buying back from insurance

Hutch

Ok wifes car got hit in a parking lot other car or truck didn't stick around. The insurance is going to total it has anyone ever purchased a car back from insurance and got it titled? Just want to see if its worth my time and money. Buy back price $510 its a 98 civic 154,000 mile on it passenger side quarter and tail light smashed up. Doesn't really look that bad still can drive it. Should I just let the insurance have it or fix it and get salvage title or buy it back and part it out then junk it

Not 100% positive on what you would need to do if you bought the car back. I think you would have the car and a "salvage" title from the insurance company. Then the car would need to be fixed to some level ( might not be enough to just replace tail light) Then an inspection by highway patrol ( info on ohio department of motor vehicles website)to verify that the the parts used in repair were not stolen. If all goes well, your car will now be labeled "rebuilt" and be able to have plates.

Do it. People buy old civics like crazy no matter what condition there in. It's been a few years but I did the same exact thing. Car was worth more than I owed, insurance paid it off, cut me a check (minus the 500 for keeping the car), I fixed a few things and sold it with the salvage title and receipts for the repairs made. Never even had it inspected or turned into a rebuilt salvage title. 92-99 civics are the easiest cars to get rid of other than Toyota camrys.

Car has been paid off for a couple of years and the insurance is cutting us check for around 4k. I was hoping to just beat out the quarter and replace tail light and get bumper mounted back up.

This^ do it. It doesn't have to be pretty just functional. Replace the tail light. Get it inspected, insurance is no problem. I wouldnt put full coverage on that thing anyway.

My cousin has a 95 that has 265k and is still his daily.

Inspection is $50 and they only care about stolen parts. Have reciepts.

One of mine was totaled. The estimates were higher than what I paid for it, so they gave me the amount on the title and let me keep it. No rebuilt title. It was similar to yours, just one quarter panel and a door messed up. I fixed it back up and drove it till the tires wore out. I have no idea why they did it that way. Other than they must have really not wanted the car. It wouldn't hurt to try for a deal that doesn't have a rebuilt title.

I was just worried about the inspection so I can get tags for it. Thinking of buying it back and either fix and get it inspected or just sell it as is

i dunno if I missed it but if you do buy it back and want to sell it, you'll have to still transfer the title to salvage unless you explicitly sell it as a parts car only. I do the insurance for all our vehicles for the company and in the last 2 years we've had 3 trucks totaled and we bought back all of them. 2 we fixed and put on the road and 1 we kept for parts as we have several of the same model. The process isn't that terrible, its just the inspection part and even then its not bad if you have all the documents for the parts that went to fix it

Edited by Bad324

I was just worried about the inspection so I can get tags for it. Thinking of buying it back and either fix and get it inspected or just sell it as is

That's easier than fixing it! Put a tail light in it, have a receipt for any parts you put on it, schedule your inspection, take it in, they look it over for stolen parts, you get a title that says rebuilt salvage, you drive it with a couple thousand dollars in your pocket. If ya want, find someone to put a quarter panel on it for you, could probably get it done pretty cheap, compared to what the insurance estimate says.

been there done that.....

buy it back, replace the tail light, get it inspected.

you can beat out the fender with a hammer if you want to make it look a hair better, but its not necessary

as long as its functional, and legal, you will be fine. the fender just needs to be enough to cover the wheel, so it cant throw debris onto cars behind you, so as long as your tire isnt hanging out past the fender, you will be fine

pay them $50, get inspection, bring receipt for tail light, they will issue you a rebuilt title.

if you wanted full coverage again, its no problem. my mustang had a rebuilt title and i carried full coverage on it the entire time i owned it