Anyone have a line on R/Rs for Hondas and quick like?

RVTPilot

Hey gang. Got a nasty suspicion my R/R on the 51 is going, going... I have to do some diagnostics when I get home, but having helped a friend thru this before, I think this is where I am gonna end up. Shitty thing is, I have a charity ride scheduled for Sunday that I really don't want to miss. So if anyone has any lines on getting one sometime tomorrow if necessary, I'd love to be pointed that direction.

Cheers, mates!

RVT

I got an aftermarket R/R from Cycle Search in Delaware..... Not sure how far that is from you tho.

Well considering we have moved to Columbus and changed our name, you may not want to go there. We can get one for you, but it would have to be ordered and would be $144.11 with tax. I even checked Iron Pony's site to see if they might have had one in stock for you and did not see it there. Give us a call and we can get it on order for you.

All R/Rs have the same basic 5 wires...Hot, Ground, and the 3 yellows...one for each of the 3 phases on the stator.

People putting Yam R/Rs on a Honda, prolly means that are upgrading from an el cheapo shunt R/R to a heftier MOSFET type. Lot's of newer bikes use MOSFETs.

Connectors most likely aren't the same, so you need to cut the connectors off the old R/R and solder them on the new one.

Well considering we have moved to Columbus and changed our name, you may not want to go there. We can get one for you, but it would have to be ordered and would be $144.11 with tax. I even checked Iron Pony's site to see if they might have had one in stock for you and did not see it there. Give us a call and we can get it on order for you.

Damn guess I'm behind the times. :lol: glad you are closer tho.

why do you think its the R/R?

It's symptoms are eerily simialr to ones that I was helping troubleshoot before with a friend who has a superhawk. The battery is holding plenty of charge, but it's the system is not making enough juice to get the engine going completely. I have the complete t/s chart to go through when I get home. (Just didn't have the time last night.) There is the outside chance that it's the stator, too. The battery is a gel cell that is 10 months old. I'd like to think that's not the culprit. (Then again, that would be the easiest to replace.)

Thanks for all the contributions guys. I will post up more of the exact needs once I can get home and work the whole mess. you guys rock!

I have a MOSFET R/R from an '06 CBR1000RR. I'd Imagine it's a heftier R/R that the one from the RC51.

Should mine be toast, I will shoot you a PM. You are pretty much in the back yard. :bow:

It might not be the stator either -- this may sound dumb, but check the wires from the stator to the R/R... I remember frying one of the three yellow legs out of the stator and it leaving me stranded in Norwalk. I was able to make it to the track, run the race, and make it 1/3 of the way home before the battery just couldn't do it anymore.

The bike doesn't really charge very well on 2/3s the power it's expecting. :)

i think there is a place called Rick's electric or something like that. they are well known in the aprilia community (and apparently, others) for fixing shitty electricals on big V-Twin bikes.

I'd try the mosfet units though.

Sounds like you might have issue more than R/R, but I hope this help you.

I have '98 superhawk and R/R failiure is well known issue of the bike.

I replace Honda OEM one to Yamaha R1 OEM R/R.

See attached.

http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/

I think that late model Superhawk got improved one, but I recommend to upgrade to R1 OEM R/R if your RC51 got smiliar Honda R/R without fins.

First off, much love an' respect to all the folks that chimed in here. I appreciate it. At work I started thinking about what Jeff said, so when I got home from the office I pulled the FI codes. 8 blinks = throttle pos sensor. Fack. So tore the top half of the bike off, read the wires through the sensor to the ECU and the circuit was fine but was still popping the code. Finally got it to fire off by twisting the wick while thumbing the starter and then it died, dash and all. Double fack. Ticking the wires and found a short in a ground wire back towards the ECU and (knock on wood) it's running tight and tidy now. So methinks it was a combination of the ground short and a sticky TPS. So I am going to take it out in the AM and romp on it and see what we get. I did manage to entertain the kids, though, with the flames out of the Leo Vince's since the TBs loaded up with fuel.

Again, thanks to for the help here, gang!

Sounds like you might have issue more than R/R, but I hope this help you.

I have '98 superhawk and R/R failiure is well known issue of the bike.

I replace Honda OEM one to Yamaha R1 OEM R/R.

See attached.

http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/

I think that late model Superhawk got improved one, but I recommend to upgrade to R1 OEM R/R if your RC51 got smiliar Honda R/R without fins.

A close bud has a '99 SH and has had two r/r failures, one on the OEM, one on a replacement aftermarket once from Electrosport. ES replaced his bad one for free, and I think he's still running that one. However I will get him hip to the Yamaha mod. Cheers!