ive become addicted...my next gun..thoughts?

Steve Butters

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Varmint? 22-250 lol... whack...

The rifle you're looking at has potential to be extremely accurate.

Don't forget that rounds smaller than 30cal don't handle cross winds very well.

But I have no experience with the 17HMR.

Honestly I like a tight 22LR for most little varmints, it's more of a challenge.

edit: note that you will have to have a scope, there are no sights on that one, only mounts.

Favorite varmint scope: Tasco VAR624X42M 6-24x42

It's negative is the mil-dot, which is for mil-spec ammo and war targets, not game.

ok, same thing with plain dot Tasco 6-24x44

2 Things.

1) The statement about rounds smaller than 30 cal not doing well in the wind is not accurate. Without a long, in depth discussion of ballistics, just leave it that bullet selection/velocity are important in any cartridge. As an example, 260's typically beat 308s on wind even at extended distances.

2) Mil-dots aren't for mil-spec ammo and war targets. Historically, they were used for ranging targets. Scopes with Mil dots, mil hash marks, moa hash marks, etc... can be quite useful for hunting, if you know the ballistics of your cartridge. The scope on my 308 has mil and half mil hash marks. Using those, I can use those for exact hold over values out past 500 yards without have to adjust my elevation, pretty handy for hunting if you ask me. Nevermind the fact that many "hunting" scopes have reticles with features used for range estimation.

If anything, the downside to Mildots is it is sometimes harder for folks to pick up math wise vs MOA/minutes, and outside of newer tactical scopes, the reticle was often in mils/mildots and the scope adjustments were in minutes, causing conversion headaches.

2 Things.

1) The statement about rounds smaller than 30 cal not doing well in the wind is not accurate. Without a long, in depth discussion of ballistics, just leave it that bullet selection/velocity are important in any cartridge. As an example, 260's typically beat 308s on wind even at extended distances.

2) Mil-dots aren't for mil-spec ammo and war targets. Historically, they were used for ranging targets. Scopes with Mil dots, mil hash marks, moa hash marks, etc... can be quite useful for hunting, if you know the ballistics of your cartridge. The scope on my 308 has mil and half mil hash marks. Using those, I can use those for exact hold over values out past 500 yards without have to adjust my elevation, pretty handy for hunting if you ask me. Nevermind the fact that many "hunting" scopes have reticles with features used for range estimation.

If anything, the downside to Mildots is it is sometimes harder for folks to pick up math wise vs MOA/minutes, and outside of newer tactical scopes, the reticle was often in mils/mildots and the scope adjustments were in minutes, causing conversion headaches.

I hate to agree with this d-bag but ... hes on par for once.. As far as tasco goes, Spend a few more bucks and get a Vortex and a much much better scope. Just my opinion.

Did I mention Walther is a d-bag.

I recommend this scope

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-crossfire-6-24x50-ao-riflescope-mil-dot-illuminated-reticle

Way over kill for a 22 or 17 but just right for a 223 and up ;)

Thats not overkill for a 22. Thats a good all around plinking scope.

I know guys that are running NF, USO, S&B and Premier's on their 22.s. These scopes range in price from $1700-$3000

awesome! probably the one i saw - i was at gander sunday morning and saw it ...let me know how ya like it.

Awesome gun!! shot yesterday in the cold and probably 20mph winds and at 100yrds was litterally touching holes dead center of target... Very fun gun but am interested to see what kind of damage this will do for the holes in my plywood target were very small.

BUMP - buying one on sunday but im not sure which...it comes in .17hmr, .22wmr, and .22lr

i know the lr is dirt cheap - but i want something with more take down...im reading that the .17hmr doesnt have much take down power because it just blows right through stuff, but that the .22wmr is a slow round for the price, etc

right now - im leaning towards .22wmr

the biggest thing that would ever get shot with it is a fox or a coyote ....but probably be used more for rabbits, squirrel, etc

i think .223 would be overkill - and this specific model isnt offered in .223 and im 99% set on this model rifle

but the extra velocity of the 17hmr would be nice since the idea for varmint would be head shots anyways to not ruin the meat

my girl has coyote problems bad out at her place....i want a round that will take care of them, but not fuck up varmint hunting....im torn between the .17 for the velocity and the .22wmr for the knockdown power.... i really dont want .22lr though - i dont shoot enough for the ammo prices to bother me that much

Edited by Steve Butters

For a .22 for what your using it for, it will probably be fine as long as your not expecting much from the scope.

cool...i just want something to plink around and shoot some small animals with...dont need to hit a penny from 200 yards or anything

you seem to know a lot about this stuff....any advice on .22wmr or .17hmr for what ive described my uses? mainly plinking with a little coyote hunting

would the .17 take down a coyote? and i was reading that .22wmr is good to like 150yds and .17hmr is good for 200...and that .22lr was 100 yards

so i assumed the .22wmr wouldnt have a problem at less than 150yards - but i havent shot one

Smoked a hole right through one at a 160yds. Dropped on the spot stiff!

.17 is a nasty little burger small projectile with lots of velocity equals fun!

22WMR sold last night along with my M&P15T.

Yes I like the .17 better.

If Hornady would push the limits of the Vmax WMR round they would be very close and the WMR would win me over for having a heavier bullet. But for the screaming little .17 it does a much better job, for the time being.

My dad has a 17 Remington Fireball. But it is a different animal.

Pretty sure it would not have any problems with a coyote... the target i was shooting at was on a 8" round fence post used to mark off a pasture and the 17 round blew through the post with ease.

The .17hmr is a fine small varmint cartridge, assuming you are under 200y, it should take down a coyote.

Also, SWFA has a special version of the scope Kawi and flounder mentioned with a 1" tube vs the 30mm (basically means less overall elevation adjustment) for $99. It's a special run that Vortex does for them. If you needed more elevation to hit the max range of the 17hmr (not likely, but possible), you can get 20moa angled bases for a lot of the popular rimfires these days.

Also, I have in my possession, a 30mm vortex crossfire that I'll let go to the highest bidder. A certain mod may or may not try to hunt you down to get it back though.

I already warned him that it would be painted pink when he got it.