Tips to increase MPG?

max power

Corn fuel is the biggest contributor to poor economy. It's a terrible idea.

doto.gif  Ethanol at the Pump? 

Ethanol is usually blended with gasoline to produce different levels of ethanol fuel. E10 is a mixture of 10% ethanol and 90% regular gasoline. This produces a fuel with an 89 octane rating. E10 can be used in all regular gas fueled cars and trucks. By using E10, you can reduce the CO2 emission levels by 3 to 6% and reduce the use of fossil fuel petroleum. Yes, using E10 will make a difference!

E85 contains a higher percent of ethanol than E10. It is a combination of 85% ethanol and 15% regular gasoline. This renewable alternative fuel has a 105 octane rating which is higher than the 93 octane of supreme grade fuel. Since E85 has a higher ethanol content, it can only be used in specific vehicles. These vehicles are called Flex Fuel Vehicles or FFV’s. These vehicles can fuel up with regular gasoline, E85 and even mix together between fuel ups. All three of the major auto manufacturers produce FFV’s. By the end of 2006, there will be more than 6 million of these vehicles on the road. Production of these vehicles began in 1998. So don’t think it is just the latest cars on the market. Refer to the FFV section on our Home Page for more information on FFV’s. Click on www.e85fuel.com for an updated list of FFV’s that have been produced since 1998.

doto.gif  Why should I use ethanol fuel?

1. Ethanol fuel is renewable and burns cleaner than gasoline.
  2. Ethanol fuel emits less harmful emissions such as carbon monoxide.
  3. Additional farmland use would help US farmers and the economy.
  4. Very little petroleum is used in ethanol production reducing our dependency on foreign oil.
  5. E85 typically costs less at the pump than regular unleaded gasoline.

Ethanol is a horrible idea, and if corn weren't so heavily subsidized, it would cost way way more to produce than gasoline...

If you really really want to burn corn, corn oil is a much better option, switch to a diesel engine.

Is your Tahoe flex fuel?  The thing about the subs is they cruise at 70 and only are taching around 1700 rpms. So idt it's the gearing. 

Not it's not

My burb has 3.73 gears. I've been told the units without the tow package have 3.42 gears and get much better mileage.

I pretty sure my Hoe has 3.42 gears but also has the tow package, but only rated to tow 7500lbs, sure yours don't have 4.10 gears?

I found this about 2001 Suburbans:

For a 1500 2wd w/ 3.73 gearing-7800lbs, w/ 4.10 gears-8800lbs.

If it is a 4wd w/ 3.73 gears-7600lbs, 4wd w/ 4.10 gears-8600lbs.

Vehicle gearing is indicated by vehicle RPO codes, which are on a sticker in the glove box. It is a sticker with many 3 digit codes. If you see a GT4 you have 3.73 gears. If you see a GT5 you have 4.10 gears.

Ok after a little web reading hers what I came up with. The 2000-2006 Suburbans came with the 3.73 or the optional 4.10 gears the 3.42 were not available. The same year Tahoes came with 3.42 standard on LT's and LS's, and 3.73 standard on the Z71's, the 3.73 was a option on the Ls & LT and the 4.10 was a option on all models. So that kind of explain the difference in your Burb and my Hoe.

Pretty sure the window sticker shows 3.73, but my engine is flex fuel, maybe that's the difference.

You sure yours isn't, Tim?

Positive we had to look up the codes when we did the engine swap last spring.

But on a side note about flex fuel engines. My wifes Impala has the 3.9L flex fuel and It gets 30 mpg all day long on the freeway with trunk full of luggage and the whole famn damily loaded up. We drove to New Orleans last year on 2 tanks each way.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

Read this thread. I suggest a rainy day as it is almost been running for 5 years and over a thousand posts. Everyday people with everyday results. Have I tried it? Yes. Did it work? Yes. We do several 700 plus mile day trips a year south to pick up our Grandkids in the family van. Started using it about a month before a trip. The next couple trips mileage was up right at 2 MPG. Wife no longer commutes 60 miles a day so I really don't track mileage like I used to. Search 2 stroke oil in a car and there is a shit ton of forums with info.

