Street riding pants

TSB67

I'm one of the ~50% of people who responded to the gear poll that wears jeans on the street. This does bother me a bit, I just try not to think about it.

I was curious what options are out there that fall between jeans and the leather I wear on the track.

Has anybody crash-tested any of the "reinforced" jeans? Any opinions by inspection that some models offer more protection than others? Any more or less comfortable than others?

Any other options comfortable and low-key enough to wear when the destination is more important than the ride?

How about some type of commuting over pant?

I've never shopped for anything like this so all opinions are welcome. Just wondering if there is anything out there that offers enough of an increase in protection to be worth (to me) any tradeoffs in comfort and convenience.

I do select the jeans I wear riding with durability in mind, so if something isn't going to offer much more protection than heavy weight denim I probably won't consider it.

Didn't want to have to parse the scooter thread for responses. :p

crash tested the icon riding jeans in 2009 had a decent highside around 30-40mph they had NO stitching pullout or shreding the denim had a fair bit of rash look but no tearing.. and i got out of it with only leg and ass bruises(insert gay comment here) and zero road rash

i have a pair of Icon jeans and I absolutely love them. I have not crash tested them yet so the jury is out on that but I can say that are absolutely as comfortable as regular jeans. Other than a couple extra seems around the knee area they look like regular jeans too if you are trying to blend in. They are definitely thicker than pretty much all other regular jeans I've worn in the past, not to mention pretty much cost me the same as my jeans I wear on a daily basis when I got them on sale

I have the $80 Shift jeans. I haven't crashed them, but was told by the salesman at iron pony that a pair of Carhart jeans offer the same protection.

Edited by C-bus

I can't quite believe that Carharts would hold up to asphalt. I have a friend who has a pair of the Kevlar Slider jeans that you can only get at Competition Accesories. She went down at about 50mph belly first and the jeans didnt rip or tear at all. Only mark was a bruise from the impact. No rash.

I've got a pair of Fieldshear pants that I wear most of the time. Over jeans when it cool, and over shorts when it's hot out. There are tons of different ones all pretty much made the same. They have vents also.

I can't quite believe that Carharts would hold up to asphalt. I have a friend who has a pair of the Kevlar Slider jeans that you can only get at Competition Accesories. She went down at about 50mph belly first and the jeans didnt rip or tear at all. Only mark was a bruise from the impact. No rash.

That or he was trying to tell me that the Shifts were crap. Regardless, I didn't believe him either and bought the riding jeans.

Don't want to highjack this thread, but I've got a bunch of MX gear that I don't use since I sold my dirt bike a few years back. I occasionally use the back protector and kidney belt for long, backroad dashes, but wonder if the nylon/kevlar mesh pants would offer any more protection than regular jeans (my usual garb). I suppose the MX style pants would look just as ghey as full leather when walking around the mall and I know full well that dirt ain't asphalt, but at least it would put the pants to some good use.

Inquiring minds want to know....

online or in springfield? I was in the CA store yesterday and I couldn't find any riding jeans.

those who have them, do they size similar to Levi's or any other company?

online or in springfield? I was in the CA store yesterday and I couldn't find any riding jeans.

those who have them, do they size similar to Levi's or any other company?

i wear primarily American Eagle jeans and my Icon jeans may run at half size smaller at most

I've got some A* jeans with Kevlar and removable knee pads. I got them for a steal on closeout at my "local" MC shop. I wouldn't have paid the $129 retail for them, but for $40 they were a no brainer. I do wear them on most rides. I just got the new Icon Stryker Shorts with the d3o padding in them, so I think to combo of both of those should offer some good protection. Just hope I never need to test the jeans out.

I refuse to ride in jeans, firstly because I've seen how they fare in a real slide and secondly because there are good options for not much more than a good pair that are vastly better for a bike.

The Firehose pants from Duluth trading company are much better for abrasian, same with the cordura-double-front pants from Carhartts.

I usually ride with a pair of Draggin Jeans when I really need to compromise, but for any serious riding I have overpants or mesh pants and for comfort they kick any jeans' ass but aren't always the prettiest thing to wear or the most convenient.

A few thoughts on the thread, FWIW:

As someone who has had knee surgery, my problem with the reinforced jeans is that most of them have no armor. On the street, we are more likely to hit something than slide a long way, due to lower speeds and many obstacles. One compromise for me, if I want to wear jeans on a short ride, is to wear separate removeable shin/knee pads under jeans. I fully recognize I could have the "wrong" kind of crash and slide a lot and wish I had the kevlar jeans instead. I wear real riding pants on longer/faster rides.

