Tips to increase MPG?

max power

Long story short - Friend and forum member talks me into buying 5.3 V8 Chevy. Says it gets 15-18 MPG. Truth - 13 MPG driving like my granny is sleeping in the trunk. FUCK!!!

What to do to make a FI engine get better mileage?

Truck only has 67k

I bought new plugs ($7/ea.! Iridium) damn E85 engine! Supposed to be good for 100k.

Planning on new wires. There is no cap/rotor. Each cylinder has its own coil instead.

Bought new fuel filter.

Will be needing new tires soon - any suggestions?

What else can I do? Is this just the "true" mileage of the 5.3 and I'm screwed?

Drive as though there's an egg between the pedal and your foot, and you don't want to clean the mess that it would make if you smash it! In my Increpid, I can gain a couple MPG easily with driving habits, accelerating slowly, and lot's of coasting, slowin down for a stop early, using the brakes less, etc...

I notice a a couple MPG increase in mileage when the fuel suppliers switch to summer blend. There IS a big difference in summer and winter gasoline.

Buy a civic.

:wackit:

Cant pull a trailer or haul 8 people in a Civic.

Drive as though there's an egg between the pedal and your foot, and you don't want to clean the mess that it would make if you smash it! In my Increpid, I can gain a couple MPG easily with driving habits, accelerating slowly, and lot's of coasting, slowin down for a stop early, using the brakes less, etc...

... driving like my granny is sleeping in the trunk.

Same thing. I have been literally babying this thing.

Turn your truck off at every stop light, in fact put it in neutral and turn it off as you're coasting to a stop. Try to coast as long as possible. It's all about momentum, not speed or power. It might shorten the life of your starter, but the money you save over the next few fill ups will pay for it.

Never drive above 55, in fact, never drive above 35 if you can. Pick routes that don't have many stops, and try to keep your engine RPMs near the idle range.

Buy a tonneau cover. My friend got his truck from 18mpg to around 22mpg after he installed one.

Also, keep the truck clean on the inside. In fact, gut it of everything non-essential.

Sorry but:

You're going to have to drive it like your grandmother is asleep in the trunk, holding the last Fabergé Egg ever made in Tsarist Russia.

When I was commuting to Mt Vernon, I was pulling 35mpg in the city and 45-50mpg on the freeway in a 95 Nissan240sx. I could have probably gotten 60mpg on the freeway, but it was a boring commute.

Turn your truck off at every stop light, in fact put it in neutral and turn it off as you're coasting to a stop.

Bad idea. Lose power breaks and steering while driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what gearing does your 5.3 have? That could have a lot to do with it. Is it 4x4?

i have a new body style silverado with the 4.8. Its got 3.73 gearing. and its a 2WD. I only get 13-14 city and i drive to North Carolina and never got better than 17.5mpg on cruise (when i was in the mountains i got 16).

Tonneau Covers only help certain vehicles. I have a Tonneau cover on mine and it didnt do a single thing. I check my MPG every fill up.

We sell scooters at Schiets that go 70mph, and get 90MPG+. says 120 in the manufacturer book. And the scooter is only $1899. Its not chinese. Its an Eton 150cc. This thing can pay for itself in one summer of religious riding.

You need to talk to me.

I do tunes for 5.3 and 6.0 fleet vehicles for a company out of state.

what about a 4.8?

Never drive above 55, in fact, never drive above 35 if you can. Pick routes that don't have many stops, and try to keep your engine RPMs near the idle range.

I'm gonna have to call :bs: on this. The aerodynamics of most modern vehicles is optimized for 55-65 MPH. To run 35, you're going to be in town, or lot's of stop and go, which will kill mileage. My 13 yr old Intrepid with 202,000+ on the clock will get close to 30 MPG on the highway, running about 70 MPH. Taking the back roads to work, keeping the speed down around 45, I get more like 23 MPG. As said earlier in the post that I quoted, it IS all about momentum.

Turn your truck off at every stop light, in fact put it in neutral and turn it off as you're coasting to a stop. Try to coast as long as possible. It's all about momentum, not speed or power. It might shorten the life of your starter, but the money you save over the next few fill ups will pay for it.

Buy a tonneau cover. My friend got his truck from 18mpg to around 22mpg after he installed one.

Also, keep the truck clean on the inside. In fact, gut it of everything non-essential.

hello troll, i see you have found this thread.

Bad idea. Lose power breaks and steering while driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brakes use vacuum from the motor--no gains there.

Steering yes- Pump could have a clutch like the a/c unit does activated by vehicle speed.

Alternator- could be clutch activated when brakes applied or slowing down. Or Forget it all together and go wind powered generator/alternator using exhaust gases/wind tunnel and/or solar discretley.

Water pump- change to electric

your best bet would be to switch to one of the new low rolling resistance tires. They do nothing for the trucks aesthetics but your mpg should go up 2-4mpg. You will also see lower mpg #s if you are running e85 as it does not contain as much energy as gasoline in comparison.

please do us all a favor and don't be one of those people who drive their vehicle 15mph below the speed limit because they can not afford to drive like a normal person.

Brakes use vacuum from the motor--no gains there.

Steering yes- Pump could have a clutch like the a/c unit does activated by vehicle speed.

Alternator- could be clutch activated when brakes applied or slowing down. Or Forget it all together and go wind powered generator/alternator using exhaust gases/wind tunnel and/or solar discretley.

Water pump- change to electric

not all cars use vacuum for brakes....my mustang had a bad IAC sensor, i put it into N coming to a red light and the car stalled out...bye bye power assisted brakes...hydroboost car

You need to talk to me.

I do tunes for 5.3 and 6.0 fleet vehicles for a company out of state.

What would you charge for a tune on a 2000 silverado 4x4 5.3 motor. i think i need one badly. Im only getting 11-12.5 mpg, city or highway.