Anyone install remote starters?

Casper

Just as the title says, anyone install remote starters? I got one for the truck. I was going to install it myself, but after reading the install manual I think I'm going to let someone who knows what they're doing do it. The truck is a 2003 Ford Ranger, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I have heard horror stories about malfunctions and other things from the DIY remote starters. I've talked to mechanics that recommend buying it and having it installed by a professional that offers a good warrantee/guarantee.

I bought my wife one last year, and ended up taking it back and paying someplace to do it for about $80 over what I paid for just the starter without install. I would check around.

What brand did you get?

I used to do them all the time, but I got tired of the cheap ones that we were using that would quit working, and some were DOA out of the box! I did the one in my own car, but it's a very expensive security system, with remote starter built in. If nobody else chimes in, I'm willing to tackle it, as long as you realize that you'll need a few other things, such as a transponder bypass module, and a spare key for that. You may be looking at $200 more for the stuff you'll need.

I have heard horror stories about malfunctions and other things from the DIY remote starters. I've talked to mechanics that recommend buying it and having it installed by a professional that offers a good warrantee/guarantee.

I bought my wife one last year, and ended up taking it back and paying someplace to do it for about $80 over what I paid for just the starter without install. I would check around.

Long story short, guy here at work bought it for his then fiance. They broke up. He never had it installed. Sold it to me dirty cheap. This is one of the $$$$ deals you'd buy at a car audio shop and have professionally installed.

Even with the cheap ones, the install is the important part. Soldered wire connections for the important wires, or at least high quality crimp connectors that are heat shrinkable. Solid mounting and wire routing is important as well.

If the hardware fails, you can just replace the unit with the same thing.

What brand did you get?

I used to do them all the time, but I got tired of the cheap ones that we were using that would quit working, and some were DOA out of the box! I did the one in my own car, but it's a very expensive security system, with remote starter built in. If nobody else chimes in, I'm willing to tackle it, as long as you realize that you'll need a few other things, such as a transponder bypass module, and a spare key for that. You may be looking at $200 more for the stuff you'll need.

I'd have to double check, but I think it's a Viper or similar.

I like Viper, or most of the stuff that comes from Directed. An older Viper is what I have in my car, and it worked flawlessly, other than a glitch from having the battery disconnected, which ended up just needing another power cycle. It was kind of cool that it happened though, since it got me off my lazy ass to finish connecting the rest, beyond just the basics needed to have it function.

Ive done them but as stated above, I won't do them anymore. I want one on my truck and a lot of places out there won't even touch it because it's a diesel with delay and glow plugs, so more work.... actually I've never had anyone call me back, wtf.

Personally I would get somewhere to do it because if it F's up you can take it back there.

I know a guy that owns a car audio shop on E. Main St. He installed the one on my wifes truck when she had it. He also moved it to the Nissan when we sold the truck. He gave us a great deal on the security system/remote start. He also did the audio install on my Celica when I had it. I'll see if I still have his number.

I did one one, I'll never do it again. It was a pain in the ass. I hooked up an alarm on my wife's truck too and I never want to one of those again either! My shop won't even touch remote starts. We leave them to the professional installers.

Josh you're all gloom and doom lately what with "get this one so you can get to your other clip when you empty the first" and "We don't touch 'em!" You're gonna scare the guy to death!:D

You can put it in, Ben. If you want your wires, go to the12volt.com you can get the list for free then you know exactly which wires to go for and where they are. You only need a few. Soldering is the key.

I had a stupid Crimestopper in a CRX and it worked perfectly for years. Solder.

Josh you're all gloom and doom lately what with "get this one so you can get to your other clip when you empty the first" and "We don't touch 'em!" You're gonna scare the guy to death!:D

To ME, having the magazine on your strong side is a dumb place to put it. And to ME, I'd rather pay a pro to install a remote starter. Just saying, it can end up being a can of worms.

I did one one, I'll never do it again. It was a pain in the ass. I hooked up an alarm on my wife's truck too and I never want to one of those again either! My shop won't even touch remote starts. We leave them to the professional installers.

Dude, you do wiring work all the time! Remote starts are a piece of cake. It's just not cost effective for a repair shop to install them.

• 9 months later...
It was kind of cool that it happened though, since it got me off my lazy ass to finish connecting the rest, beyond just the basics needed to have it function.

I hear ya there, mine is totally hillbilly. Running off voltage drop, and for a minimum of 15 minutes unless I grab the brake switch wire I keep tucked in my ashtray, pull off the electrical tape and stick it in the cigarette lighter. Worked good enough for four years though. :D

I just had mine done today at a place called affliction audio on morse road near easton. Fast friendly service, they were the cheapest i found,they got me right in. a lifetime warranty. my sales guys name was jason. they had lots of different brand and features. I'll definitly go back to them.

I just had mine done today at a place called affliction audio on morse road near easton. Fast friendly service, they were the cheapest i found,they got me right in. a lifetime warranty. my sales guys name was jason. they had lots of different brand and features. I'll definitly go back to them.

What did you go with? Not looking for anything fancy.

Cost after install if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you

I have a remote start on my Accord (used to be the wifes car before she turned my new F150 into a new minivan for her...but thats a whole other thread) and lost the remote. From what she said it quit working on her sp when she lost the remote she didnt care. Is there any way to get remotes for them?? It is a compustar system...like 5 years old or so.

I had a remote start in my '95 Taurus back in 1997. EVERY F*CKING TIME I started the car in the work parking lot 5 mins later I'd hear them announce a "running car" over the PA system. Even when I told the receptionist - and left her a post-it note.

I even put a note on the windshield "The engine in this car may run unattended. Don't worry about it." Nothing. I quit using it.