Ohio Senate Passes CCW Bill to Allow Carry in Restarunts and Bars that Serve Alcohol

BiggO

if youre carrying in the bar youre not allowed to drink

people who drink anyways and ignore that rule, probably dont care about being allowed to carry there or not since theyre already breaking the law

gun laws only apply to the people following them.

+1

If you don't drink and you're in a bar, you're a retard IMO. :lol:

+1 :lol:

Not law yet. Both only passed a Senate vote, and return to House for hearings.

But I don't think there will be any problem with their passage.

According to the House Speaker the vote is very very close. That is why he has not brought it to the floor yet. Everyone needs to contact their State House Rep and tell them to support this. In my opinion there are two key things to point out when you call. Many many states allow this already and it isn't a problem and two.....the business owner can still decide they don't want to allow this and post the gun buster sign.

i will not support this unless they allow concealed carry ninja swords as well. ninji are people too, and have the fundamental right to protect themselves from gun toting drunks.

but no one talks about the restoration of rights?

Cuz we weren't criminals in our past so it doesn't affect us? Or, we are more worried about being able to get a cold beer after we shoot the zombies? Those are the only guesses I got.:D

I still haven't seen any verbiage specifying the intention to allow concealed carry in a bar...Only restaurants that serve alcohol. Technically two different animals with two different purposes.

Of course, we can see from the sheer carnage that happens in every Applebees and Olive Garden in the 42 U.S. States that already allow it, that it is a horrible idea.

Restoration of what right?

The Fed's ban you from owning a gun if you are guilty of certain crimes unless you apply for and are granted relief by the State that convicted you. There is a problem with the way Ohio cleans up these offenses. So the Feds do not recognize the relief. This legislation is designed to clear up that problem. This relates to minor drug offenses.

I still haven't seen any verbiage specifying the intention to allow concealed carry in a bar...Only restaurants that serve alcohol. Technically two different animals with two different purposes.

Of course, we can see from the sheer carnage that happens in every Applebees and Olive Garden in the 42 U.S. States that already allow it, that it is a horrible idea.

do they define the term "restaurant?" I would expect that to mean an establishment that earns greater than 50% of their revenue through the sale of food, but if it's just any establishment that sells food, or the percentage is significantly lower, many "bars" would qualify.

The Fed's ban you from owning a gun if you are guilty of certain crimes unless you apply for and are granted relief by the State that convicted you. There is a problem with the way Ohio cleans up these offenses. So the Feds do not recognize the relief. This legislation is designed to clear up that problem. This relates to minor drug offenses.

That one I can see. I must have skimmed over something and missed it then. I assumed (wrongly it seems) the comment was about carrying in establishments that serve alcohol.

do they define the term "restaurant?" I would expect that to mean an establishment that earns greater than 50% of their revenue through the sale of food, but if it's just any establishment that sells food, or the percentage is significantly lower, many "bars" would qualify.

The current law says you can't carry in an establishment that has a Class D license. That is what you have if you serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. It is the same Class D for a restaurant or a bar. This legislation removes the restriction on Class D. So while it does not specifically mention bars, you will be able to carry in a bar.

The 50 percent thing is used in a few states, and it is confusing as hell. So you are standing outside a restaurant...how the heck are you supposed to know if they are 50 percent food or not. Do you demand to see their financial statements before you go in?

I must have skimmed over something and missed it then..

Two separate bills. One for the resturaunt carry and one to fix the disability to own a handgun issue. In the house they are HB 45 and HB 54. And in the Senate they are SB 17 and SB 61.

I would expect that something along those lines would have to be established, if not already done. I seem to recall a similar distinction during one of the earlier versions of the smoking ban.

If not, you'd have to ask yourself before going in: "Am I here to drink and chase tail, or have a mediocre burger and a coke?"

Edited by Coyote

The current law says you can't carry in an establishment that has a Class D license. That is what you have if you serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. It is the same Class D for a restaurant or a bar. This legislation removes the restriction on Class D. So while it does not specifically mention bars, you will be able to carry in a bar.

The 50 percent thing is used in a few states, and it is confusing as hell. So you are standing outside a restaurant...how the heck are you supposed to know if they are 50 percent food or not. Do you demand to see their financial statements before you go in?

that makes sense. The liquor license is already well established.

the 50% threshold was proposed for "smoke free ohio" exemptions as well. I recall someone saying that establishments who collected more than 50% of their revenue from the sale of alcohol wanting to be able to file for an exemption.

to play devil's advocate though, how am I supposed to know whether or not a place has a liquor license when i'm standing in the parking lot? Chipotle used to sell beer. maybe they still do; i'm honestly not sure, but I know there was definitely a time when some of them by me did, and some didn't.

to play devil's advocate though, how am I supposed to know whether or not a place has a liquor license when i'm standing in the parking lot?

If they have a Class D permit they must post the gun buster sign. If there is no sign you have a pretty strong defense in court. I would also add that the scenario's we are discussing present a pretty good case for this current bill to pass. It needs to be simple to understand and it needs to be simple to comply with the law.