First gun to own

Jeepman3ski

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, guns are like bikes. Everyone has the ones they like and the ones they hate. It's hard to say what a good gun is for a new guy. I love my M&P and dislike Glock. Others will tell you just the opposite. It would be easier for you to check out some gun reviews online, go handle and shoot some then come back with I like A,B, and C. What do you all think?

In all seriousness, guns are like bikes. Everyone has the ones they like and the ones they hate. It's hard to say what a good gun is for a new guy. I love my M&P and dislike Glock. Others will tell you just the opposite. It would be easier for you to check out some gun reviews online, go handle and shoot some then come back with I like A,B, and C. What do you all think?

There's a reason to get a shoot together. I need to put some rounds through the tube of my XD, too.

I haven't given up on the idea of getting us one, but other things have come

up which has the gun thing on the back burner for now.

When I get around to it, I still want to get a revolver, prob a 357.

Definitely check out the manufacturers websites for their specs and features, go put some of them in your hands, get a feel for them, if possible, go to a range and rent some that you're interested in, and some that you're not. Then go back to google, see what others are saying about the ones that you're interested in now. Then come back here and ask again. It's a vicious cycle until you actually make the purchase. You cannot research it too much.

Beware the man with one gun, for he will surely know how to use it.... or something like that. Buy one. Learn how to hold it. Learn how to aim it. Learn how to squeeze the trigger. Practice and enjoy your new passion.

+1

Go borrow and rent a bunch and shoot them enough to get a feel for them. Then start thinking about what kind and which you want.

This is the correct answer. You can go to many ranges and rent guns. For example near me Stonewall rents the first gun for like 10 bucks, then every gun after that is 2 dollars. They have a pretty extensive selection. I have not been there but I have heard Fin Feather and Fur has a huge selection of rentals. BTW, you have not told us what you want the gun for. Just range plinking...carry...competitive shooting...Zombie Apocalypse? The purpose makes a difference on the answer too.

I rented 2 guns from Stonewall. I was not happy with the experience / operation of that exact rental Sprinfield XD. I suspect the gun was dirty ( not cleaned in a while ) and most likely had high round count. But at least you can get an idea if the gun will fit your hands.

This is the correct answer. You can go to many ranges and rent guns. For example near me Stonewall rents the first gun for like 10 bucks, then every gun after that is 2 dollars. They have a pretty extensive selection. I have not been there but I have heard Fin Feather and Fur has a huge selection of rentals. BTW, you have not told us what you want the gun for. Just range plinking...carry...competitive shooting...Zombie Apocalypse? The purpose makes a difference on the answer too.

This too! If you want a carry gun a 50 cal desert eagle probably wouldn't be a good idea. On the flip side elephant hunting wouldn't go well with a .22.

Home defense, daily concealed (or open) carry, target plinking, varmit hunting, competitive target shooting, or just because you can, are all going to have different needs. There's quite a few people here willing to help, we just need a little more information.