Typical new rider Qs

Jamez

Its rediculous. Most of my friends that ride have ridden for years and just expect me to just ride. Like somehow I'm supposed to pull riding knowledge out of thin air. I don't feel pressured to go out with them because I actually want to stay alive.

Just because I ride a sport bike doesn't mean that I'm a racer or I automatically have sweet skills.

Also I've noticed since I've started riding that in general, people in cars are A*&%#$S!

And that noone I talk to has anything positive to say about riding. Everyone says the same things. " be careful" or " my friend had one and wrecked..."

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and know when enough is enough. That will help keep you alive till you develop the skills to cross the gap. Something that will help is to hook up with riders who are willing to give you the advice, time and types of rides to help you develop into a good rider. On your own you can practice these skills to increase control response time and balance.

1. Low speed tight turns, as slow as possible without putting feet down.

2. Stopping, accelerate for 20 ft and then using both breaks evenly stop as quickly as possible without skidding or losing control.

3. Practice shifting up and down the range. Use smooth acceleration, learn how the engine sounds and feels when you shift in the sweet spot.

4. Lean the bike. Getting used to leaning the bike to turn vs trying to turn the bars. It doesn't mean drag a knee or hit 555 and 60mph. :lol: Normal streets with no gravel in the corners and speeds between 35-50mph. Pick a line and hold it through the corner, try shifting you weight around to see how it feels.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely take the MSF course. After the MSF course, the thing that increased my confidence the most was the Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD. Understanding everything that's going on is great! After that I'd just practice the basics and then, as Jbot advised, head to a riding school asap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPp4zyJXM28

I strongly agree that I need the MSF and will do so as soon as I can.

In the mean time I keep hearing about developing bad habits. What bad habits is everyone talking about or are most common?

Here's a little bit of a game I play with my starts/clutch control.

Learn the exact amount of play you can give the clutch where the bike lurches and you can start giving it gas.

In a parking lot, or whatever, practice dropping the clutch to that exact spot and pull it back in, you get REALLY used to the bike jumping... and it builds muscle memory to how much clutch you need to let go to get started.... now I just do it to mess with my wife on the back of the bike :)

I live in area where the are hills with intersections and red lights at the top. One of my clutch learning tools is to find a parking lot or business driveway with a hill. On Sundays go there and practice finding the Friction Zone. Idling and starting on the hill, and holding steady without the brake.

It is ok to come out of your comfort zone once and while. The more you do it the more skill you will pick up. As everyone else has pointed out, do not get pushed out of your ability zone.

I do not want to beat a dead horse, MSF :bow:is the best, even after you learn some skills

And that noone I talk to has anything positive to say about riding. Everyone says the same things. " be careful" or " my friend had one and wrecked..."

Yeah, ignore them. Those friends of a friend comments come from all non-riders. They're drama queens.

In the mean time I keep hearing about developing bad habits. What bad habits is everyone talking about or are most common?

A big one is target fixation. When you are coming up on something and you get scared, don't EVER stare at it! Be tough minded and tell yourself to look away from it further through the turn to where you want your bike to go and you will. If you target fixate, which lots of newbs tend to do, you will hit what you're looking at because you let fear control your mind. After while riding isn't such a chore and it'll be just fun for you. Like it has been said before...SEAT TIME and EXPERIENCING the road.

When I first started riding I was scared shitless at times. I took MSF before I even left my neighborhood, and after that I ventured EVERYWHERE! Even around busy malls and highways. Comfort came better after each time I did those things.

For being on an incline....remember you can give your bike as much gas as you want and it won't go anywhere until you release your clutch. Knowing that, don't be afraid to give it gas so it won't stall, but slowly release the clutch until your bike isn't rolling back and then add a little more release, while your still holding the gas open as much as needed, then slowly engage while your bike is now moving UP the hill. It'll come for you man. Just don't let your mind prevent you from learning sufficiently. If you can't win the mental game it's going to be hard to win at all.

Goodluck, have fun, and be safe. You're welcome to ride with me sometime up here near Dayton and I will take you to some country roads and parking lots and teach you some things if you'd ever like. Just hit me up sometime if you'd want to. I have done MSF, read twist of wrist II, and have been on a track, and been riding for 8-9 seasons on street and all sportbikes if you're curious about my history.

