Tips to increase MPG?

max power

I bought this truck to tow and haul people and gear. Its not readable to hypermile in those situations. I started this thread looking for ideas to get maximum tune without spending hundreds of dollars which defeats the purpose of saving money.

I already have $55 in plugs and 8 little 6" long wires are gonna set me back the same. What else can be done without breaking the bank?

Mine has a k&n filter on it. Maybe a new filter similar to that would be a bonus.

The price for used diesel are the same as new ones. That's how I ended up with a chevy lol

i just went to CL to show you that youre wrong since i see 99-03 7.3L 4x4s for sale all the time for 10 or less....but when i typed in diesel excursion 4x4, theyre still going for 20ish for an 03....wtf?? :lol:

ide rather have an f-series anyways, but i dont understand how the excursions are going for twice the cost of the pickups

speak of the devil!!!

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/2238934997.html

lmao check out who the seller is....nice truck, low miles...too bad its a 6.0

reading through the options on it, i guess i understand why it costs so much :lol: heated memory foam seats, dvd package, etc

Edited by Steve Butters

I already have $55 in plugs and 8 little 6" long wires are gonna set me back the same. What else can be done without breaking the bank?

you bought 8 plugs at $7 each? $7x8= $56

but have only have $55 in plugs & wires? :wtf:

Are sure your math is right calculating fuel mileage????

I have a 2004 Suburban LT autoride AWD that gets 14.6 city 19.8 highway

my mods/upkeep

trans:

flush & filter

corvette servo

.490 boost valve

forward pinless connector

new u-joints

motor:

plugs & MSD 8.8 wires

removed the coolant/heater hose from the throttle body

coolant flush/t-stat

under body:

front & rear diffs gear oil replaced every 70K

I also make sure the tires are properly inflated

a/c condensor is kept clean

elect. fan coming soon from a 06 suburban

& possibly headers

Edited by Big3

ive already sold that excursion lol.

Look in your glove box and there is a white sticker with a bunch of 3 digit codes. Look at the G codes, what are they? GT4= 3.73 gt5=4.10 and g80= locking rear diff.

What does your truck have for a rear end?

i just went to CL to show you that youre wrong since i see 99-03 7.3L 4x4s for sale all the time for 10 or less....but when i typed in diesel excursion 4x4, theyre still going for 20ish for an 03....wtf?? :lol:

excusions are retarded how much their going for. alot of people want them and there arent that many since they quit making them so its driving the price up.

I do have a 7.3 for 10k :o

ive already sold that excursion lol.

Look in your glove box and there is a white sticker with a bunch of 3 digit codes. Look at the G codes, what are they? GT4= 3.73 gt5=4.10 and g80= locking rear diff.

What does your truck have for a rear end?

It has the 3.73 rear end.

I bought this truck to tow and haul people and gear. Its not readable to hypermile in those situations. I started this thread looking for ideas to get maximum tune without spending hundreds of dollars which defeats the purpose of saving money.

Not much unfortunately, unless you want to buy a diesel. Or get radical with some fiberglass.

335919501_644b924dc3_o.jpg

According to the designer it uses 30% less fuel, and that's just based on aerodynamics (based on long hauls, not around town driving. I'm not giving an inch on the aerodynamics argument Jporter12 :beathorse:) They didn't touch the engine at all.

Check into Wynns Powercharge or their fuel system cleaner - this stuff boasts improved consistency in fuel delivery and enhanced performance along with improved mileage.

You can buy through BrocksPerformance.com or possibly other online vendors - I'm going to try it in my bike for some "butt-dyno" results first then try it in my truck - but it is supposed to be good for any engine's fuel system

• 1 year later...

Whenever some sells you a car, knock 3-4mpg off of whatever they tell you it will get. They're telling you the best they ever got, that one time three years ago when they went all the way across Indiana at 60 mph on the highway.

I agree with the Seafoam. Menards has it for $6.50. Full can in fuel tank (truck has 31 gallon tank. I added Sea Foam to about 15 gallons/ half tank). I had never used it until about three weeks ago. 03 Avalanche was idling roughly and the check engine light was on. Within ten minutes, idle was fine and CEL was off (still is). Don't know what it did, and I don't keep track of the MPG (wife's truck, and she has a lead foot. Keeping track of the MPG on that just makes me angry...), but I'll pour a can of Sea Foam in every few months.

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

• 6 months later...