I'm don't see why people would buy Carharts or similar stuff instead of dedicated motorcycle gear. By shopping closeouts, you can get purpose-built gear that will probably work better and won't make you look like a pig farmer, and for the same price or less. (No offense to all you pig farmers out there.)

Personally, I would not wear MX pants on the street, either for protection or looks.

I'm with this guy^.

I rock the heavy canvas Icon riding pant. These things are HEAVY DUTY. Another note on tbe Icon pant. I see slot of guys have them. The problem is they have been worn, washed and beat up more than Pam Anderson tweeter.

They will not provide the protection they did when you bought them 3 years ago. Inspect and Replace your Gear.

Any Military guy will tell you all about inspections and why they do it. To save your ass.

Other options.

I really like what AGV is putting out. Not just riding jeans but their textile and leather line looks good to me.

Riding jeans seem popular so here you go.

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=101&idproduct=4507

All AGVSport gear.

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=101&idproduct=4507

Please note I am not a sales rep. :D

I also from time to time wear a Kevlar reinforced waterproof BDU as an overpant (over jeans). They come with pockets for knee armor as Motorcyclista and LoTGoD referenced. Great in cooler weather too. But not a purpose built pant but it's a layer of protection or two above imported jeans for around $50. Look for the Brand named Propper, not the ripstop or coolweather stuff. These are about a 4# pant. Good hunting!

Edited by jagr

Jason,

you have any advice how how to size the Kevlar pants if you want to use them as an overpant over your jeans? if you're a 38, what size would you rcommend buying?

probably best to go try on some stuff at Iron Pony but you seem to know what you're on about

I basically went in with my jeans on and tried them on over top. It's easier that way to fit for waist and length. Also sit in them. I did buy my Kevlar to wear over my work pant too. Thin polyblend Cintas drawls provide no protection from anything. Hence the overpant. Enter office, strip overpant in view of all the ladies checking out my Boomstick. Classy I am.

If you go the BDU route. They are roomy in the thigh and the Propper brand has an elastic sinch concealed internally and accessible in the main cargo pocket. This also helps eliminate wind flappage (new word is born) and provides a custom fit. Also a lace at the bottom of the pant keeps the wind out. I actually wore these OVER my Kevlar when I did Deals Gap in October. Chilly it was but I was comfy and not overburdened.

my problem with the reinforced jeans is that most of them have no armor.

I have a set of these that fit well under most jeans:

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/

Comfortable, warm for cooler weather and surprisingly cool in warmer weather (as long as you're moving)...Covers all the 'corners', but I doubt the lycra has any meaningful abrasion resistance. But coupled with kevlar jeans...?

I have a set of these that fit well under most jeans:

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/

Comfortable, warm for cooler weather and surprisingly cool in warmer weather (as long as you're moving)...Covers all the 'corners', but I doubt the lycra has any meaningful abrasion resistance. But coupled with kevlar jeans...?

I've looked at these once before, neat idea. I need to get something this year

that I can wear when not wearing my leather pants. I try to wear the leather as

often as possible but its just not appropriate for everyday/every ride use.

Plus leather is hot. I throw chaps on for cooler weather, and usually just wear jeans for ridin around. Hardly wear a helmet for local rides, but long rides I do, or super slab, yes. Usually have a jacket on with armor, either leather for cooler weather or mesh for the heat. Which pants tho, that will do the job and not be freakin hot....and not cost so much you have to take a loan out...

I'm don't see why people would buy Carharts or similar stuff instead of dedicated motorcycle gear. By shopping closeouts, you can get purpose-built gear that will probably work better and won't make you look like a pig farmer, and for the same price or less. (No offense to all you pig farmers out there.)

I own and ride with purpose built motorcycle pants 90% of the time, but on the occasions where it's not convenient or you don't want to look like a sci-fi stand in, I prefer a normal pair of pants. Carhartts make their dungarees in colors beside pig farmer tan, same with the Firehose pants from Duluth, many cuts and colors there and the abrasian resistence of those I'd put up against most mid-level moto-specific....and some of it has pockets for knee-pads, depending on the style. The Firehose pants also have gusseted crotches which helps greatly on a bike.

Edited by swingset