Edited by NinjaNick

What bad habits is everyone talking about or are most common?

I think the most common thing people are referring to is riding over your ability.

In other words letting other people push you to ride outside of your comfort zone.

Its very easy to do, especially when riding with others that are more experienced than you.

I've done it, I think most of us have done it, making it thru the experience without wrecking

is the hopeful outcome. I myself had two close calls last season, it slowed me down the rest

of the season and will most likely be on my mind at the start of this one.

Here is the last close call I had last season, I was riding with two other guys (nothing against

you guys at all, it was my own fault) that were much more experienced then me, I was unfamiliar

with the road, they were not, they are unseen in this video because they were way ahead of me.

In this video, I came up to hot on a really tight right turn, my gut told me I couldn't make it, so rather than lowside

trying to make it, I tried to stop, I locked the rear brake and never let off it until I bailed on the gravel road in the

apex of the turn. I fish-tailed several times in the process but feared if I let off the brake that the bike would grab and buck me off it.

The curve doesn't look that tight on approach in the video, not until you see

it when I come back up to, the camera plays tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2L2pn35Ulk

And yes, I had to stop and walk that one off abit, had to clean

the chocolate pudding out of my pants :o

Edited by SWing'R

Thanks for sharing man, that was 4 sure scary. I was watching the video and was like ahhh! Glad you made it. Ill bet your heart was a thumpin

Yeah it was a little hairy. My camera is mounted on the windshield,

so if the view looks like it turned to the left a foot as I'm fish tailing,

think about the math a minute and you'll realize that if the view shifted

a foot, that means my ass end must be going in the other direction a whole

lot more than a foot! Its hard to tell in the video but I was close to laying

it on its left side in the slide, my left knee hit the ground during it trying to keep it up.

Your north Cincy so just head east to SE Ohio and ride around at your own pace. Ride as many twisty roads as you can. As you feel more comfortable youll pick up speed and lean more. Ride with someone who is better have them lead but nothing fast and stay pace with them and youll see the person in front of you taking the turn at a speed and then you will see its safe. Ride when minimal traffic is on the road at first. I still ride when traffic is light as much as possible.

What bad habits is everyone talking about or are most common?

Big ones I see sport bikers do are poor shifting, poor lane establishment (picking a line), cornering, uneven panic breaking and lack of doing a head check before switching lanes.

ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time. If no one has mentioned it yet, get proper gear and wear it all the time. Full face helmet, gloves, protective boots, armored pants and jacket.

A couple bad habits that come to mind....don't ride in the middle of the lane,ride in the cars tire tracks.If there is dirt,debris,car parts,oil,grease and on and on,it will most likely be in the middle of the lane.I saw a guy doing this today.

Another bad habit...not looking far enough ahead,especially in turns.This one will take some practice and confidence.When going into a turn look as far ahead as the turn and surrounding obstructions allow.A lot of people just learning pretty much look just over the handlebars,you've gotta look out to see any possible hazards and to judge proper turn speed.Delayed apex cornering really helps with seeing ahead,but it might be a little early to bring that up.

Don't rely on leaning alone to corner.

Has anyone explained countersteering to you yet?Simply put...if you want to turn left PUSH on the left handgrip,to turn right Push on right handgrip.I know this sounds bassackwards,but it helps the bike "fall in" and makes cornering much easier.Just slight pushs are needed...give it a try in a parking lot if you aren't doing it yet.

Another bad habit...not canceling turn signals.Don't give the cages a reason to turn in front of you.

Edited by drc32-0

I do look pretty far into turns, I try to see the exit when its possible. I've found that when I do it correctly its like magic. The bike just goes wherever I was looking.

As far as push left, go left, I do as much as I can but I'm still leaning the whole push/lean and how much is not enough or too much. I feel pretty good in turns but I've found my starts from a stop to be most troublesome for me. I stall a lot.

As far as the MSF course goes should I show up in full gear? Or have it with me or is the first day all classroom?

Thanks

First, welcome

Second, if you have not signed up for the course, get signed up!

