Springfield XDM .40

Helmutt

and that .357 grip is considerably bigger than our .38sp and we've got xtended police grip on it.

It's the crimson trace laser grip with the extended bottom. Model LG-305, I can get about half my pinky on the bottom but it wouldn't have helped the picture if I gripped it that way.

Thanx for the visuals vf1 and chevy, surely helps give me more insight on what I need to look for......The S&W M&P looks like another possibility from a respectable mfg

I liked my XD .40. Wasn't the "M", but it shot well. You could also buy my Glock. :D

Checked out the Glock you have for sale, looks like a great deal but I want to eliminate other possibilities too - I dont want to start a small collection or have to trade up shortly after buying, so I'm taking my time to find MY gun if that makes sense. There's several things to consider other than fit/feel, but are easiest to compare first since it's not costing me ammo or range time.

I really can't totally articulate why, but the .40 isn't my favorite round. Personally, I like the feel of the .45 and the cost of shooting the 9mm. The Glock is my 2nd .40 (XD was the other) and both were flawless in their function and extremely accurate .... but there's something about that recoil that bugs me. It's not bone-shattering, or overly-loud, but different. If you're convinced a 9mm isn't going to do it for you, shoot a .45. An XDM .45 can be had new for $550 and is the only handgun reviewed in my collection of over 15 years of Gun Tests magazine that shot sub-one inch groups with all ammo tested.

I really can't totally articulate why, but the .40 isn't my favorite round.

From everything I've read, and the little bit I have experienced, the .40 tends to flip the muzzle upward, where the .45 tends to push back. Does that sound about right?

I find the .40 to be a nice in between round, when comparing 9 and .45 in price and performance. If you reload, I guess price is a whole different story.

i prefer 40....get a good quality .40 and the recoil isnt too bad...mine shoots like a 9mm and mines a subcompact .40...nice and smooth....it does flip the muzzle some, but not enough to throw off follow up shots

i prefer the ballistics of the 40 over the 45 and the 9mm.... i dont believe that its all about weight....im actually really interested in the ballistics of the 140gr Barnes TAC-XP.... 1240fps, .83" expansion, and 13.75" penetration, talk about a hot round!

45 would be my next choice though....the TAC-XP 160gr in 45 shoots at 1200fps with .82" expansion from a 5" barrrel...but you can get the same results with a 4" barrel in .40 as a 5" barrel in .45....more energy because its a heavier bullet, so its probably personal preference which one a person likes more....i prefer the .40, seems like the same amount of firepower in a smaller package, and allows for more capacity in the magazine

**this post is mainly directed to jporter "I find the .40 to be a nice in between round, when comparing 9 and .45 in price and performance".....on price, sure....but on performance, i dont feel the .40 is lacking anything against the 45

Edited by Steve Butters

I agree on ballistic performance after the bullet leaves the barrel, but I like the way .45 shoots just a tiny bit better. I have a .40 though.

/hijack

gotcha, guess i misunderstood what ya meant the first time lol.... .40 seems to be a bit snappier than 45, doesnt bother me too much though...i figure you can get used to any gun if you shoot it enough...my next handgun will be a 45, ide like to have both

Almost 14 inches will exit most bodies and then what? Hope it does not hit an innocent behind the bad guy?

ballistics numbers are done in gel...it wont penetrate that far after eating through layers of clothing or hitting solid bones.

the gel numbers are just for comparison sake between rounds, not to be compared with human targets (too many variables, clothing, weight, etc)....just read that gel is comparable to 110% of a human target, unprotected....so if it says it penetrates 11" in gel, it would penetrate 10" against a naked human. ....thats why the FBI testing protocol requires 12" penetration for an ammo to pass, and it says that 18 inches is preferred...although im not sure what round penetrates 18" other than maybe some type of 45

not to say it is guaranteed it wont pass through, but with how the solid copper hollow points pedal out, i would say an exit wound is unlikely, and if it did exit, i would guess its not going to harm anybody else

the only rounds i would be worried about passing through and harming innocents would be FMJ loads, in most cases

Edited by Steve Butters

40-SW-Double-Tap-140-gr.-Barnes-TAC-XP-354x200.jpg

heres a video showing the 45 round...ending shows how it pedals too...it shot through 2 jugs of water and stopped in the third jug... human body will be a bit tougher than the jugs, especially if a shot hits a bone....i guess if the shot was placed just right it could pass through if it didnt hit anything with too much resistance, but by the time it came out it would almost worthless ...and 45 usually penetrates more than a 40 will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fWUywXaFO8

the only rounds i would be worried about passing through and harming innocents would be FMJ loads, in most cases

Which is why you DO NOT use FMJ in a firearm for defensive purposes. You uses a hollow point. Unless you carry a .22 then I'd go with a FMJ.

Nah, vf1000 has the 1911 - we only have a .38sp for home protection currently - but I'll def chk out the P2000 and USP40 too, thanx!

i handled a USP 40 at buckeye this weekend....if youre looking for a large gun, it definitely fits the bill...i wear XL-2XL gloves and it felt borderline too big for my hands....then again, maybe im weird because my subcompact .40 feels absolutely perfect lol....only gun ive held that feels nicer is a 5" 1911, but theyre real thin to help make up for the size

I love my XDM 40 I had an XDM 9 but went to 40. I previously had a 4" XD that shot well. Really I don't notice much difference between the regular and the "M" It shoots slightly smaller groups, bigger capacity, and I like the serrations on the back of the slide better.

i handled a USP 40 at buckeye this weekend....if youre looking for a large gun, it definitely fits the bill...i wear XL-2XL gloves and it felt borderline too big for my hands....then again, maybe im weird because my subcompact .40 feels absolutely perfect lol....only gun ive held that feels nicer is a 5" 1911, but theyre real thin to help make up for the size

I've noticed how much thinner they are, and dont think thats what I'm after - newer M seems good with the extra width and good fit lengthwise - never held a standard XD but will look at those in comparison as well. The extra capacity intrigued too me since it's just good use of the extra grip length/width

I love my XDM 40 I had an XDM 9 but went to 40. I previously had a 4" XD that shot well. Really I don't notice much difference between the regular and the "M" It shoots slightly smaller groups, bigger capacity, and I like the serrations on the back of the slide better.

I cant wait to try several of these out but just comparing a bunch online, my opinion is still XDM biased - its a good looking weapon too!