Typical new rider Qs

Jamez

That's funny,

scary thing is I know people like that. Fortunately I'm old enough to realize that we (I) was not born knowing how to ride.

Let me try my introduction again to appease redkow97:

"Hey guys! I just got a new 600 but how do you get it over 170mph? I'm not new to sportbikes, I've read quite a few magazines so now I'm billybadass. I don't care if I'm safe as long as chicks look at me. I think I'm too cool for helmets and gear as its too hot and if your gonna hit something its best to have a few drinks in you so your nice and limber. I think in a week when I get better I'm gonna start racing other bikes. That'll be super cool. As long as I look sweet, everything else doesn't matter. Look at me, I ride a loud fast shiny sport bike!"

Is that better? :-)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny,

scary thing is I know people like that. Fortunately I'm old enough to realize that we (I) was not born knowing how to ride.

"Hey guys! I just got a new 600 but how do you get it over 170mph? I'm not new to sportbikes, I've read quite a few magazines so now I'm billybadass. I don't care if I'm safe as long as chicks look at me. I think I'm too cool for helmets and gear as its too hot and if your gonna hit something its best to have a few drinks in you so your nice and limber. I think in a week when I get better I'm gonna start racing other bikes. That'll be super cool. As long as I look sweet, everything else doesn't matter. Look at me, I ride a loud fast shiny sport bike!"

yes. thank you. Humility and common sense on the internet one day, raining frogs the next. You've just restored balance in the universe.

That's funny,

you forgot to post a vid of you trying to impress the girls or people on the freeway, while in your brand new jordan's and a wife beater

Hahaha, jordans!

I was thinking some old chuck taylors

* seriously though I do wear adidas adi-racers right now when riding but I know its very important to get riding boots and I'm working on it. I know if I go down my ankles will probably suffer the concequences and I like walking. Also I know the MSF course will only take you in with the proper gear. I do wear my helmet, gloves and jacket no matter what. Aside from that I just tool around town for now. I'm not ready for highway yet.

My shoes do have carbon fiber in them! Doesn't that count?

step 1: go to your local motorcycle gear store that carries at least a couple major brands. most will carry astars and maybe even sidi.

try on a couple different boots, and you should write down the numbers (along with model of the boots) that fit best. if you try on a sidi mid level boot, the racing boots will probably fit the same. hell, i just took the sizing info from my puma sneakers and ordered my puma racing boots and they fit perfectly. obviously, trying on the ones you are going to buy is the best method, but there is nothing wrong with well educated guesses. this applies for all gear purchases.

once you have that sizing info, get online, search ridemerchant, weraclassifieds, 2ontrack, and search google for: site:craigslist.org boots (or gloves, condoms, lube, etc)

buy them used to save a bunch of money, but make sure you see good pics first.

good luck out there!

IMO wait until you take the MSF before you start riding around.

you are going to develop bad habits that are going to be harder to break the longer you do them.

Everyone keeps saying to register for the MSF course. They are full until August. I do plan on walking in and trying my luck at getting into a class but should I still register and pay the 25.00 right now or just see if I can get a walk-in first? Or do you have to register and pay in order to be accepted as a walkin?

I took the class through Harley Davidson, $295. Alot i know, but i was in the same situation you are and i didnt want to wait. There was a kid that showed up with a helmet that was from the 70's and had next to nothing for padding and they let him use it. Just use a helmet, gloves(mechanics ones would work, someone had those too) jeans and a long sleeve shirt or any type of jacket would work. Theses classes are designed for new riders so they dont expect for everyone to have all the PROPER gear. Just cant have any skin exposed, and ankle high boots are a must, cant have sneakers.

K, thanks. Ill see if I can get in the next couple classes but if I can't then ill just register for august

If you don't mind spending an extra $25 just register for the August then try to do the walk-in earlier. You will loose you $25 sign up fee if you can get in earlier but its still a great value.

The first day (usually Thursday night around here) is classroom only. For the riding portion you will need long sleeves and pants and high top shoes (cover ankle). They will provide a helmet if you don't have your own. Especially if the weather looks bad for the riding days you are likely to get some openings.

I think part of your problem is starting out on too big of bike. I know its not as cool but bike like the Ninja 250R and TU250X are much easier to ride. They are very forgiving and you can gain confidence quickly. I decided on the 250R for my first year. Bought a used one and traded it in a year later for about $100 less than I paid for it. Nice thing about something like the 250R is you can rev it and dump the clutch and it won't rip the handlebars out of your hands or flip you on to your back. very forgiving.

