article in washington post about "squids" lol

serpentracer

I was talking to a friend at work that's new to riding that's been down once before at low speed (last year his first year riding). He had some minor road rash from a slow lay down. He said he was glad his year being required to wear a helmet was up he's tired of wearing one. I asked why and the answer was "I don't know it isn't cool". I then told him I prefer to wear full gear my lay down last year has me sold on it. He said well I went down an it wasn't that bad. I reminded him that he was slowing down and stopping for a red light when HE wiped out. I pointed out that he may not have time to slow down before crashing. He kinda shrugged it off. Then I asked him to run full speed and dive head first in the grass. He said no. I asked why he was willing to risk sliding on concrete 10 times faster but won't do it on grass. He stated you have a point.

:nono: @ your work buddy. Just wow.

The only gear I'm sporting on that ride is a Trojan' date=' a pistol and some weed.[/quote']

:lol: Oh yeah!

I don't even think my son should be forced to wear a helmet when he rides his bicycle.

There's a law on this? What is it?

There's a law on this? What is it?

No state law except for motorized bicycle (under 18).

Typical city code (Columbus Municipal Code):

2173.02 - Rules for bicycles, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and children's non-motorized vehicles.

(B)

(1)

No person under the age of eighteen (18) shall operate a bicycle or children's non-motorized vehicle within the City without wearing a protective helmet on the person's head, with the chin strap fastened under the person's chin. Such helmet shall be fitted to the size of the operator's head and shall meet or exceed the standards set forth by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

No person the age of one (1) or older but under the age of eighteen (18) shall ride as a passenger on a bicycle or non-motorized vehicle equipped with a firmly attached passenger seat or astride a regular seat on a tandem bicycle, within the City without wearing a protective helmet on the person's head, with the chin strap fastened under the person's chin. Such helmet shall be fitted to the size of the operator's head and shall meet or exceed the standards set forth by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Failure to wear a protective helmet as required in this division shall not be considered to be comparative or contributory negligence on the part of the parent, guardian, custodian, person having custody or control, or person in loco parentis of a child nor on the part of the child nor shall such failure be admissible in any civil action.

(2)

No person, who is the parent, guardian, custodian, person having custody or control, or person in loco parentis of a child under eighteen (18) years of age shall authorize or knowingly permit such child to violate any provision of this division.

Edited by ReconRat

No state law except for motorized bicycle (under 18).

Typical city code (Columbus Municipal Code):

2173.02 - Rules for bicycles, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and children's non-motorized vehicles.

(B)

(1)

No person under the age of eighteen (18) shall operate a bicycle or children's non-motorized vehicle within the City without wearing a protective helmet on the person's head, with the chin strap fastened under the person's chin. Such helmet shall be fitted to the size of the operator's head and shall meet or exceed the standards set forth by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

No person the age of one (1) or older but under the age of eighteen (18) shall ride as a passenger on a bicycle or non-motorized vehicle equipped with a firmly attached passenger seat or astride a regular seat on a tandem bicycle, within the City without wearing a protective helmet on the person's head, with the chin strap fastened under the person's chin. Such helmet shall be fitted to the size of the operator's head and shall meet or exceed the standards set forth by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Failure to wear a protective helmet as required in this division shall not be considered to be comparative or contributory negligence on the part of the parent, guardian, custodian, person having custody or control, or person in loco parentis of a child nor on the part of the child nor shall such failure be admissible in any civil action.

(2)

No person, who is the parent, guardian, custodian, person having custody or control, or person in loco parentis of a child under eighteen (18) years of age shall authorize or knowingly permit such child to violate any provision of this division.

Wow! I don't know anyone that wore a helmet when riding a bicycle. If the kid is learning...sure...but I'm not for them when they're just having fun on their BMX riding around their neighborhood. I use to ride wheelies, ride no handed, ride crazy trails, jump shit all with no helmet. Oh boy...they have made little boys girls these days with the girly bicycle helmet I guess. Thanks law making nerds!

Wow! I don't know anyone that wore a helmet when riding a bicycle. If the kid is learning...sure...but I'm not for them when they're just having fun on their BMX riding around their neighborhood. I use to ride wheelies, ride no handed, ride crazy trails, jump shit all with no helmet. Oh boy...they have made little boys girls these days I guess. Thanks law making nerds!

Yeah, you won't see me wearing a dork helmet on a bicycle.

I might rock my old Buco, but only if racing that bicycle at insane speeds.

Yeah, you won't see me wearing a dork helmet on a bicycle.

I might rock my old Buco, but only if racing that bicycle at insane speeds.

Yeah, racing type speeds I can see, but a regular 20" neighborhood riding/city kid I'm all against. We are all going to live in a bubble someday. :lol: