What's the going rate up there?

NinjaN8

So I just had some work done to my 2008 Ninja 650. I was wondering how much it would cost up that way in the great white north.

Oil Change - Full Synthetic

Air Filter - Replaced (Provided by me)

Spark plugs replaced

New brake lines installed (provided by me)

chain adjusted

Rear Tire replaced

And the most expensive part of the job:

Valves checked and adjusted. They had to get some shims...

Anyways I don't know if this enough info but, I was just wondering how much something like this would go for up there.

The shop I took it to has been, up until this point, reliable. They've had the bike for over a week now though! They told me 2 days at the most!

What kind of repair facility doesn't keep a full range of 7.48 valve shims? I keep all sizes of 7.48 & 9.48 (plus a few Ducati shims) and I'm not a repair shop. For everything you listed it would take me 6 hours + or - 1 hour. Better yet do all that suff yourself so you know it's done correctly, the info is out there you just got to search for it. They should not charge you to adjust your chain, that would go along with R/R the rear tire.

Here is a nice guide to do your own valve adjustment.

http://www.ninja650r.co.cc/Pdf/Valve%20Adj.pdf

Id take it to Hoblick up here. He did my chain and sprockets/bred brakes/changed both tires for a great price. But it will prolly be expensive. I got killed the one time I took a bike to a dealer. Similar experience where they had the bike for over a month.

he might rape other parts of you though, don't worry he is a stand up guy so expect a reach around

LOL!

Well, yeah I definitely got raped down here! $1200 (with Military discount). They did some other shit too but DAMN!!!

If I was mechanically inclined and had the proper tools, know-how and time, I definitely would have done that stuff on my own...

I think when I get out of the Coast Guard I'm going to MMI or some similar school...

I don't think you got 'raped' per se, you just learned how expensive not being able to do your own maintenance can be. Also, some of your purchases were big-ticket items like the tire and oil-change materials and those would have cost about the same doing it at home.