Looking for a second bike in the stable

OhioBob

Hi, I am looking at getting a second bike, currently, I have a VTX1300C, which is a great bike, but am looking for something that I can do short trips with or for lack of a better term "bar hop" with. So, I started thinking of the nekkid (standards)bikes that have always caught my eye. Not sure how to explain it, I just like the look, the ride ergos, etc. Just something about them.

So, the specs I was thinking about for a second bike was this:

Engine: 50-60 or more torque / 120-140hp / good mid range / 150mph top or better

Brakes: radial brakes (dual fronts)

Suspension: inverted front forks

Chasis: no more than 500lbs and better if it is 450lbs or lighter / good ergos (comfy)

With these specs, first comes to mind is the 2008 CBR1000RR with handlebar risers and Renthal bars or Pro Taper bars. The second comes to mind is the GSXR-750, but not sure what year is decent. Of course these are full out sportbikes, but was wondering if there is anything out there that compares for the street. I mean, can't take full advantage of the sportbike, especially literbikes power range unless on the track.

So, what bikes do you recommend that would fit these specs for the street?

Thanks in advance.

OhioBob

I mean shit reading your post now a blackbird might work for you, mine is really comfortable and you can get a nice set of bars which make it even more so. Your never short of power. And its a cheap bike if you find the right now.

I mean shit reading your post now .

are you saying you didn't read the post before you posted the first time?

I'm guessing you saw bar hop & stopped there. hoping to stir up more shit.

Sounds like a Honda 919 might suit you. I've always liked those. Maybe a little less power than you're looking for though...

:plus1:

The criteria naked and must go 150 mph sounds like an SV1000 also. Put some aftermarket exhausts on the SV1000 and you have the perfect "bar hopper."

Edited by alienpi

I have always liked the look of the 919, but wish they had inverted forks with radial brakes and a better swing arm, like the CBR. Not to mention the detuned motor of the CBR900RR. But really if there was a way to upgrade these little flaws/annoyances than I would be all for it.

Although, I have always been intrigued by the SV1000S, just can't find any to test ride around here.

Speed Triple is awesome, but can't find any used for a decent price.

I guess I am looking for a lighter bike that is more fun to flick around in the corners and twisties on a nice day than my VTX1300C, but can get out of the corners and off the line quick like my VTX.

How about the Honda VFR800? I have heard good things about it, but not sure if it has the umph.

LOVE mine. Has plenty of oomph but don't mistake it for a typical sportbike. I came to mine from a 600RR and although the 600rr was much faster, I don't really have much if anything negative to say about my VFR

You're limiting yourself with unnecessary engine/power requirements. I guarantee that an SV650 will pull out of a corner and accelerate faster than your VTX. Ground clearance alone gives it the upper hand of being able to enter the corner at a higher speed' date=' allowing the bike to already enter the corner faster than your VTX. This characteristic, coupled with a light chassis and excellent ergos, makes a sport bike with 70 hp a better 'twisty road' bike than your current ride.[/quote']

I really liked my SV650 Naked, and if I could find an SV1000 Naked for the right price when I had disposable income, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind having another SV650 to share space with my Sportster in the garage. The fact is, for 95% of the riders out there, the SV650 is a far more capable machine than the rider on its back is able to realize. At least on the street anyway...

Ohiobob... have ou ever ridden a sportbike before.. because it doesn't sound like it. as far as test rides go those are few and far between.. id stick with a older speed triple 955i. torquey and great riding position.

I think you will be hard pressed to get a naked sportbike to do 150. Even if it can do it, the wind gets so bad the bike starts to shake. I also doubt you would like the seating position of the sportbikes and you may not be able to put riser bars on it pending the windscreen.

I am not planning on going 150mph, but I would like the hp that could. Yes, I know that without full fairings it is going to be nearly impossible to enjoy that speed. That is why I have really been thinking about a 2008 CBR1000RR and get the handlebar riser triple tree kit with handlebars and mod windscreen. Presto, instant awesome super standard bike.

But I was just curious to what other factory standard bikes are out there that could compete with my idea. I am pretty lazy and would rather not, but if I must than so be it.

Thanks again.

You're limiting yourself with unnecessary engine/power requirements. I guarantee that an SV650 will pull out of a corner and accelerate faster than your VTX. Ground clearance alone gives it the upper hand of being able to enter the corner at a higher speed' date=' allowing the bike to already enter the corner faster than your VTX. This characteristic, coupled with a light chassis and excellent ergos, makes a sport bike with 70 hp a better 'twisty road' bike than your current ride.[/quote']

Truth. Any sportbike or naked is going to be much quicker in/out of corners and from a stop.

Any 600cc would leave a VTX for dead in a straight line.