ive become addicted...my next gun..thoughts?

Steve Butters

wont be getting one for a little while longer (once school is out this quarter) but i want to pick up one of these....thoughts?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BSEV

i know you can get the same model for $200 cheaper without all the flash and have the same mechanics, but i like this one.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Savage 22LR bolt action rifle. Very happy with it. It is the rifle I always have with me for all my range trips.

I like the Savage better then the Marlin 795 semi-auto 22LR.

Here is my thread less then a year ago:

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=54364

refer to post 28, 33 for pics, and very wise post # 40

i would consider a .223 rifle also, but i like the look of the 17hmr i posted... not buying anything yet, getting opinions first here!

im not sure ide need all the takedown of the .223, i have heard that .17hmr would be good for small game and could take down a coyote .... the .223 rifles are nice and i can get one for about the same price, but the unique look of this savage is what draws me to it... i think it would be a neat gun to own and fun to shoot

Edited by Steve Butters

Varmint? 22-250 lol... whack...

The rifle you're looking at has potential to be extremely accurate.

Don't forget that rounds smaller than 30cal don't handle cross winds very well.

But I have no experience with the 17HMR.

Honestly I like a tight 22LR for most little varmints, it's more of a challenge.

edit: note that you will have to have a scope, there are no sights on that one, only mounts.

Favorite varmint scope: Tasco VAR624X42M 6-24x42

It's negative is the mil-dot, which is for mil-spec ammo and war targets, not game.

ok, same thing with plain dot Tasco 6-24x44

Edited by ReconRat

Why 17HMR?

I've never shot one, but whats the max lethal range on, say a squirrel? 100 yards? 150?

I'd have to guess that it's a LOT more than that. 17HMR has roughly double the muzzle velocity of a .22LR, and a .22 is good for 100 yards.

wont be getting one for a little while longer (once school is out this quarter) but i want to pick up one of these....thoughts?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BSEV

i know you can get the same model for $200 cheaper without all the flash and have the same mechanics, but i like this one.

My buddy has that exact same rifle, got it from Cabelas witht he BSA sweet 17 scope cheaper than 400? Dont know exactly what he gave for it. But it was a deal.

Tbutera i actually bought the 17HMR this weekend at Gander Mountain in Pickerington!! Drove around this weekend finding 30mm scope rings becasue Gander does not sell them so have not shot but i am tonight... I will let you know how it performs.

Tbutera i actually bought the 17HMR this weekend at Gander Mountain in Pickerington!! Drove around this weekend finding 30mm scope rings becasue Gander does not sell them so have not shot but i am tonight... I will let you know how it performs.

awesome! probably the one i saw - i was at gander sunday morning and saw it ...let me know how ya like it.