trailer/ bike hauler options

2talltim

im looking to buy a trailer to haul our 2 bikes...it has to be at least a 4 x 8...a 5 x 8 is prefered..and total weight of trailer and bikes cannot exceed 2000 max ( would like to keep it around 1800lbs)..the bikes we current ly have 97 TLS and Shadow 600 weight about 900lbs but our future bikes M109R and a sporty 1200 will be around 1300 lbs total so i need to keep the trailer around 500 lbs or less total weight of trailer and flooring , chokes,ect..the weight is big because ill be hauling it with my 2007 chevy impala....other things i would like is the largest tires possible for freeway use...and as always price is huge(im a cheap ass)...so right now i think my best option is the one in the TCS sales flyer for $599 its a 5 X 8 with ramp gate 13" tires and it weighs 375 lbs and has a capacity of 1625 lbs http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-maintenance-accessories/trailers/utility-trailers/carry-on-trailer-reg-mesh-floor-trailer-1-625-lb-capacity-1090202

this is #1 on my list right now and the sale end sunday so does anyone else know of a beter option for me??????

OK one more thing i know there is going to be someone that is going to tell me that that car will not tow that much weight because GM says it is only rated to tow 1000lbs. ...this is true (sort of)...that tow capacity is based on the car GVWR being maxed out...in other words if the car is completely loaded down to it's max GVWR with people, lugage, fuel, cargo, ect it will only tow another 1000lbs on top of that...so if only 2 people, a couple duffle bags, and a full tank of gas it will be fine to tow much more thank 1000 lbs. as long as im not loaded down on the car its self...kind of confused me too but i checked with a GM mecanic and that is the way he explained it to me..plus he said those rating are over kill from GM to protect the car during waranty..i double checked because i didnt want to fry my ride

Only my opinion, but the trailer you're consideing would be a pretty flimsy choice to haul 2 full size cruisers at Xway speed. If you load that with the weight you've specified, I doubt the frame will last long without some reinforcement welded in. You'll have a lot of torsional pull on the side rails if you plan on attaching your tie-downs there as well.

I'd feel more comfortable with a true platform trailer--wood plank floor vs the mesh--with at least 14" and preferably 15" tires running on a 2500# min rating axle. If you stay under that weight, you shouldn't be required to have any trailer brakes.

If i went with the TSC trailer i was thinking of adding 3/4" treated plywod to the floor to help disrtibute the weight ..i think that will add about 150 lbs to the whole package and well under what im shooting for...do you think would keep the frame twist to a min?

5x8 at least. That's a good price. Get bearing buddies and rattle can paint it while it's clean if you want it to last. The paint they use is junk. Fades then rusts.

Edited by Gump

The truck is not a option ..#1 I cant afford the truck ...#2 i cant afford to put gas in a truck...the element might be a good idea if i could get 2 bikes in there...LOL..I know that the paint will need touched up from time to time i used to have a HD trailer i bought from Hill Equipment in marango and it faded and rusted too , every spring i used to just hit it with 2 or 3 cans of rustolium to touch it up

The hitch is on the car and all wired up..i got a sweet deal on a Class 2 Curt hitch with reciver, pin, and wire harness all for $160 delivered.....im headed out now to see what i can find...going to hit lowes menards, and homedepot too maybe theirs are built different and maybe they will price match the TCS ad...my buddie said he has some 2" and 3" angle iron in his shop if i need to reinforce it any that i can have

If you are going to haul that set up with that car for a long sustained trip you will end up spending more for the transmission repair than you save in gas not having a properly rated tow vehicle unless you are not going highway speeds or pulling hills. Your mechanic friend may be correct in his theory but I have seen this attempt fail too many times to count. I would ask him if he has any knowledge of anyone who successfully pulls off what you are attempting if you value his opinion. I sure don't know of any success stories and know of quite a few failures. I hope you are successful but won't be surprised if you don't get past 3,000 miles utilizing this method.

Well i went ahead with the TSC trailer...for now it will be fine with no Mods...because pulling the trailer w/ the TL and Shadow on it im only at 1150lbs total weight the car is "BOOK" rated to tow 1000lbs so i dont think that 150 will hurt anything with just 2 occcuants and light lugage

later on if i decide to tow anything heavier ill look in trans cooler and or a different tow rig...because ill be buying a new car becore i buy a new bike so it will be a couple years

but heres some food for thought the 2007 chevy uplander van had the same engine and tranny as my car and it is rated to tow 3500lbs?

Edited by 2talltim

Good luck not breaking anything. My story FWIW: Less than 2Kmi after I traveled 1000mi with a trailer to and a bike from NC, my GM tranny crapped out. It was only at 42k mi at that point and there was rapid degradation in transmission performance within 4 months. It first came on with a slight grind into 4th, eventually it wouldn't engage 4th at all and 5th started to grind. GM says it was the syncros on reverse, 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th that went bad.

Good luck not breaking anything. My story FWIW: Less than 2Kmi after I traveled 1000mi with a trailer to and a bike from NC, my GM tranny crapped out. It was only at 42k mi at that point and there was rapid degradation in transmission performance within 4 months. It first came on with a slight grind into 4th, eventually it wouldn't engage 4th at all and 5th started to grind. GM says it was the syncros on reverse, 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th that went bad.

What kind if car did you have if you dont mind me asking..sounds like a standard is this true?

What kind if car did you have if you dont mind me asking..sounds like a standard is this true?

It is a 2006 Saturn Ion with the 2.4L and yes its a standard. I babied it on the way back through the mountains, not because I worried about the car but because I worried about the bike.

It is a 2006 Saturn Ion with the 2.4L and yes its a standard. I babied it on the way back through the mountains, not because I worried about the car but because I worried about the bike.

Ok little bit different story here you have a 4 banger standard vs. my large v6 3.9L w/automatic...i have seen guys pulling bikes with honda civics and yoder celica's and i always wondered how those held up..i would say they are comparable to your saturn...thanks for sharing

Ride your bikes thats what they are for, unless your doing a track day ride to your destination

i do 90% of the time but my wife cant stand long freeway trips plus her little 600 shadow struggles to keep up at 75+mph on hi way..so for the couple trips a year she goes with (plus trips with the kids)thats where the trailer comes in

Ah forgot about the 600 shadows performance on the freeway. My dad owned one a few years back and I recall it not being much of a freeway bike

yea my last trip to deals gap one of my freinds had his 600 shadow, it sounded like a Model Airplane motor back there when my bike said 75 mph he said his spedo read 85+ and he said a couple times (down hill) he would try to catch up with us and hit his rev limit, those bike just need another gear WTF was honda thinking putting a 4 speed in them...she wants a sporty 1200 but she still dont like the long hauls