Bike over heating

04DayTri

My 2004 daytona is over heating when im riding through town because the fan is not turning on. Im not a mechanic or expert by any means so i was hoping to get some input. The bike has plenty of coolant in it so the 2 things i was thinking is either the thermometer is bad or the fan switch is bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

it could be a bad temp sensor, bad fan, or bad fan relay. i'd start by checking the relay with a multimeter, i'm not sure what readings you'd be looking for though. the fan could be tested as easily as hooking up power straight to it and see if it works. I'm not sure there is a way to check for a bad temp sensor, i'd think just replace it if both other things check out.

Thermostats and fans aren't linked. Even if the thermostat was stuck' date=' the fans would function as they should. I'd go to the simplest, most-logical source... the cooling fan motor.[/quote']

and this is why I send my shit to you :bow:

I assumed it worked similar to a car and I assumed wrongly

Find someone close to you with tune .ecu. it should be able tobfind your problem rather easily unless you have that extra cylinder. If not I have it and can mail you the connector just need of mailed back.

It's a free program you can find of a triumph rat .

Sorry for bad typing. On my phone.

Pm with any questions.

Ok, Second thing to confirm is voltage at fan. You may have to remove plastics to get to it. Its directly behind radiator.With bike parked and at idle put your volt meter across leads at switch it should close at 180 to 190 I don't remember exactly because I lowered my set points, And I just noticed yours looks to be a 600 but the trouble shooting techniques will be the same. Also before you do that verify that the fan blades have not melted or warped from heat, This could cause fan to seize and cause the prob. you describe.Did you check fuse with meter or visually?Fuses can "look good" but actually be blown.

1. fuse? you said was good..

2. power to fuse?

3. power to fan relay?

4. power to fan?(will require bike to be at temp the fan comes on at normally)

confirm fan works by hooking it up to the battery. of course you could do this first too.

does the daytona have a built in diagnostic feature like yamaha's do? we can test all of our electronics via the instrument cluster. so I don't even need to work on anything to test the whole system. it's frigging sweet!

I can activate the fan, the relay, test the temp sending sensor etc.

hell I can even test the injectors and ignition coils.

everyone's bike and car for that matter should be made to have this by law. it makes working on my bike a breeze.

Edited by serpentracer