48÷2(9+3)=?

Casper

48÷2(9+3)=?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. 48÷2(9+3)=?

i knew i wasnt mistaken....i change my answer back to what i originally thought...2!

i havent had math for awhile, but distributive property sounds familiar - and thats the way i had always done it before Mein Führer (Casper) spread his mathnazi propoganda in this thread.

Shit like this is why engineers don't know what vagina's taste like. It's goddman 288. (I think.)

I taste it on regular basis and im an engineer. Or maybe you just meant computer and software engineers, those guys are just big ass nerds.

Casper what did they teach you guys in school, its not pedmas. in PEMDAS you multiply before you divide, thats where you all are screwing up.

Multiplication and divison are the same, it's that simple. You can multiple the problem by taking 48*1/2(9+3) division is just multiplication by the reciprocal. One does not come before the other, PEMDAS is exactly the same as PEDMSA. What would the answer to 5÷2*10= ? Following your logic it would be 4 but it is not 4 it is 25... I don't understand why this is so hard for people.

I taste it on regular basis and im an engineer. Or maybe you just meant computer and software engineers, those guys are just big ass nerds.

I can vouch for the software enginerds. I see them all day at work. Then there's JRMMiii...forgor what kind of enginerd he is. Something about brakes on garbage trucks or happy meal box design.

• Upvote 1

I'm a spark-ee by degree, mech-ee by trade, and sex-ee by opinion. :cool:

if you used this line in any other thread that wasnt already nerd to the max, i swear i'd have to neg rep you out of spite

First off this one has letters in it....... makes it completly different.

its really not all that different. Technically the original is solving for X its just already on the opposite side of the = sign. This one just takes a few more steps to solve for X

but I see your point as well

Casper what did they teach you guys in school, its not pedmas. in PEMDAS you multiply before you divide, thats where you all are screwing up.

P (parentheses) = (9+3)=12

E (exponents) = no exponents

M/D (multiplication and division, left to right, weighted equally) = 48/2=24 then 24(12)= 288

A/S (addition and subtraction, left to right, weighted equally) = no addition or subtraction

What did they teach you? :lol:

First off this one has letters in it....... makes it completly different.

All you have to do is simplify the problem but it is no different when it comes to the argument of order of operations.

The problem isn't an order of operations one, it's a distributive property or multiplication by juxtaposition issue.

Once you add 9 and 3 (very first step to simplify this problem), there is no distribution. So no, it isn't a distributive property problem. If there were a variable in there I'd somewhat agree, but I'd say it would be more like 48/2=24, 24(9x+3y), leaving 216x+72y.

The problem isn't an order of operations one, it's a distributive property or multiplication by juxtaposition issue.

My reasoning behind posting that was because a lot of people are arguing that because of PEMDAS, it is multiplied and then divided which is not the case. That is what people can't get through their head that PEMDAS is the same as PEDMSA

My reasoning behind posting that was because a lot of people are arguing that because of PEMDAS, it is multiplied and then divided which is not the case. That is what people can't get through their head that PEMDAS is the same as PEDMSA

Ah gotcha.