Third, Parking lots? Really. Do you have your temps?

If so sit down with a map. Pick a location and a route to get there, and go!

There is no better teacher than experience! Dont be in a rush. Just get out and go, but take your time. You will be learning and processing info the entire time.

Learn what you like and what you dont like, then work from there.

I.E. Personally I cannot stand off canter curves. Another words, curves that roll away from you on the angle instead of banking into you.

I do look pretty far into turns, I try to see the exit when its possible. I've found that when I do it correctly its like magic. The bike just goes wherever I was looking.

As far as push left, go left, I do as much as I can but I'm still leaning the whole push/lean and how much is not enough or too much. I feel pretty good in turns but I've found my starts from a stop to be most troublesome for me. I stall a lot.

As far as the MSF course goes should I show up in full gear? Or have it with me or is the first day all classroom?

Thanks

No, if you're going to try to be a walk-on there's no need to be geared up for the class-room portion (unless there's a long 1 day session I'm unaware of). As mentioned the riding portion requires long pants, long sleeves, gloves, helmet, and over the ankle footwear. If you've been riding already I'm hoping you have gear.

When I went to try to walk-on there were 6 others trying to walk-on and 5 no-shows. Only 1 person didn't get in.

My fiance' just walked into the msf course and passed this weekend. She was very nervous but ended up having a lot of fun. Prior to the class she was only willing to go up and down the driveway. She did maybe a mile or two on our rd. Now she is excited about riding and even thinking about buying a nicer bike.

I'm not that bad, I've been out cruizin quite a bit. I've put mabe 65-70 miles on the bike so far.

As I said in earlier posts I feel good about riding I'm just not comfortable around traffic.

I have helmet, gloves, nice jacket. I need to get pants and boots. I've been wearing jeans and sneakers. I want riding boots ( not random black boots ) but I don't know where to get them. There's not many places around here to buy that stuff. Id order online but I really want to try boots on before I buy. I saw a nice pair of alpine star boots online but again I have no idea how they fit.

Like everyone says practice is the best instructor. Parking lots are great for somethings but getting out on the road is the best teacher. You will learn so much. Just take your time and try to focus on what YOU are doing. Be aware of your surrounds but if an ahole is tailgating you because they think you are going to slow, wave them by. I had a dbag in a dully tailgate me and another rider for about a mile yesterday. There was a car in front of us going a little slow, he eventually passed all three of use. not trying to scare you but these things happen, just like being in your car. Just have fun. Even if you have to ride by yourself cuz your friends think you should be better then do it, nothing wrong with it. Sometimes it better that way cuz you can focus on what your doing without the peanut gallery making jokes. Just ride and break through the fear, and ride safe. If i lived closer i would help you out. Im sure you can find someone on here to help you out, just ask, thats what were here for

I'm not that bad, I've been out cruizin quite a bit. I've put mabe 65-70 miles on the bike so far.

As I said in earlier posts I feel good about riding I'm just not comfortable around traffic.

I have helmet, gloves, nice jacket. I need to get pants and boots. I've been wearing jeans and sneakers. I want riding boots ( not random black boots ) but I don't know where to get them. There's not many places around here to buy that stuff. Id order online but I really want to try boots on before I buy. I saw a nice pair of alpine star boots online but again I have no idea how they fit.

Look up mccoy motorsports, www.tobefast.com i think or make the drive up to cbus and go to iron pony, Pony has a huge selection of boots

One thing you can practice if the roads your on are completely vacant is pretend your in traffic. Stop and goes and such. Just take your time and don't rush yourself. Make sure you enjoy the ride.

No, no, no, no, NO!

You're using the internet all wrong. You're supposed to come onto this site and say, "I just got my first bike. Parking lot riding is boring - how can I do wheelies and ride 140mph weaving in and out of traffic on the highway?"

Then WE post this:

Just because I ride a sport bike doesn't mean that I'm a racer or I automatically have sweet skills.

And then you tell us that you're not a newb, because your older brother had an R1 in college, and he let you ride it around the block once.

From there the thread spirals into something really entertaining, and we make fun of you until you join that "ourbikesdontleak.com" site, or whatever it's called.

:welcome3: