a GSXR 600 with under 200 miles on it, and a rider who didn't want to break 50 on the straights. Not exaggerating. (Craig, you might actually have been there to witness this as well)

I'm sure the coaches/instructors/control riders have ALL dealt with someone slower than you too.

Edited by redkow97

if ANYONE thinks they're going to be too slow, I have a story for you that will make you feel a million times better.

it involves a GSXR 600 with under 200 miles on it, and a rider who didn't want to break 50 on the straights. Not exaggerating.

I'm sure the coaches/instructors/control riders have ALL dealt with someone slower than you too.

HAHAHA!! Ive never heard of something THAT bad.. Yikes! U should have taped up the speedo!

HAHAHA!! Ive never heard of something THAT bad.. Yikes! U should have taped up the speedo!

I remember at mid ohio when Chris Calovini's wife was riding she was going close to that. Also, when she started on the bike she couldn't touch the ground, but she was still out there riding.

I remember at mid ohio when Chris Calovini's wife was riding she was going close to that. Also, when she started on the bike she couldn't touch the ground, but she was still out there riding.

Props to her! Worst I saw was a girl at putnam and it was her 2nd month of riding EVER! But now she bought a track bike and has done probably 8 track days and slowly but surely getting faster!

i've always been interested simply to learn and become a better rider and one of these days ill grow some balls and actually do it. I picked these in the poll because of this

*I am worried about crashing my bike.

*I am afraid of getting hurt. I'm a big pansy and hate pain and surgery

*I am intimidated and not sure what to do. but I know I'll learn a lot quickly so its only a mild factor

*I would, but do not know what to get ready on my bike or what gear I need. EDUCATE ME! I know a little from reading here but definitely not enough

i've always been interested simply to learn and become a better rider and one of these days ill grow some balls and actually do it. I picked these in the poll because of this

*I am intimidated and not sure what to do. but I know I'll learn a lot quickly so its only a mild factor

*I would, but do not know what to get ready on my bike or what gear I need. EDUCATE ME! I know a little from reading here but definitely not enough

I'm a big pansy too, and don't want to get hurt, but I ride within my limits, and I'm a better rider now because of the track. I feel like I'm less likey to get hurt now that I have gotten better in all aspects of riding due to the track.. Just be smooth an stay within yourself.. You'll be fine :D

As for crashing, treat it like a street ride with a really wide road and everyone goes the same direction. DONT'T ride over your head and focus on what you are learning.

As for getting ready some of the orgs have different things they require so you may want to check out the orgs site to see what needs done. Here are a few examples. : http://motoseries.com/trackday_info.htm and http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/track-day-regulations.html

As for gear 1 or 2 pc suit (2 pc must zip together)(these can also be rented for $35 or so per day, riding boots that go above the ankel, damage free DOT or SNELL helmet, gauntlet gloves with full wrist coverage.

For the novice rider on some of the orgs it is a lead follow for the first 4-5 20 min sessions. After that you can go on your own (with the instructors still floating around) or you can still do the lead follow and mix it up a little with you going in front for a little and the instructor getting back in front of you to try and help.

I'm hoping to get a couple trackdays in this year. I've been on Nelson's and Beaver in a car in the past, but never on two wheels.

I'm working on a new gig that will be a big step up so I'll have the extra discretionary income to go scare the bejeezus out of myself ....

dude, you live like 10 minutes from me, AND we've both got Hondas... I can have your bike prepped in 30 minutes. 25 of that will be flushing the antifreeze.

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that it was me - I've never owned a Suzuki. If i'm being honest, I was trying to avoid revealing that it was a female rider (so as not to discourage other female riders from coming out).

I couldn't make this up if I tried, but we came in from our sighting laps in the first novice session, and the Novice group captain asked, "ok, who wants to go faster," and everyone except her raised their hand. She spoke up and said, "that was fast enough."

I know she was in the grass multiple times that day, and I watched her go down once. I found out her bike had less than 200 miles on it because she was yelling at her boyfriend about it in the pits later :p

dude, you live like 10 minutes from me, AND we've both got Hondas... I can have your bike prepped in 30 minutes. 25 of that will be flushing the antifreeze.

oh ill be keeping this in mind then whenever I bring myself to it!