wanting to buy a 1911 for concealed

BeastieSSSC

how possible/how practical is it to conceal a full 5" 1911? is that just too big and too heavy? I'm primarily looking at kimbers, but i haven't left out any SA's. I like the idea of being more accurate when I'm at the range with the 5" over having the tiny 3", that's my dilemma

how possible/how practical is it to conceal a full 5" 1911? is that just too big and too heavy? I'm primarily looking at kimbers, but i haven't left out any SA's. I like the idea of being more accurate when I'm at the range with the 5" over having the tiny 3", that's my dilemma

It's all personal preference. If you are 6'8" and 400lbs, you'd conceal it no problem. If you are 5'2" and 105lbs then you might have some problems. It also depends on your dress. If you're the 400lb guy and wear spandex all the time, it'd be hard to conceal it. But if you are the 105lb guy and wearing some clown type clothing, no problem.

The hardest part of concealing any firearm is the grip, barrel length is more of a comfort/convenience thing. That said, a fullsize 1911 isn't terrible to conceal, especially given its "thinner" dimensions. The biggest advantage you can give yourself is a good belt (stiffer the better) and a quality holster (a $20 uncle mikes isn't going to secure or conceal the gun as well as a Fist, Comptac, Tucker, Milt sparks etc.. holster).

As far as 1911 size, the 3" will be lighter, have a smaller grip frame to conceal, etc... My dad recently bought a kimber for ccw, an ultra CDP, and it was a shooter for sure. I double tapped rounds into the same hole at 21 ft pretty consistently. However, 3" 1911s are generally finicky compared to the fullsize. My dad's didn't run for shit, the extractor tension was jacked up from the factory, burrs on the slide rails etc... Took me 2 hours,500 rounds (after it had a 500 round break in), and tearing it apart about 10 times to adjust the extractor to get it to run right. This was only the second kimber I've seen that didn't run for shit, but a buddy that owned a range for a while said it was pretty common on the ones built in the last few years, especially the 3".

That said, I'm looking to switch to a 3" for my carry gun.

The 5" gun will not be any more accurate in a practical sense than the 5." Each are more accurate than 99% of humans. Barrel length has little, if anything, to do with accuracy.

Short 1911's typically don't run well at all. If you're shopping production pistols, I'd go at least 4.25" barrel length, and stay away from Kimber. Springfield, Colt, and S&W would be my choices.

That said, the 1911 makes little sense for most concealed carry use. Is there something drawing you to that platform? There are other options that will probably suit you a lot better.

My advice is don't. Of course that is based on my first and only handgun that happens to be a 1911. After almost 1000rds of "break-in", lots of tinkering and frustration, I finally completed a 90rd course of fire this evening without a malfunction. That's the first successful range trip since the first 50rds. I feel like I got a lemon but a search of the internet shows it to be a common story these days, with manufacturers across the board apparently pushing the limits of their tolerance capability and parts quality.

I wouldn't count on something like this for defense. Get some tactical tupperware that will go bang every time you pull the trigger. In my opinion (again, based on my rather limited experience), 1911s are for people who like to tinker.

I've never carried a 1911 but I wouldn't choose a sidearm based on what is "American". You need to carry something you are comfortable with and you can shoot well. There are a wide range of firearms that people carry on here. XD, Glock, M&P, LCP, Bodyguard etc etc. Most were chosen due to reliability, how they fit the hand, how well they shoot with it, ease of carrying (could be concealability) etc etc.

My prefered handgun is a 1911.....NOT because it is some kind of symbol...

1) The high hand grip on a 1911 is the most comfortable for me

2) Both 1911's I have, my TRP and my basic GI have been 100% RELIABLE after well over a 1000 rounds..

3) My TRP is the most acurate hand gun that I have ever fired

I think the 3" look so tiny and toy gunish, and seem too expensive for that size of a handgun

-Find a brick.

-Carry brick around in your pocket for a few days.

-Decide that carrying a brick around all day is a bad idea.

-Spend money on a lightweight carry gun that you will carry everywhere, everyday and barely notice that its there.

That 1911 will do you no good on a hot summer day in the console of your truck.

The lightweight toy gunish weapons are that way for a reason. ;)

• Upvote 1

To me there's no other handgun that symbolizes america better than a 1911, its history is a subject I'm very proud of. I would like one that is all stainless, not looking to spend over a grand though

I can respect that, but are you shopping for a historic symbol/family heirloom, or the best tool to possibly defend your life with one day in a dark alley when you're beaten and bloody?

The two very rarely go together.

I've never carried a 1911 but I wouldn't choose a sidearm based on what is "American". You need to carry something you are comfortable with and you can shoot well. There are a wide range of firearms that people carry on here. XD, Glock, M&P, LCP, Bodyguard etc etc. Most were chosen due to reliability, how they fit the hand, how well they shoot with it, ease of carrying (could be concealability) etc etc.

He said the "G" word.... the apocalypse is near. I've owned a full-size 1911 and loved it. However, no matter what fantasy was in my head, I didn't reach for it when it was time to carry. The 1911 is inherently accurate, but does take skill and focus to shoot well. The 3" models are known for problems, but in many cases, the problems are due to improper technique. Buy a 1911, enjoy stroking it, cleaning it, and shooting it..... after you find yourself a carry gun. Just my opinion. I know there are many experienced shooters on this board who carry 1911s every day. Key word being "experienced". Good luck.

My advice is don't. Of course that is based on my first and only handgun that happens to be a 1911. After almost 1000rds of "break-in", lots of tinkering and frustration, I finally completed a 90rd course of fire this evening without a malfunction.

Jeez man, what brand 1911 do you have. I have a full size Springfield loaded model I picked up back in '99 that has been the raw definition of perfect. I have well in excess of 10K rounds through it. Heck two sets of mainsprings (one every 5K needed or not) and the normal cleaning and care is the only thing I have had to do to the handgun in the past 12 years. I can honestly say I don't think the gun has had a single on range malfunction the entire time I have owned it.

Para Ordnance. :nono:

Huh, that's odd. I had always heard that Para was one of the better manufacturers. You use oil or grease to lube it? I run grease on the moving parts of all my semi-auto guns, barrel, frame rails and recoil spring in this case. It seems to last longer during long days at the range and doesn't throw off the slide and end up all over your face like some of the thinner oils can.

I use a white calcium based grease made by Lubriplate but pretty much anything you can get at an auto parts store for wheel bearings is good stuff. Several people I have shot with in the past have sworn by the black molly grease you use to pack cv joints with. The pound can I have now will probably last me another 10-15 years as a little bit goes a long way.