Few pics from this weekends riding adventures

thirdgenlxi

Had a nice little pre-world ending rapture ride this weekend, lol.... But being that I was gonna be gone the entire weekend, I did have to have a little fun with the neighbors, so I left these out in the driveway before I left

fed1680a.jpg

Made my way up to Knoxville, TN sat morning to pick up my new lid

48c6e3b5.jpg

Then had to head down to Franklin, NC to go to a bike meet with the Honda VFR guys that I go to every year. I made my way through the Great Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park in Tennessee, watching the clock to be mindful of the soon to be imploding earth (I do hope everybody knows I'm joking and being utterly sarcastic here, lol). I pulled over to take a little break at 5 mins to 6:00

a77dde07.jpg

Then... 6:00 PM, the time when the earth was supposed to be shaking, fireballs falling from the sky, and Richard Simmons videos playing non-stop on every TV worldwide for the next 153 days. But instead it was dead silent except for this relaxing rustling stream and some annoying little bugs that insisted on flying in my ears

ed070044.jpg

Since the world didn't blow up, I continued on my way with my faithful companion and made my way down to Franklin for the VFR meet. Had a great time there, then headed out this morning and decided to take the nice relaxing scenic route back home on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I must admit, I do have that special talent of turning a less than 3 hr ride into..... about 9 hours, hahah (left at 10, got home at 7). Anyways... pretty much anywhere along here is a nice view, so I snapped some pics along the way. It was near 90 deg at the lower elevations, but it's always nice and cool on the BRP and was around 65-70 deg up there today. BEAUTIFUL!!

fe71f2b5.jpg

8d54530c.jpg

This looked like a good spot to stop and take a lil break

6211d9f3.jpg

There was a hiking trail so I had to check it out

3d2ded12.jpg

It was a little rocky going up

5f54d9cf.jpg

But the view wasn't bad

06301487.jpg

Then moving on.... highest part of the BRP, and yours truly (a HD dude near by offered to take my pic, lol). And I swear I'm not a crackhead... I don't know why there's veins popping out of my head

449de8ea.jpg

bb7bc61d.jpg

d6753e6b.jpg

In this pic, take note of that rock all the way up at the top towards the left-center, next to the tops of the trees

196d270e.jpg

Well that's where I am here.... there was another badass little hiking trail, took about 20 mins to get up, but the view was incredible! I think I can see my bike down there, haha

2acf8a68.jpg

DEFINITELY coming back here for a sunset picture!!

4e4085a2.jpg

78251061.jpg

81e5042d.jpg

9eacbb37.jpg

14778b14.jpg

My ugly mug yet again, lol

54fa75d4.jpg

Ol' Faithful... and my poor cargo net really hating life

83153f12.jpg

2a313efd.jpg

59487625.jpg

BRP visitors center out by Mt. Mitchell, which is the highest point east of the Mississippi

be403ad0.jpg

a5221e08.jpg

e159ac2c.jpg

Then some dark clouds started rolling in quick!

6c09dcb5.jpg

And right in the direction I was headed too..... doh

ee0b8b6d.jpg

And so much for beating the rain, lol..... got to NC 80 and it was raining pretty good, then headed down NC 80, which is a very tight and very steep road with downhill switchbacks and all that fun stuff... and wet leaves all over the road too. So that was fun, lol. Got to the bottom of the mountain where it straightens out some and it was bright, sunny, and dry as could be... go figure

210a7453.jpg

That's all the pics.... sorry picture quality isn't that great, took them all with my phone. I really need to get a DSLR camera for up here, haha

Garrrr! You make me jealous.

We're going to be in your area June 9-13th... care to have a ride with us?

Hell yea I'm always down for a meet up! I should be free that weekend 11-12th, I think it was. What part you guys headed to, Deals Gap or somewhere else?? I'd be happy to show you guys around to some of the local stuff if you'd like ;)

Hell yea I'm always down for a meet up! I should be free that weekend 11-12th, I think it was. What part you guys headed to, Deals Gap or somewhere else?? I'd be happy to show you guys around to some of the local stuff if you'd like ;)

That would be amazing! I too am going and were staying in Robbinsville, NC. Thats pretty much all I know though

As Bad said... we know we're staying in Robinsville... beyond that everything's kind of "up for grabs"... it's the DTC anniversary ride. Dragon and Cherahola for sure, beyond that I'm sure you could convince the gang :D

http://www.dtc4lyfe.com/deals-gap-dtc-5th-anniversary-40th-bday-extravaganza-t414.html

Where ya staying at. I have been to the microtel, the san ran motel, and the phillips motel in robs ville. microtel was the newest but least fun. the san ran is very cool to hangout at, the phillips was ok also.