To elaborate on copper plugs for a quick moment. Copper plugs burm more completely, so when you your o2 sensor sees exhaust gas as rich from inco, plete irridium burm its going to adjust for less fuel, not a huge difference but it helps. When I wemt from irridum to copper I notice overall better performanc3 and a mileage increase from 30-32 averages to 35 average. I did the initial switch at 20k and now have 130k and I am still getting 35mpg, changing plugs every 20-30k

2006 ford focus 2.0 durTech non-vvt manual transmission a/c and conventional poeer steering.

Switch to Bosch injectors. They atomize much better. Fuel mileage and performance increases.

A Jeep friend convinced me to do the change. I can't remember what website sold them, but they were rebuilts and low cost.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

Read this thread. I suggest a rainy day as it is almost been running for 5 years and over a thousand posts. Everyday people with everyday results. Have I tried it? Yes. Did it work? Yes. We do several 700 plus mile day trips a year south to pick up our Grandkids in the family van. Started using it about a month before a trip. The next couple trips mileage was up right at 2 MPG. Wife no longer commutes 60 miles a day so I really don't track mileage like I used to. Search 2 stroke oil in a car and there is a shit ton of forums with info.

Nice link, but like you said, long ass thread. Can you clue us in with a short version of what oil your using, If you add it like he said 1oz per 5 gals and if you do this always? Seen the cheap 

Super Tech TC-W3 Outboard 2-Cycle Oil at Wal*mart for $12.15 a gallon!

When I drove 100 miles a day and wife was at 60 just for work fuel mileage was a big issue. I became somewhat anal about keeping track of it on both vehicles. Tire pressure was another. Saving money on tires at today's prices if you drive a lot is right there with MPG. Best ever on a set of tires--97,000. S-10 extended cab. Spending money on improving mpg is all about doing the math. How many miles do you have to drive to recoup 200 dollars spent to get 3 tenths mpg improvement? Chances are you will never get your money back unless you drive a shit ton of miles. If you are in the mpg ball park of what other people are getting then that is all there is. If you are on the low side--- things like a worn o2 sensor or thermostat that opens too soon could be an issue. As far as why this 2 stroke oil thing works for some people in my opinion is the benefit of reduced friction. Ever try turning an engine over even without the spark plugs? Add some premium lubrication to the cylinders and more of the power made goes to the crank instead of moving the pistons up and down. The result would be better mpg.

To answer your question---I used Pennzoil. As long as it is tc-w3 it shouldn't matter. I did try and meter it closely but not get anal about it. Easiest way I found was a marvel mystery bottle. Long neck and is marked in oz's. Give it a try. Any gains at all from 20 bucks spent may be worth it.

Does reduced friction matter?

Okay, I read a bunch of that thread last night. Today I pulled a couple of plugs to look at and take pictures. Then I filled up the truck and added 5oz of Pennzoil 2 stroke, tc-w3 of course, to my 26.4 gallon tank. No one had a container with 1oz increments so I bought a 5oz baby bottle to keep in the truck. I'll post up when i see a difference.

Stepdads truck is a v10 f250... He has a tuner and get a solid 8mpg city, 11 mpg highway ... It does have 35s,but still not sold.. My f250 had 33s and got 16/22 since it was diesel

Not sold on gas trucks, and definitely not sold on tuners for gas trucks (if mpg is the goal at least)

Edited by Steve Butters

Those V-10's (and the Dodge V-10's) are terrible for fuel mileage! The make good power, but it costs!

My v10 does better than my 5.9L magnum V8 ever did. And I can get 16 interstate. Not unimpressive at all.

My best bud has a 1 ton Chevy 4x4 dually quad cab with the Duramax diesel, that regularly gets 16 to 21. Looks allot like this one, although he is about to make it a flatbed. He is just blown away with the mileage that truck gets, and the hp and torque is UNREAL.

48631134.jpg

Edited by Pokey