Ten Things New Riders Do Completely Wrong

ReconRat

I am getting a CBR600RR for my first bike. I will just pay attention and I can stay off of the throttle...

Really, you cant because you are that stupid for even saying that.... Oh it's irratating...

but....but....my first bike was a 600RR :D

Like learning how to unload a bike from the bed of a pickup all alone and without a ramp?

thats easy. just make sure you put it in so the front tire is facing the rear of the truck. then just jump it out of the back of the truck :lol:

The problem with the list is that there are 5 things that are all the same - Rides beyond their ability. #2,3,7 and 8 are all the same thing. Arguably, #1 falls into that also...

It all boils down to ability. I always use a cup of water as an example. The water is reserve. The less reserve you have, the more likely a crash. Through rider experience, you obviously build ability, but also that reserve. One guy riding at 60% can easily be another guy's 95%. 40% vs 5% reserve is a big deal when shit hits the fan.

Thus, when all you guys get on my ass about track day riding - it helps build up that reserve to make things slow down and come at you with less velocity. It also enhances your ability to react quickly and calmly to avoid issue...

#2 is the #1 and it covers 90% of that list.

lol...Mine was a 98 900RR. I told everyone I was just going to take it easy till I got used to it... I ended up backing down to a 600RR after a season on the 900RR. I shouldve been on a 250.

starting on too large of a bike is common because for every 1 person who crashes horribly due to a rookie mistake on a high-powered bike, there are 9 people who say, "I was fine; you can do it too."

Obviously it CAN be done, you're just tempting fate a lot more. Learning to ride on a liter bike isn't a death-sentence; it's just unnecessarily increasing the odds of a crash.

Furthermore, who do new riders usually talk to regarding bike advice? I'd wager that more often than not, it's other riders - not people who USED TO ride. The probability of talking to someone who crashed their GSX-R 1000 the first week and then quit riding is pretty slim compared to talking to the much larger segment of the population who again says, "I learned on a liter bike, and I was fine."

Over and above all is over confidence. which comes with the territory. Most riders are over confident. All of them, newbs and experienced both.

This is not so much reading the road, it's reading your Self.