Home owner shoots burglar

BiggO

by this logic, if the thief walks into your home, is nice and non-threatening, can take whatever they want, because if you get in their way, you are creating the circumstances necessitating violence....

I am so glad I am in TX....they have extended "the right to protect your home" to include your vehicle....so you are legally allowed to have a firearm in your vehicle to protect yourself WITHOUT having a CCW permit(but the firearm must remain in the vehicle, unless you are on your property).

I think the writer is exaggerating a bit just to have a story. I think the point is to just more be more aware of when it's necessary to fire on someone and when it might be of better judgement to back down and get to somewhere safe.

This one reads pretty much like a non-story unless there is information missing. The only concern the guy might have is he shot and killed the unarmed guy, I can see that getting spun all sorts of ways.

Fearing for my life, means I can shoot you!

Just to clarify, IF a reasonable person would also fear for their life or great bodily harm.

I don't think that article is questioning the shooting...I think they just used it to get the story started on when to shoot and when to walk away.

Nobody is there but you and the criminal. Kill and make him look like he was VERY threatening and was wanting to kill you. If it's just you there, YOU'RE the crime scene creator. Plus why play Russian Roulette with your life. You WANT to wait until it's too late. We don't know what his intentions were, but if he busted in your home I doubt he's there to make you a continental breakfast.

So is their issue that he shot the assailant without a gun, while the armed one ran away? Wouldn't a reasonable person assume that if one guy has a gun, they're not just there to lift your TV, and defend him/herself against both of them?

Furthermore, if you're defending yourself with deadly force, you cannot be the one who instigates the altercation in the first place, or you might not be able to claim self-defense, he said.

Isn't breaking into your house considered instigating? If the jackass had stayed off his property, there's a 99.9999996% chance the homeowner would not have shot him.

Breaking into your house I don't think in its self is consider instigating an altercation that might result in bodily harm. The stance is probably something along the lines of 'let them have the TV and call the cops, it's not worth killing over.'

but lets say you let them go and on the way out they decide you should die cuz you saw them, who is to say that wouldnt have happened? you can never tell what a criminal is gonna do, they could be messed up in the head or have other motives for why they are robbing you which puts them in a different state of mind than you. in your mind you may want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are there just for the TV and not to harm you, but in their mind they may just shoot without reason cuz they are screwed up in the head or on something. i say if you come into my home with a gun you should be willing to take the chance of being shot your self. if your going to play the game, you should be willing to suffer the consequences, end of story.

Breaking into your house I don't think in its self is consider instigating an altercation that might result in bodily harm. The stance is probably something along the lines of 'let them have the TV and call the cops, it's not worth killing over.'

In my opinion, breaking into my house with me home is an offense of violence against me and my family. If you only wanted our stuff, you would wait until we weren't home before breaking in. And, they brought a gun! Like someone posted before, they weren't there to make him a continental breakfast. They brought the gun to kill him if necessary.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, breaking into my house with me home is an offense of violence against me and my family. If you only wanted our stuff, you would wait until we weren't home before breaking in. And, they brought a gun! Like someone posted before, they weren't there to make him a continental breakfast. They brought the gun to kill him if necessary.

That's the way it's seen though. They will possibly see it as a) You aren't your property. and b) They brought the gun in case they ran into an issue, not to use it premeditatedly.

They'll back that up by the fact that the unarmed guy was the one in the position to get shot, not the armed one. Of course the person doing the shooting will have to prove he was armed to begin with and asked why he didn't shoot the guy with the gun instead of the one that was unarmed. Phrasing a statement like 'if you could see well enough that he had a gun, couldn't you see well enough to shoot the one that was armed and "obviously" a threat' that will probably be enough to be a reasonable level of doubt in a juries mind to swing a verdict.

That's the way it's seen though. They will possibly see it as a) You aren't your property. and b) They brought the gun in case they ran into an issue, not to use it premeditatedly.

They'll back that up by the fact that the unarmed guy was the one in the position to get shot, not the armed one. Of course the person doing the shooting will have to prove he was armed to begin with and asked why he didn't shoot the guy with the gun instead of the one that was unarmed. Phrasing a statement like 'if you could see well enough that he had a gun, couldn't you see well enough to shoot the one that was armed and "obviously" a threat' that will probably be enough to be a reasonable level of doubt in a juries mind to swing a verdict.

its so fucked up that lawyers are allowed to represent criminals like this, if the criminal and home owner were to tell there stories from their own mouths, not the lawyers, to the jury, i guarantee the jury says the criminal is guilty but when the lawyer steps in and confuses the jury it will always look like the home owner is at fault :mad:

Oh bullshit... Shoot the a-hole. Then shoot his buddy. Take his gun and fire 3-4-5 shots down the hall or toward the kitchen, where ever you were when you fired. Be sure to spuratically shoot them. No good groupings needed. Oh and be sure you hold the gun like a thug, you know sideways. Then let his hand fall limply and let the gun land where ever. Then call the cops.

All J/K aside. This is straight up BS. The defender is right to the fact that if the guy steals your TV you have no right to do anything about it. But if he has a gun while stealing your TV. Pop his dumbass and repeat the above.

• Upvote 1

The defender is right to the fact that if the guy steals your TV you have no right to do anything about it. But if he has a gun while stealing your TV. Pop his dumbass and repeat the above.

Exactly. And in this case his buddy had a gun...you shoot them all. There is no question this will go down as a legit shoot. And again, I really don't think the article was questioning this particular shooting...it just used it as a way to get the conversation started.

I am so glad I am in TX....

yeah their firearms laws are nice. but how do you feel about being in a state where 60% of people do not disagree that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time :rolleyes:

humansanddinos_040510_png_800x1000_q100.png

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-education/public-education/texans-dinosaurs-humans-walked-the-earth-at-same/

plus, we know only 2 things come from texas private cowboy. :D

• Upvote 1

If someone breaks into an occupied home, the threat is assumed. Coming home to someone stealing your mower from your shed is a different story.

Edited by C-bus
interwebz posts live forever

yeah their firearms laws are nice. but how do you feel about being in a state where 60% of people do not disagree that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time

That's actually 70%. And comparing the two graphs of opposing questions, it appears equally balanced between yea and neigh. Which says basically that the population surveyed has no clue whatsoever and is only guessing the answer. At least a portion was gutsy and honest enough to say "I don't know".

Thats why anyone who breaks into my house will have a gun on them period. I work with a older guy who was all over the paper here in cleveland awhile back for shooting a guy in his house. He had his property broke into like 3 times. the forth time he was met face to face with a large perp with a pry bar in his garage. he was attempting to steal tools again. He confronted the perp and the guy ran at him. He shot and killed the guy. No charges were filed and the family has no right to damages due to the fact he was shot while involved in criminal activities. I say shoot the dirt bag if he breaks in to your house and you are there.

• Upvote 1

Thats why anyone who breaks into my house will have a gun on them period. I work with a older guy who was all over the paper here in cleveland awhile back for shooting a guy in his house. He had his property broke into like 3 times. the forth time he was met face to face with a large perp with a pry bar in his garage. he was attempting to steal tools again. He confronted the perp and the guy ran at him. He shot and killed the guy. No charges were filed and the family has no right to damages due to the fact he was shot while involved in criminal activities. I say shoot the dirt bag if he breaks in to your house and you are there.

It was a clean shoot because the bad guy was armed and charged the victim. It's all in the articulation of the events. Break into my house unarmed and there will be a 911 call saying that there is an unidentified person laying in my front yard that looks like he was beat half to death with a baseball bat. Of course all of my property will be back in my house like it had never been touched before said call is placed. ;)