We're totally threadjacking thirdgen's thread :D

The Dragon's Rest cabins (http://www.dragonsrestcabins.com/), Fonzie and some of the other folks are staying at the Philips.

Cool deal guys yea I don't mind, although I'm not as familiar with all the little backroads around the deals gap area as I am the ones around here. Alot of us locals actually don't go to Deals Gap that often cuz there's alot of other local roads that we think are better than the Dragon, much less crowded and no popo to be found. There's one I just went up the other day (NC 151) that makes Deals Gap look like kiddy stuff, hahaha... it's just not as long though, but very tight and very steep! There's another one over by my old house that's a 15% grade and nothing but switchbacks the entire way.... non stop. I don't know if you guys would be interested in doing a little side trip or not, but if you wanted to spend 2 days or so exploring away from Deals Gap, I'd be happy to lead you out this way on all the little backroads, have some fun around here, and you guys are welcome to crash at my place for the night... I've got plenty of space, then head back the next day on some different roads. If you guys like swimming (and/or waterfalls) there's an awesome little swimming hole not far from me that's in a waterfall. Tons and tons of awesome roads off the BRP too (pretty much all of them, lol). It's totally up to you guys though, it's your trip after all so I don't want to go trying to change anything around, just throwing the idea out there. But let me know and we'll figure something out

If it's a go, if anybody wants to shoot me their contact info I'll give mine as well, that way we can get in touch with each other and get something set up

If it's a go, if anybody wants to shoot me their contact info I'll give mine as well, that way we can get in touch with each other and get something set up

I'm gonna tell Fonzie to contact you... he's the leader on this crazy endeavor :D He's also the head sheep-fucker.

I'm gonna tell Fonzie to contact you... he's the leader on this crazy endeavor :D He's also the head sheep-fucker.

We're goin' down Thurs, ridin' Fri & Sat, & headin' home Sunday. Sam's been down there several times, but the rest of us are virgins ;)

My 3 non-negotiables are the Tail, Cherahola, & Hellbender. I think we're talking about doin' the Tail first thing Friday morning to try & beat some of the weekend logjam. Playin' the rest by ear at this point, depending on how those 3 play out

Even if you can't meat up with us to ride... Plan on headin' over for some celebratory libations Saturday night :D

Cool deal guys yea I don't mind, although I'm not as familiar with all the little backroads around the deals gap area as I am the ones around here. Alot of us locals actually don't go to Deals Gap that often cuz there's alot of other local roads that we think are better than the Dragon, much less crowded and no popo to be found. There's one I just went up the other day (NC 151) that makes Deals Gap look like kiddy stuff, hahaha... it's just not as long though, but very tight and very steep! There's another one over by my old house that's a 15% grade and nothing but switchbacks the entire way.... non stop. I don't know if you guys would be interested in doing a little side trip or not, but if you wanted to spend 2 days or so exploring away from Deals Gap, I'd be happy to lead you out this way on all the little backroads, have some fun around here, and you guys are welcome to crash at my place for the night... I've got plenty of space, then head back the next day on some different roads. If you guys like swimming (and/or waterfalls) there's an awesome little swimming hole not far from me that's in a waterfall. Tons and tons of awesome roads off the BRP too (pretty much all of them, lol). It's totally up to you guys though, it's your trip after all so I don't want to go trying to change anything around, just throwing the idea out there. But let me know and we'll figure something out

NC 151 is an awesome ride, it is short though.

The section of 197, heading toward Bernardsville, just before it turns to gravel, is just amazing, watch out for the little dog that chases you on the first switchback though.

Riding around Asheville is unbelievable, so many great routes to ride, not much more to say.

You guys should really consider this offer, you will not regret it!!!

I am trying to get back to Asheville sometime in June or July.

Edited by LINK

I just looked up 151 on Google maps... holy shit that's a ridiculous road!

Type in Pensacola, NC and follow 197 (North Fork Road), trust me the map does not do it justice.