car stereo and USB question

Hoblick

so i picked up a 500gb portable HD to store music and other misc shit on..

its seagate goflex pro

i through some albums on it, plugged it in to the usb on the sonata, and no go, kept saying no media.. i looked a little into it and found out it wouldnt read ntsf format

before i formatted though, i tried it on my clarion cz209 head unit for the bike.. no go there either, got a error 7..

so i reformatted the drive to exfat (thats the only other option besides ntsf it gives)

works flawlessly in the car.. but no dice on the clarion

anyone got any advice?

i really need this thing to work on both units..

can i make it work? or am i gonna have to get a new unit to replace the clarion, or just get a usb flash drive.

Most aftermarket will only read upto a certain size hd, if they will read a hd at all. Most don't have the power to run the hd right to read it. USB for aftermarket is usually for flash drives.

Look up the head unit and check the specs out to know what it will pick up, if any hard drive at all.

Hope it helps.

I have a nice JVC head I had in the wifes truck (recently removed). I have had no issues with it. Runs the Ipods. Runs video off the ipods and Iphone with no issues. Even runs the no name brand MP3 player of the nieces? I did not realize there actually was a format system?

exFAT probably doesn't work in the Clarion because it's an older unit. FAT32 should work with both, but Win7 can't do it natively.

Pull this down to format in FAT32. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/FAT32format.shtml

Pretty much this. You can think of exFAT kind of as FAT64.

You can format FAT32 from the command line in Windows 7 also. You just need to know the drive letter, run CMD from the run/search bar and type:

'format /FS:FAT32 X:'

"X:" being the drive letter of the drive you want to format. You should be prompted yes/no if you really want to format it.