father's day

jbot

the primary purpose of this thread is for a PSA: June 19th is Father's Day. Better make sure you get something for your old man.

the secondary reason for this thread (ie, ulterior motive): what are you getting your dad for Father's Day? My family has foolishly entrusted me with the task of getting him something for Father's Day. Usually, we get him a gift card to Golf Galaxy... but 3 (or 4) full sets of clubs, drivers, etc later after many years of amassing gift cards, I'm pretty sure there is nothing in that store he hasn't bought 2-3 times over.

The present budget this year is $400 max. They really want to spend less than $350, but I'll just shell out the extra whatever if necessary.

I've been going back and forth between the following:

Mont Blanc fountain pen (I'm pretty sure I can pull off a grey market 149)

iPad (whatever the cheapest one is, if I could find one)

iPhone (his plan is up, and iphone5 was not mentioned at ghey fest 2011)

Some beat up POS scooter I can buy for $400 since he thought my scooter was uber boss

Some semi-fancy watch that will tide him over til we get him something really nice. Maybe a grey market Tag Heuer.

Fancy ass radar detector

...another gift card to golf galaxy

give me some idears, or just share what you're getting your dad.

(speaking as a son) Anything that he always did for you/took you to when you were a kid that you guys haven't done for a couple of years?

Example:

Pop always took me to the State Fair, specifically to watch the tractor pulls, back in the late 70's/early 80's when the fair had a Grand National Pull (think MotoGP of tractor pulling).

The fair hasn't had tractor pulling for a long time, and me and Pop hadn't been to the fair together for at least 20 years.

Moved up to Delaware County in '04, saw that the Delaware County Fair was a 'big thing' in DelCo, and saw that they had a tractor pull.

Called Pop, asked, said he'd like to go. He had a great time seeing all the tractors, correcting the announcers about water injection on diesel engines, the noise, etc.

That was in September, he passed the following August, about a month before we would have gone again.

I always have a bittersweet smile when I see DelCo Fair time coming up; I know me and my Pop got to go to one last tractor pull together, and he had a enjoyable evening.

(as a father): I think I'd rather get something from each child individually as opposed to something 'from the gang', unless you kids were pooling lots of money to send me on a cruise or some such thing like that.

Just my $0.022 worth.

(speaking as a son) Anything that he always did for you/took you to when you were a kid that you guys haven't done for a couple of years?

Example:

Pop always took me to the State Fair, specifically to watch the tractor pulls, back in the late 70's/early 80's when the fair had a Grand National Pull (think MotoGP of tractor pulling).

The fair hasn't had tractor pulling for a long time, and me and Pop hadn't been to the fair together for at least 20 years.

Moved up to Delaware County in '04, saw that the Delaware County Fair was a 'big thing' in DelCo, and saw that they had a tractor pull.

Called Pop, asked, said he'd like to go. He had a great time seeing all the tractors, correcting the announcers about water injection on diesel engines, the noise, etc.

That was in September, he passed the following August, about a month before we would have gone again.

I always have a bittersweet smile when I see DelCo Fair time coming up; I know me and my Pop got to go to one last tractor pull together, and he had a enjoyable evening.

(as a father): I think I'd rather get something from each child individually as opposed to something 'from the gang', unless you kids were pooling lots of money to send me on a cruise or some such thing like that.

Just my $0.022 worth.

Awesome story. Wish I could think of stuff like that, instead of whatever latest gadget I get him.

$400 budget? Holy crap!!

Awesome story. Wish I could think of stuff like that, instead of whatever latest gadget I get him.

$400 budget? Holy crap!!

Didn't really 'think' too much about it (thinking's not normally something I'm good at) - saw it, nostalgic light bulb went on.

The cool thing - I think I spent maybe $50 (Fair admissions, tractor pull pit pass, couple of sodas and dogs).

(this will sound like a cliche') Speaking from a father's perspective, it's not about the money, it's about the thought that went into whatever is given/done.

Maybe you used to shoot bb guns in the woods - go buy a Red Rider and do it again.

Or like Field of Dreams, find/buy a couple gloves and a ball and play a game of catch. I love playing catch with Jr., hopefully he'll want to have a catch 20 years from now when he's 30 and is married with his own kid(s).

I'm a regular old fart dad and I asked my kids for fresh family portraits of them and their families for father's day. As far as gadgets go, I recently got a Kindle e-reader and like it a lot.

I'm probably just going to kick my dad in the balls.

LMAO! hilarious especially after reading jblosser's really inspirational story!!

I'm getting my dad "lawn service". He lives a couple of hours away from me and is getting older and more frail. So my sister (who lives a few hours away also) got lawn maintenance company to cut the grass for the summer and we are paying for the service.

My brothers and sister and I are signing a baseball and giving my dad "field of dreams" on DVD. I wrote "let's have a catch" on the ball before we all signed.

Total cost was under $20, and I think he'll like it a lot more than the golf stuff we usually get him

My dad is a trucker and has an old crappy iPod so im getting him a new Nano with the engraving on the back via apple and its free!! (the engraving)

as far as ideas you could get him an iPhone 4 ($200+tax with upgrade) and this for a radar detector

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5047LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2MQ&mco=MjE2OTcxMzI

(im thinking bout getting personally for my phone lol :D)

For sale or on sale? I need to upgrade my passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry on sale. its around 375 with the bonus smartcord and mount...i believe its instores and not on the website.

same price on amazon according to fatwallet with no tax if you dont need the mount and cord.