Damn Chain Lube

2talltim

This winter i put on a new RK chain and Driven sprocket kit..well i decided not to clean off the lube that came on the chain due to me being out of chain lube to replace it, so i also decided not to wash my bike till i had that lube worked in and the excess slung off. BIG MISTAKE!!!! i dont know what kind of lube that was but it took me 3 hrs of srubbing and degreasing and srubbing more and kerosene and more srubbing to get it off my wheels frame and swing arm, what a mess. Does anyone know what it may have been ? I dont want to make the mistake of putting anything like that back on, that stuff was like tree sap.

Does anyone know what it may have been ? I dont want to make the mistake of putting anything like that back on, that stuff was like tree sap.

Most chains come coated in silicone. I don't know of any chain lube that uses it and I think manufactures only do it to keep moisture off the chain so rust doesn't form while they sit on the shelf.

Yeah...that creamy white shit slings like it was shot from Peter North. The last time I replaced my chain I thought I got all of it off, and was wrong. I used Goo Gone and was cleaned up shortly, and with a pleasant citrus smell!

Yeah...that creamy white shit slings like it was shot from Peter North. The last time I replaced my chain I thought I got all of it off, and was wrong. I used Goo Gone and was cleaned up shortly, and with a pleasant citrus smell!

never thought of that stuff...oh well it's water under the bridge now

It's just silicone why would you clean it off? It will burn off as the chain heats up and until then it will serve to protect just fine.

Because that crap flings everywhere. I always clean a new chain just to keep that crap from going all over the swing arm and tail section.

Because that crap flings everywhere. I always clean a new chain just to keep that crap from going all over the swing arm and tail section.

Ah, I see. I guess I don't need to worry since I use dirt, mud and bugs to cover the stuff that flies off the chain.;)

I use Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant, i couldn't find it locally so i bought it from a site called midway auto supply. Its a really good lube when i spray it on and ride it doesn't splatter or anything.

21JNT2BD%2BKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Repost...

FYI.. Lowes and Home Depot Carry it..

Love that stuff.

++1 on the Maxima chainwax.......1st thing I do with ANY new chain ( dirt or street ) is put an inch of kerosene in a drain pan and scrub her down, hang it up and blow it out with compressed air, install on the bike and spray it lightly with Maxima, go for a short hop to warm it up and spray it again - the let it cool and I'm good for a month or so. The Maxima chainwax is the only product I've found that stays on the chain as long as you don't over-apply

Edited by Hellmutt

I just pour on some heavy gear oil (80 wt or more) as the bike sits in the driveway on the centerstand idling in 3rd gear...

it's kinda smelly and sticky, but the chain sure seems to like it, so I don't really care.

I don't worry about washing my already black wheels too often, and the inside of the chain guard collects most of the rest of the excess. (ther than what drips off into the driveway, or flings off during the first 1/2 mile of riding)