Typical new rider Qs

Jamez

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I passed Clinton Massie on my way home from Dayton today. I decided 380 would be more fun than 75 South. Boy it was.

As soon as you see that WHITE firehouse on south 380 where the road FORKS when passing over the bridge that says entering CLINTON county and leaving Greene, that is my neighborhood I grew up in. We were 1 of the 1st houses in that neighborhood in 1991. You don't want to know the stupid shit I have done on 380 in my teenage years.

I passed Clinton Massie on my way home from Dayton today. I decided 380 would be more fun than 75 South. Boy it was.

As of last 2 years, St. Rte. 380 needs paved BAD though. That road is pretty nice when it's smooth blacktop. Today it's cracked and needs repaved.

Definitely take the MSF course. After the MSF course, the thing that increased my confidence the most was the Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD. Understanding everything that's going on is great! After that I'd just practice the basics and then, as Jbot advised, head to a riding school asap.

I actually have that DVD...wife bought it for me for my birthday, totally surprised. If you want to see it PM me.

I know I ask a lot of questions and have a lot to say but I'm a noob so please bare with me.

I've been working on my startoff and am getting quite a bit better.

So now here's my next problem.

I find that occasionally especially on right turns at decent speed I've found that I am rolling the throttle as I'm pushing and leaning. I know I'm supposed to gently roll throttle exiting a turn but I find that I'm doing it all the time, even entering and during the turn. I believe that part of the issue is that I shouldn't have started on a 600 because its not forgiving AT ALL with mistakes. It doesn't care and has no feelings. It doesn't care if it kills me, it just wants to go.

I'm guessing that my arms are too straight or my grip is too low causing the throttle issues but again its a guess. When its happening I'm concentrating on not dieing and not on what's exactly happening cause its happening too fast. I hope mabe with all the riders here mabe someone knows what I may be doing. I do understand that its difficult to tell without seeing me but mabe this is a common thing?

As always thanks

Unless you're coming to a stop you should be rolling on the throttle during a turn if you had to slow down for it AND holding it steady at the speed you've been cruising at if you didn't have to slow down for it. Don't over think things, most of the time they happen naturally. Also don't put all your weight on your arms/hands. Grip tank with thighs. Feel how the bike reacts on the road, under acceleration, when off the gas, when rolling it on in a turn, when slowing down. Let your body be relaxed and let the bike communicate to you through it's response. It becomes harmony over time.

But yeah you're right...someone behind you watching will provide tons more help than trying to get it right on the internet. You need a riding mentor. You need the MSF course asap, and a riding mentor to watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong on the road if you are.

Speaking of MSF, I'm hoping to get a walk-in next wed. I'll keep trying if I don't but I'm scheduled for end of June if for some reason I can't

Jamez, thanks for posting this thread (and those that replied). It's been helpful

I know I ask a lot of questions and have a lot to say but I'm a noob so please bare with me.

I've been working on my startoff and am getting quite a bit better.

So now here's my next problem.

I find that occasionally especially on right turns at decent speed I've found that I am rolling the throttle as I'm pushing and leaning. I know I'm supposed to gently roll throttle exiting a turn but I find that I'm doing it all the time, even entering and during the turn. I believe that part of the issue is that I shouldn't have started on a 600 because its not forgiving AT ALL with mistakes. It doesn't care and has no feelings. It doesn't care if it kills me, it just wants to go.

I'm guessing that my arms are too straight or my grip is too low causing the throttle issues but again its a guess. When its happening I'm concentrating on not dieing and not on what's exactly happening cause its happening too fast. I hope mabe with all the riders here mabe someone knows what I may be doing. I do understand that its difficult to tell without seeing me but mabe this is a common thing?

As always thanks

This sounds like your a little too tense.

As of last 2 years, St. Rte. 380 needs paved BAD though. That road is pretty nice when it's smooth blacktop. Today it's cracked and needs repaved.

The southern half of it was in pretty good shape. You are definitely correct on half of the road though.

Speaking of MSF, I'm hoping to get a walk-in next wed. I'll keep trying if I don't but I'm scheduled for end of June if for some reason I can't

Jamez, thanks for posting this thread (and those that replied). It's been helpful

no problem man, im just trying not to be roadkill as best as i can

___________________________________________________________________________________

Aside from that i know that im too tense. i cant help it man. i have no riding experience at all on a 110hp death machine. dont get me wrong riding is one of the best things ive ever experienced. i just feel like im not controlling it but more of riding it and guiding it along.

i will be trying to walk in the msf course may 4th. ill be there super early ( first come first serve ) so if anyone else here plans on doing this or has a spot may 4th, let me in!

Edited by Jamez

I admit, I didn't read every post. But here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough

2. Don't do anything you aren't comfortable doing. It's not worth getting hurt to rush your riding skills along.