What is this Legal QA forum?

Casper

This forum, Legal QA, is for you to ask any legal questions you might have. With the collective brain power between lawyers, police officers, etc on this board, I believe this could end up being a huge perk for Ohio Riders members. Anyone is welcome to ask a question, and anyone is welcome to offer advice. It doesn't have to be motorcycle related, though I'm sure the majority will be.

ya, you need a thingy sorta like this.

Disclaimer: Any responses do not form an attorney-client relationship. This answer may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Can I get some help acquiring a special speeding license? I am tired of wasting time in courts and wish to pay all my fines up front along with a get out of jail license.

there is a state that is actually doing this, you can pay a fee of like $200 or something and can drive as fast as you want for that day, granted it is a state where its mostly desert, i cant remember which state or how much exactly it was right now though and google is failing me but i know i read this somewhere.

edit: found it, its actually $25 a day and is not yet enacted but this would be pretty legit if it works.

http://autos.aol.com/article/pay-to-speed-nevada/

Edited by JStump

Disclaimer: Any responses do not form an attorney-client relationship. This answer may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

This! BIG RED LETTERS at the top of the forum. And if it's possible for you to auto insert that into each thread would be a good idea too. I'd hate for this good intentioned idea come and bite someone in the ass, especially Ben and Carie.

At the bottom of every page: "The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the poster and not of Ohio Riders, LLC."

But I'll add something else just incase.

At the bottom of every page: "The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the poster and not of Ohio Riders, LLC."

But I'll add something else just incase.

I'm sure Castelli can whip something up quick to indemnify you ;)

there is a state that is actually doing this, you can pay a fee of like $200 or something and can drive as fast as you want for that day, granted it is a state where its mostly desert, i cant remember which state or how much exactly it was right now though and google is failing me but i know i read this somewhere.

edit: found it, its actually $25 a day and is not yet enacted but this would be pretty legit if it works.

http://autos.aol.com/article/pay-to-speed-nevada/

I'd pay now and then to play. Good idea and it would raise a shit load of money I'm sure.

I would hope that users that post here would not talk to specific about an ongoing issue / case. I can see maybe asking about what regulation or Ohio revised code would cover a topic.

Just end every post with, IANALBSAAHIELN - ( I am not a laywer but stayed at a holiday inn express last night)

Ok, question that was not answered even from my driving school class:

Does the posted speed limit begin when you can read the sign, or when you actually pass the sign?

Example, Nothfield road, ( aslo know as route 8) in Northfield Center speed limit is 25 MPH. at the end of the city (towards Macedonia), it is less congested and you can see the speed limit sign posted as 50 MPH. So, do I hammer the gas pedal when i can see the 50 MPH sign, or do I have to wait unit I pass the sign?

I think you tread on thin ice when the GP can chime in and possibly make comments that are not correct regarding the law. The internet as we all know and is proven many times even on this site - people take what is stated as gospel as they do not know any better...

I think if one of the law firms or whomever are sponsors had a section like this where THEY respond and give advice, it is a different story.

Otherwise, it is simply an additional section where anyone can ask about their speeding ticket and get as many clueless responses as if they had asked what the best oil is...

I don't know why there is ever a debate about the best oil, one word, Yamalube, discussion over because there is nothing better.

See, this won't get off track or have erroneous information, I don't see a problem. Hang around a while you’ll see the internet is serious business, what could go wrong?

I smell liability issues in here...

for whom? Casper/Ohio Riders? they're not presenting themselves as attorneys, so I think they're probably in the clear. If you want legit "legal advice," contact an actual attorney, who is bound by professional conduct rules (including competency) and can be sued for malpratice.

As far as those giving advice, I don't think a simple forum post could possibly be construed as "practicing law," so the individuals posting their opinions are just offering advice (good or bad). That shouldn't be any different than someone recommending running 50psi in a trackday tire. Bad advice isn't illegal, just stupid.

if we have any actual attorneys, (and I am NOT an attorney yet) they shouldn't be giving away free "legal advice" anyway. It's a violation of the rules of ethics. Devalues the profession :p Besides, it's on them (the attorney) to know if they're exposing themselves to liability, and the attorney of all people should know. Call it a professional hazard.

I would hope that users that post here would not talk to specific about an ongoing issue / case.

This is a good point as it pertains to confidentiality and attorney/client privilege.

If Casper starts blabbing to us about some legal problem he's having, and his opposition's attorney finds out, any of us could be subpoenaed to testify. The thread might also be used as evidence (although I would be shocked if it wasn't thrown out as hearsay).

If Casper's OWN attorney were to find out that he's talking about a given topic online, he would be obligated to disclose (if the case makes it to discovery) that the members of this forum are persons with knowledge of this case, and thus lead the opposing attorney directly to us. A client waives attorney/client privilege if they're actively telling others about (previously) privileged information.

"legal Q&A" is a safe name for the forum as far as I can tell - but I'm not an attorney, so consult one before believing me :D

Edited by redkow97

I'm sure Castelli can whip something up quick to indemnify you ;)
And he did. It's up top.

"Any responses given on this forum are for general informational purposes only and are not for the purposes of providing legal advice. They are the views of the person giving the information and not Ohio Riders. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Do not send us confidential information."

for whom? Casper/Ohio Riders? they're not presenting themselves as attorneys, so I think they're probably in the clear. If you want legit "legal advice," contact an actual attorney, who is bound by professional conduct rules (including competency) and can be sued for malpratice.

As far as those giving advice, I don't think a simple forum post could possibly be construed as "practicing law," so the individuals posting their opinions are just offering advice (good or bad). That shouldn't be any different than someone recommending running 50psi in a trackday tire. Bad advice isn't illegal, just stupid.

if we have any actual attorneys, (and I am NOT an attorney yet) they shouldn't be giving away free "legal advice" anyway. It's a violation of the rules of ethics. Devalues the profession :p Besides, it's on them (the attorney) to know if they're exposing themselves to liability, and the attorney of all people should know. Call it a professional hazard.

This is a good point as it pertains to confidentiality and attorney/client privilege.

If Casper starts blabbing to us about some legal problem he's having, and his opposition's attorney finds out, any of us could be subpoenaed to testify. The thread might also be used as evidence (although I would be shocked if it wasn't thrown out as hearsay).

If Casper's OWN attorney were to find out that he's talking about a given topic online, he would be obligated to disclose (if the case makes it to discovery) that the members of this forum are persons with knowledge of this case, and thus lead the opposing attorney directly to us. A client waives attorney/client privilege if they're actively telling others about (previously) privileged information.

"legal Q&A" is a safe name for the forum as far as I can tell - but I'm not an attorney, so consult one before believing me :D

Dude, you write novels. The bold part I wanted to reply to. It can and has been done actually. Not on Ohio Riders, but on Columbus Racing. We actually had to explain to the judge how internet forums work, what IPs are, screennames, etc. It was interesting.

...The thread might also be used as evidence (although I would be shocked if it wasn't thrown out as hearsay)...

Server crash, server crash coming. (Caddyshack reference for those slow on the uptake).

• 1 year later...

Do you know how to react at motorcycle checkpoints. If you don't keep your mouth shut and tell them you want a lawyer . Show your license and registration and do not give permission to search. Ypicture.php?albumid=1218&pictureid=13434&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=1218&pictureid=13434&thumb=1 our rights are being eroded and many of you don't even know it or could care less. you might want to download the Ohio motorcycle bible and read chapter 5.

One thing about this Ohio riders forum. it 's just like life you meet some very smart caring people and you find the meme me whiners . The latter usually don't last.