I found the residential city streets to be pretty quick lessons on traffic, handling and starting/stopping. The speeds are lower so you don't feel as scared. There are lots of starts and stops and shifting giving plenty of practice. And there is enough traffic you have to get comfortable with it. With some time you can get confident and try tackling busier streets. Ofcourse those types of streets were readily accessible to me.

Craig

Everyone keeps saying to register for the MSF course. They are full until August. I do plan on walking in and trying my luck at getting into a class but should I still register and pay the 25.00 right now or just see if I can get a walk-in first? Or do you have to register and pay in order to be accepted as a walkin?

I walked in when I did mine, they were booked up for months in advance. First time I showed up, I was in. My brother and buddy followed me a month after, same thing. Seems there's always cancellations. I think you'll be fine there...especially if you're willing to go a county or so in either direction.

Good luck, btw, it's fun just learn all you can and be VIGILANT. If you're that, then all else will come to you.

I definately would've gotten a 250 if I had the choice. I have no issues with looking like a toolbag. Chances are I probably do anyways :)

I just got the TT600 for such a retarded deal off one of my best friends I couldn't pass it up.

Ill definately let you guys know if I'm able to get a walkin for the MSF.

As far as equipment I have a AC-12 carbon helmet, alpine star carbon knuckled gloves, blue ( to match bike ) scorpion synthetic jacket with removeable armor and liner. As I said I really just need a good pai r of boots and pants after that. So I'm won't have to wear their sweaty smelly disgusting gear that they have there. Eeew. I figure if I'm riding this stuff protects me so I may as well get good stuff.

You're off to a good start.

You recognize you weren't born knowing it all.

You've already learned and practiced the most important rule, look where you want to go (ie, no target fixation, look far ahead).

You already realize that you have to ride your own ride, and not get sucked in over your head by more experienced or less intelligent riders.

I wish everyone started with those attitudes.

Not so much for the OP but for everyone, I have to say, as someone who has done two track-based schools and one dirt-riding school, if you're trying to improve your safety level on the street, nothing is better than a Stayin Safe Training Tour. Even if you're an experienced, aware rider, you'll be amazed at how much better you can handle street situations, urban or rural. I know it's pricey, but it's truly information you can use and it's fun. Maybe something for the OP to consider a couple of years from now.

no offense Nick, and I apologize if I'm just not knowledgeable with regard to your riding/teaching experience, but what makes you qualified to instruct a new rider?

Being able to do something doesn't mean you're automatically good at teaching it. I'm sure you could answer any questions he has, but there is a method to the MSF's madness.

I can ride a bike pretty respectably, but I still sent my wife to the MSF course to learn to ride. The only "instruction" i gave her involved motor-off "quizzes" on what the controls did, and what she should do in a given situation. for 99% of that, she wasn't even sitting on the bike...

no offense Nick, and I apologize if I'm just not knowledgeable with regard to your riding/teaching experience, but what makes you qualified to instruct a new rider?

Being able to do something doesn't mean you're automatically good at teaching it. I'm sure you could answer any questions he has, but there is a method to the MSF's madness.

I can ride a bike pretty respectably, but I still sent my wife to the MSF course to learn to ride. The only "instruction" i gave her involved motor-off "quizzes" on what the controls did, and what she should do in a given situation. for 99% of that, she wasn't even sitting on the bike...

No offense taken. Just because we take the MSF we can't learn from others? The MSF taught me the little basics. Other more experienced riders taught me WAY more. The MSF is best for laying the foundation, everything else is learned from experience and others. They even teach the 4 finger rule, which isn't best for sportbikes. The majority of their techniques are based on cruiser riding. They lay the foundation to which you should build off of after.

Edited by NinjaNick

Id love for ninjanick to show me what's up! The problem is is that your way up in dayon. I'm still far off from being able to ride that far. If your willing to come down to cincy id love to go riding with ya man.

Id love for ninjanick to show me what's up! The problem is is that your way up in dayon. I'm still far off from being able to ride that far. If your willing to come down to cincy id love to go riding with ya man.

I figured North Cincy meant like West Chester and stuff. What city is North Cincy? Or you literally in the heart of Cincinnati? Yeah, I guess I didn't factor in that you wouldn't be able to ride here. I don't know any of the roads down there, so I can't lead because I wouldn't know where I'm going except on 75 getting down there. :lol:

After you get comfortable enough to get up here, let me know. :cool:

Edited by NinjaNick