Tips to increase MPG?

max power

I notice a a couple MPG increase in mileage when the fuel suppliers switch to summer blend. There IS a big difference in summer and winter gasoline.

is that really from the gas, or is it because summer heat sucks power away from an engine, thus (accidentally) making it slightly less thirsty?

I always thought of it as the opposite of an intercooler or cold-air intake. those add power, but suck economy. Winter weather would produce teh same effect, no?

try bumping the timing up a little bit and using prem fuel.

using premium is a huge waste of money unless it's a high compression engine. As far as I know, the Chevy 5.3 is not. 87 octane should do BETTER than 93

1 get a consistant 15city and 18-20 on the highway with my 2003 suburban.. after changing all 4 o2 sensors, plugs and wires and fuel filter. its about as good as it gets without a tune from DTM which i was thinking about myself. but remember you bought a v8... it sucks the gas in $4 gallon days... get used to it

hahaha - i have nothing against using premium in sportbikes and high performance cars that are actually designed for it.

even my 1993 ford Probe GT asked for premium... And to be fair, it did get better mileage with premium gas, so on long trips, that's what it got. In town though? not unless I had my parents' credit card.

6.0L awd and I'm averaging 14.9 city and 19.8 highway...you're doing something wrong.

P.s. put your foot through the floor at every stoplight and get to your cruising speed sooner. Some people will say its bullshit but driving like a pussy gets worse mileage for me.

is that really from the gas, or is it because summer heat sucks power away from an engine, thus (accidentally) making it slightly less thirsty?

I always thought of it as the opposite of an intercooler or cold-air intake. those add power, but suck economy. Winter weather would produce teh same effect, no?

It is a fact that winter blend fuel is different to make startup easier, and such, I forget all the reasoning behind it. The oxygenates that they use will reduce fuel economy. The engine really see pretty much the same operating temperature year around, by design. They have to maintain a certain temperature to stay efficient enough to pass by the EPA. Many modern engines run temperatures that would have scared us to death 25 years ago. Back then, 200 degrees was borderline overheating, but now some vehicles run up to about 230 degrees before turning on the electric cooling fans!

6.0L awd and I'm averaging 14.9 city and 19.8 highway...you're doing something wrong.

P.s. put your foot through the floor at every stoplight and get to your cruising speed sooner. Some people will say its bullshit but driving like a pussy gets worse mileage for me.

I agree with you IF the next stop is far away enough to average it out. If it's just a couple blocks, you're not going to make it up in cruising.

what gearing does your 5.3 have? That could have a lot to do with it. Is it 4x4?

i have a new body style silverado with the 4.8. Its got 3.73 gearing. and its a 2WD. I only get 13-14 city and i drive to North Carolina and never got better than 17.5mpg on cruise (when i was in the mountains i got 16).

Tonneau Covers only help certain vehicles. I have a Tonneau cover on mine and it didnt do a single thing. I check my MPG every fill up.

We sell scooters at Schiets that go 70mph, and get 90MPG+. says 120 in the manufacturer book. And the scooter is only $1899. Its not chinese. Its an Eton 150cc. This thing can pay for itself in one summer of religious riding.

Its a 2002 Suburban 4x4. I have no idea what the gearing is, im guessing 3.73.

I don't expect awesome mileage, just 15-18 would be nice. A scootoer wont tow a trailer, which is the main reason I bought it along with its people and shit hauling capacity.

Btw, this is not mt DD. I'm not that stupid.

P.s. put your foot through the floor at every stoplight and get to your cruising speed sooner. Some people will say its bullshit but being a pussy works for me.

whatever floats your boat :confused:

Make sure your auto 4wd if off and its set to 2 hi. Im getting around 11-12 to and from work and that's all city stop and go for 4 miles. I drove to columbus last weekend and was babying it like crazy and got a remarkable 25.5 mpg!