Wanted: Work done on a '98 Yamaha YZ250

idodishez

Not sure if this is the right forum. Mods feel free to move as needed.

I have a '98 YZ250. Bought it running last summer, but was always hard to start. Occasionally wouldn't start at all. Did a carb rebuild, plug, etc last summer. Thought I had it fixed. Then it went back to no start at all, and I never could get it running after that. If I remember correctly, it had decent compression, but wouldn't swear to it. Took it to Vista, because I was tired of messing with it and don't have any 2 stroke experience. They say it needs a lower end rebuild due to low(er?) compression. Said there is bearing slop, and recommend a rebuilt crank, crank bearings, piston, and rod. Im still not quite sure I get the diagnosis, and crank bearings causing a no start condition. He explained that the inconsistency in the compression would cause a no start. I know you need compression to run, but given it had compression, (maybe low, not positive) and would run sometimes and not others, I don't quite get it. None the less, he swears that's what it needs.

So, while I could do this myself, I dont have the time and i just want it ready to go for riding season. Anyone do repairs like this? I cant afford to pay full shop rates (Vista, Middletown Cycle, etc) so Im looking for either a small independent shop or an individual who does this on the side.

Any takers?

Did that too when I rebuilt the carb. Seafoam? What is that? And would it still be needed w a carb rebuild having been done?

This was all last summer/fall by the way. So no bad gas from this winter. Haven't even messed w it yet this year

Any dirt particles in the bottom of the bowl in the carb? If it's getting spark and gas, it should fire. Can you smell gas when you are trying to get it started?

My 07 YZ250 just sat for 14 months and started on the first kick. I know it's newer, but 2 strokes are not too difficult typically.

I've heard some nasty sounding bottom ends, but never seen one that wouldn't start because of it. Not saying it couldn't be, but i don't have experience with that I guess.