Deals Gap (Tennessee/North Carolina

jerben

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fontana is very nice and also has some damn good pulled pork sandwiches and is very close to the dragon. And Ill have to say the Dragon is an overrated tourist trap so make sure you explore all the other good roads in that area that have less cops, higher speed limits, and reduced traffic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This will be our 2nd trip this year. www.ridgetopmotel.com is where we have stayed. It is an older motel and the owners are awesome. The motel is located in Bryson City. We are going May 19-22. There is a small diner in Bryson City (cant remember the name). There's an Italian Rest. also in town that is good.

A buddy from back home and I are trying to get it together to go this same weekend.

you gotta watch is the harleys with the low pipes they like to drag and causes alot of riders to go down

Cruisers should be banned from this road. Why anyone would want to take an ill handling barge through there is beyond me. If they would just use the pull offs to let traffic pass it would be a whole lot better.

Cruisers should be banned from this road. Why anyone would want to take an ill handling barge through there is beyond me. If they would just use the pull offs to let traffic pass it would be a whole lot better.

there are some riders that do. mainly the harley guys that dont.

James, at one time the fastest time through the Dragon was held by a Goldwing. I don't know if that is still the case. Don't kid yourself some riders on Cruisers can can handle the Dragon. Last September during our Triumph Dragon raid it seamed to me that more autos and slow moving bikers moved over or pulled off. On the other hand some of the riders in our group complained about the slow barges not moving over. The main issuse I have is the barges crossing over the yellow line into my lane.

Our Triumph Dragon Raid this year is 9/12/11-9/17/11. I put a post in the Event Forum and you can go to Britrider.com for more info. All type bikes are welcome to join the Raid.

there are some riders that do. mainly the harley guys that dont.

True - I was making a sweeping generalization which doesn't apply to all of course.

Followed this guy on a Jap crusier last Fall. He was a smooth but the bike just wasn't very fast. He did offer a "pass me" wave but I was having fun watching him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYMskRcH3E

I don't think the bike could have gone much faster without some serious grounding out issues. But he was aware of those following him and made an effort to get outta the way.

Really sucks when about 12 of the HD guys are in a line, with their newbie riding wives in the middle of the group, and they amble through at 12 mph. Won't pull over or yield at all and get all pissy when you pass them - even when done safely.

Nope. Not ever. No way.

His picture was posted at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort in the area where you buy shirts and other souvenirs. As stated I don't know if he still has it but according to the notation on the photo he did have it at one time.

Bud

Yah way. I read about it on a couple sites. He was dragging hard parts on every curve. Believe there are some youtube videos of him. His was yellow, I think.

No - that's YellowWolf you're thinking of - I've passed him many times when he was honking through the Gap.

There is no way a Gold Wing can go faster than a sportbike - given the same talent of the rider- on that road. It just isn't going to happen. Trust me.

As stated I don't know if he still has it but according to the notation on the photo he did have it at one time.

He must have been stating it was a Gold Wing record, not an overall bike record. Not even he would claim that.

YellowWolf is prone to exaggeration and is quite a fan of himself.

The gap is a blast but I don't think cruisers should be banned even though they generally are the rudest riders there. I have had issues with sport bike guys there as well in fact the two biggest dick heads I've come across have been sport bike guys but they are mostly the exception. The long lines of cruisers are usually the worst but if they are acting like assholes I can accommodate them in like behavior.

Everyone there enjoys the road at their own pace and unless there are time trials everyone should be able to enjoy the road. Be careful about wishing to exclude others by skill level because you might not fit into the right group. Being courteous to others should be a simple respect that allows everyone to coexist.

There is no way a Goldwing would hold the record through there, not even close, not going to happen. A well ridden Goldwing could beat many sport bikes through there no doubt but that Goldwing rider going through there on a sport bike will beat his time on the Goldwing. That just makes too much sense to believe otherwise. Skill level can make up for lack of machinery I have passed cruisers going downhill there on a 150 scooter but by the time they catch me going uphill I am slowing them down. I look to see if they want to go around me but they are usually laughing so hard at me that they just want to watch, everyone has a good time.

There is no way a Goldwing would hold the record through there, not even close, not going to happen.

I am pretty sure that the record the goldwing holds is the most number of laps in a 24 hour period. The speed record for a complete round trip lap is an average speed of about 62 miles per hour and was set way back in the early 90's before there were a ton of LEO's over there.