Advice on riding gear

rslocum

I have first gear ht overpants and a first gear textile jacket. Good stuff the pants are made to fit over jeans and zip all the way up the side. The jacket is nice with a zip out liner. It hold water out for about a hour in heavy rain. I use it to commute my 30 miles each way when its cold out. Hopes this helps.

Gear riding has always been up to the rider... How much of a commute I guess would make the difference? I thought about my ride last year and looked at a new textile jacket at Iron pony. But, passed on 300 bones.

I normally just wear whatever is handy. But I only ride 14 miles to work?

I wear a Fieldsheer adventure suit currently. The pants don't zip all the way up the leg, so they're kind of a pain in the ass with dress clothes. I've been looking at Aerostich and Motoport suits. One of those two are in my future.

Also, do a two piece that zips together. You'll thank me later.

I have the Fieldsheer Mercury pants. Removable inner liner for when it's really cold. Legs zip all the way up to the crotch to make it easier getting in and out. CE armor in the knees and butt. So far I like them, can be worn over just about anything and they are my go to for everything pants.

FirstGear HT II overpants and a TourMaster Transition II jacket are what I use for commuting and 3 season riding; they're too hot for summer use. FirstGear Mesh Tek jacket and pants for when it's hot (but not to commute).

Good gear is an investment in you comfort and protection. It will also extend your "riding season". And don't think that because you only ride 15miles to work that you don't need it. After all, how many accidents do you see in that 15miles? And most accidents happen within 5 miles of home.

I don't want to come off as a gear Nazi, but I've bounced my butt off the pavement (both with and without gear) more than I want to admit, and not once was it planned! I'd rather have the gear on than off should that happen again!!

There's LOTS of gear available and the price is coming down while quality is going up! And there's always used gear being sold too; this gives you an opportunity to try things without too much expense.

And heated gear is the cat's meow!

• Upvote 1

After seeing a few riders yesterday I need to start looking for a one piece overpant riding gear with decent protection for commuting. Don't want to ranger up everyday for small commute. Any advice or experience appreciated.

I have some Scorpion Deuce overpants. They fit over jeans/dress pants w/o issue and have full length zippers from cuff to waist to get on and off easily. There is also a rain liner that is included (works well)....w/o the liner, they are not hot at all even in summer...with it in, those chilly nights aren't so bad.

I got mine for about $185 or so, but I know they are cheaper now.

Except ninjanick doesn't wear jeans under his pants, or so I've heard.

I have an Xelemet textile jacket. Waterproof except at the zippers it seems to leak. The sleeves zip off also

64177_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

And Xelemet pants, although I got them for Christmas so haven't worn them yet. They look something like this:

51713_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

leatherup.com has really good prices on them.

I also have a mesh jacket I wear when it's really hot out. Don't know the brand but it's like riding in a t-shirt with the wind passing through.