Picked up a new tow rig

max power

shawn - you wont regret getting these

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey+Thompson/672/5162/10002/-1

awesome tread life, all around great tires...

these ones have a more aggressive tread - not sure how they hold up mileage wise

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey+Thompson/672/5362/10002/-1

that picture isnt right though, it shows the same tread as the first one i posted, but it is actually different

like this

http://www.streetxpressions.com/cartgenie/images/small/baja_atz.jpg

i might give the second set a try since i like a little more aggressive tires, but ill be buying one of the two for sure.... friend has the first ones on his truck and after 40k miles they still look fairly new

Edited by Steve Butters

• 4 months later...

updated pic:

2011-07-10_13-16-43_149-1.jpg

Went with the Firestone AT's. Got a great deal, I just hope they wear well.

Wheels are PC'd Matte Black by Performance Powdercoating. I ended up buying some Z71 wheels and having them coated. Sold the ugly directionals with the tires off the z71 wheels. Worked out well.

Edited by max power

I had Goodyear silent armours on my silverado when they first came out not a bad overall tire, but they weren't cheap I got good mileage out of them and put Dayton tires that my mechanic recommended on and I liked them better honestly. The daytons had better steering response. I was getting 15 to19 with my silverado when I had the bed cover once it came off it was 15 to 17 of course truck had s few more miles on it at that point. If I ran the interstate at 67 mph when I had the cover I got 22 mpg average with premium gas. Put a k&n air filter on the suburban I got 1+ mpg better with it. I had a 5.3 in my 04. Most guys get crappy mpg with the 6.0 . I kept my truck maintened also which helps. The dodge I have now with the hemi doesn't get as good in town 11-13 but highway does well because it shuts down cylinders.

Happy towing I've always liked the suburbans.

If a k&n for an 04 5.3 silverado will work for you I have the spare from my old truck its yours if want it and pay to ship assuming its still in my garage.

Edited by crb

I have a 5.7l in my suburban, I get around 15mpg towing and 19mpg normally

I know this is an older post, but I'm glad I wasn't crazy thinking there was a 5.7 option.

I know (or used to know) Fords a lot better than Chevys, but I would have been shocked if the 5.7 block wasn't used in the trucks. I only knew the 5.3 from the SSR, and I didn't know the 6.0 had been around as long as it would seem it has.

I really don't want to bag on the 5.3, but like I posted before about my buddy Mike's Tahoe, the 5.3 was kind of underwhelming towing a 6x12 with two bikes. I wasn't driving, so maybe I'm off-base, but as a passenger it sure seemed like the 5.3 was making a lot of noise.

No enclosed for me, but my "tow rig" gets almost 24mpg highway on its own, and right around 20 towing a bike or two. Really liking the last gen Tucson V6. My Altima w/ a 2.5 inline 4 only gets 1 or 2 mpg better on the highway!

They stopped using the 5.7 in the large body suv's when they changed to this body style in, I believe, 2000.

The 5.3 is a the same block as the 5.7 but different heads.

Mine has plenty of power (way more than a Hyndai) because it has the 3.73 gears. Your buddy probaly has the 3.42 gear set in his truck which gets much better mileage, but pays for it in towing power. Plus, putting 35" tires on any truck is going to stress the powertrain noticeably.

I have a 4Runner that will pull my trailer just fine, but has no room compared to the Burb and the stress that towing a 7x12 trailer loaded puts on its drivetrain worries me enough that a good tow rig was in order. Have you ever priced an electronic overdrive transmission for a 4x4 Toyota? Scary.

I surely wouldnt be interested in towing much with a Hyundai.

I wasn't saying my wife's mini-SUV is better for towing than a chevy V-8; only that it pulls 2 bikes on an open trailer just fine, and uses less gas doing it.

I wouldn't even attempt an enclosed though.

My friend's truck has stock tires. Someone else said they were considering 33's or 35's for their suburban, and I advised against it. Wasn't bashing anyone's choices w/ the suburban, and wasn't aware of when/why the 5.7 wasn't a popular option.

No worries dude. I just read all the posts and answered the qestions that stuck in my head.

This thing is overkill for what I use it for, but I like it that way. I find myself being less and less enthusiastic about working on cars (or throwing $ at repairs) as I get older. Plus, I couldnt beat it for the price. I bought it when gas was over $4/gal.

People were giving these things away.

We use it for camping alot and haul all our gear and 3 ATV's on the trailer. It gets pretty heavy. Will be pulling 4 or 5 bikes and riders and gear to the Gap in a few weeks.

It gets about 14mpg and is driven sparingly. It does ride like a caddy and the wife loves it, although she keeps pushing for a lift kit and 35's

Edited by max power

shit, tell her my truck needs a 4" lift and 35s :D

send her my way...ill even let you keep my 25% tread life remaining 33's

She isnt interested in paying for the lift out of her bank account. She wasnts me to pay for and install it. F that. besides, single digit gas mileage makes me cry like an indian at the dump. :cry: