super moto/dual sport questions

jbot

going to start doing the search for info on berg 570's and keep my eyes open for KTM's. I'm tempted to just go buy the leftover 610 for not much more than what i'm finding in the used market.

i had no idea there was so much variation in the world of DS and sumo bikes. just craziness.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I'd better report in after I made the purchase.

I ended up with a 2008 KTM 690SMC.

It was used as a race bike, riiiiiiiight up until the main bearings decided to grenade and scored up the insides pretty good. After checking out the rebuild info from the seller (an STT instructor and racer) and getting some second and third opinions from people who know better than me about these things... I picked it up.

It came with a bazillion tires (that I can use on a future endeavor in SV650 endurance racing) and a bunch of spare parts (that I can use on future endeavors in crashing the shit out of it while learning how to ride a motard style bike), and is just baller in general.

here she is the day I got her:

5487114288_1e1da8e444.jpg

here she is 5 hours after I got her cause I suck at wrenching and take forever to do anything:

5486528355_b6f0885f5c.jpg

since it had slicks on it, I had to pop the wheels off and order some street tires. It should be good to go in a couple days after the tires get swapped.

yeah, that played a small part in the deciding between a husky and ktm... the closest husky dealer to me is in columbus (2.5 hrs). the ktm dealer (the one you mentioned) is much closer at 45 minutes away.

now i have to figure out how to soften this thing up a bit. apparently, it's set REALLY stiff to accommodate the racing setup, and also to account for the pirelli slicks which apparently have a very soft and flexible carcass. I would never notice things like this, but I'll take his word for it. I'll be putting on a PP2CT front and something in the rear (not sure yet).

i'm just starting to read up on this thing called "backing it in". sounds scary lol

if you like the XR platform, I think you'd be better off selling the 650L and finding a decently built xr650R. I know there is one in the cleveland area, and there was a NICE one in PA but that's sold.

if you are emotionally attached to the 650L then mod her up!

still up in the air about the XR650L. I looked around and the posibilities are endless. However, do I want to drop 2200 (wheels hubs brakes relocation brackets new fuel tank and seat) in converting a bike I want to sell for 3K already?

you can get the wheels,rotors, and relocation bracket for about $750 from warp 9

I am just looking at converting my street legal 650l to supermoto. The warp 9 kit I found looks like it is nice.... However I am coming to the conclusion that I am going to have to use my front hub and lace a wheel to be able to use the speedo on the bike?

NICE! Ya, that must be Pete's bike. What exactly happened to the motor? I heard Hord built it initially... Was it built or stock? That will play a role in getting it fixed.

Need any info or search for parts, give me a shout. What dealer were you 45 minutes from?

NICE! Ya, that must be Pete's bike. What exactly happened to the motor? I heard Hord built it initially... Was it built or stock? That will play a role in getting it fixed.

Need any info or search for parts, give me a shout. What dealer were you 45 minutes from?

I'm not sure what all was done to the motor by Hord before the failure (if anything at all). The motor's main bearings failed, and crapped up the cylinder wall, and some other stuff. Hord rebuilt the motor to stock with OEM parts and apparently did a damn good job cause cause the dyno shows a healthy number and when I test rode it, it ran nice and smooth. Not too concerned about the dyno number, but Pete showed me all the receipts for the parts he bought and the work sheet from Hord showing the work they did.

The other nice thing was, it had all the recall stuff done (gauge cluster, turn signal stuff, etc) already so I dont have to worry about taking it to the dealer.

From what I understand, Ohio Motorcycle in Oakwood near cleveland is the local KTM dealer. I've been there before to check out the ducati stuff, but didn't really pay much attention to the KTM stuff at the time.

I heard VERY good things about Hord, which was partly why I felt a bit better that the motor had a rebuild.

The only thing I need to do to the bike to get it on the road is get some plates (title is coming to me), get a new rear tire (should be here tomorrow), and get a windscreen and some oil for later. apparently, it uses some really special magic oil that costs $15/liter. thankfully, it takes less than 2 liters, but I might try to install a oil cooler on that biatch to ease my fears of it being starved of oil.

yay

I heard VERY good things about Hord, which was partly why I felt a bit better that the motor had a rebuild.

The only thing I need to do to the bike to get it on the road is get some plates (title is coming to me), get a new rear tire (should be here tomorrow), and get a windscreen and some oil for later. apparently, it uses some really special magic oil that costs $15/liter. thankfully, it takes less than 2 liters, but I might try to install a oil cooler on that biatch to ease my fears of it being starved of oil.

yay

Motorex? That's what I would use if it were me, but be careful of using the race oil that is 0W...

yeah, the prices for the motorex cross power 10w 60 (I think that's the weight recommended) go from 15-20/liter depending on who you ask. Since my search started, i've come to realize the sporting singles are princesses when it comes to maintenance, so I'll suck it up and buy the recommended stuff. Also, it sounds like KTM and motorex pretty much developed that oil specifically for the LC4.

I also have to get the bike sag set for me, and soften it up a bit. that's one good reason to take it to a track day. the other part being, screwing around on the track with it. MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you going to take this to the road course or a track like CRP? You know the supermotos in the vids you provided are MX based platforms. That 690 around CRP is going to be like milking a badger...

I'd try it, but she's a bit porkly to do tight stuff...

Now, if you want to get REAL fancy, I can hook you up with Mitch Hansen (HMC). Do a google and you will find out that Mitch is responsible for some of the trickest SUMO bikes on the planet.

lol no, not at a short track. i mean, i'd love to try to milk a badger, but i heard they are feisty.

like my original post said, the goal is to try to get a good compromise between a street friendly (as much as possible anyway) bike with decent maintenance intervals with sporting sumo characteristics. maybe later on, I'll want something more race oriented, but for now, I'm sure I'll be happy with a bike in the low 300lb range with 60 something hp. this bike is probably more than i can handle as is.

the video is just plain baller racing, not some delusion i had about being able to do the things they do in that video. just like if i posted a motogp video, it doesn't mean i would compare my ratty 600rr to yamahahaha m1 gp bike and myself to lorenzo.

Gotta love some of the super mottos. Seen one embarrass street bikes at the VMD. I think he almost lapped the leader of the street bike pack by really hanging it all out in the corners.