Advice on selling a bike

Scruit

Searched, didn't find. Please feel free to direct me to an existing thread...

Finally decided to bite the bullet and put my old bike on craigslist. Got some interest (and suprisingly only one scammer so far).

So someone is planning to come over the the house and look at the bike this afternoon.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make a bike sale go smootly?

Only other time I sold a vehicle privately was my old Maxima and the guy came to look at the car at the bank I was working at , so the deal was done, notarized etc at the bank.

This guy is coming over today (sunday) so there's no banks open.

My plan is this: (assuming he even shows up)

- Should I allowing a test ride? My insurance says I'm covered if he wrecks it (and my rates won't go up) or steals it. The bike also has a GPS theft tracker so if he steals it then I'll be able to direct the police to it. The theft tracker is not part of the sale, so it will be removed before the bike is delivered.

- If he offers personal check, cashier's check or money order then it has to be a local bank that I can visit in person to cash it. And I'm keeping the bike and title until I have cashed the check at the bank that the check is drawn from.

- If he pays cash the I'll be careful to make sure it's not forged. As best I can.

- I can give him a bill of sale (that says the ownership of the bike doesn't transfer until the funs have cleared) but I'll have to get the title transfer notarized on monday (or after funds clear).

- I don't want to leave my plate on it. When I sold my maxima the buyer didn't ge the title put in his name or register the car for a couple of months. Made me very nervous because I had not kept proof that I sold the car so if he wrecked then it would have been on me (as "owner" of the car) Do you guys just drive the bike with no plate? Or if he's local I could drive it to his place THEN take the plate off and get a ride home with my wife.

Anything else to worry about?

I would never let someone from craigslist come to my house but since you are have a couple buddies come over or at least make sure you are armed too many people get robbed or worse from Craigslist meetings.

I personally wouldn't allow anyone to test ride until I had cash in hand if he is financing the bike then go to the bank with him to pick up check once you know it's legit let him test ride and give the bank the title. If the guy is legit he will understand and if it was me I would be leary of someone selling a bike that wasn't overly cautious. Do not allow him to have your plate. No personal checks ever you could also have him pay you through paypal if he wants to write a check. Paypal covers you both.

I sold a ex500 to two guys from Canada a few years ago based on my description and pics they knew there was no test ride until bike was paid for in my case there was a lien so we met at my bank they paid the bank and me and the bank transferred the title then we went to a buddies house where I had taken the bike that morning.

I have someone coming to look at my bike today as well. Been wondering about a few of these questions myself. My thing is the whole signing the title over. No notary, or BMV is open today so what do you do?

I could arrange to meet him at a local church parking lot or something... If we meet at my house at least I'm covered by our CCTV which should discourage any silliness. I'd prefer to meet at some place we could get a notary service but that's not an option on a sunday.

He's an older gent says his wife will drive him over here.

Sounds like you have just about everything thought out.

With the test ride, I would allow the test ride if the buyer shows a strong interest and already has access to the funds for the purchase, with proof!

GLWS!

I have someone coming to look at my bike today as well. Been wondering about a few of these questions myself. My thing is the whole signing the title over. No notary, or BMV is open today so what do you do?

I'm going to tell him that the title MUST be notarized, and no notary is open today. If he pays cash then he can take the bike and bill of sale today, and I'll get the transfer section of the title notarized tomorrow and mail it to him. He can then have the title switched over into his name.

If he pays with a cashier's check (which he won't have have made out, so I don't expect that) then I hold the title AND THE BIKE until I go to HIS bank and convert the cashiers check into cash.

I'm going to tell him that the title MUST be notarized, and no notary is open today. If he pays cash then he can take the bike and bill of sale today, and I'll get the transfer section of the title notarized tomorrow and mail it to him. He can then have the title switched over into his name.

Where did you get a bill of sale at? I don't want to type one up. Just curious if you found something online or what.

Use your head. I've bought/sold many items on CL- I've set up meets at my house, their house, the local bank and random parking lots.

New people usually don't like to have people come to their homes, but now I don't really care.

99% of the people are legit- its the 1% that give CL a bad name.

Do whatever makes you comfortable.

Yes. There are two different areas. One for the buyer and one for the seller. As the seller u are just having it notarized saying that u are selling it. When your buyer goes to the bmv to have it changed over he will sign it in front of them and all bmv title people are notaries. There is no need for your buyer to be present when u have your part notarized.

every car dealership has a notary on hand.

Yes. There are two different areas. One for the buyer and one for the seller. As the seller u are just having it notarized saying that u are selling it. When your buyer goes to the bmv to have it changed over he will sign it in front of them and all bmv title people are notaries. There is no need for your buyer to be present when u have your part notarized.

or this. this is probably the best thing to do.

every car dealership has a notary on hand.

Would a car dealer notarize a transaction that they're not involved in? :confused:

They can charge a fee, but that fee is limited by law (and overcharging risks loss of notary status)

I'm pretty close to several car dealers. That would work out well for us.

The seller's section at the top has an Assignment of Ownership section that has a price, date, minor certification, buyer's name and buyer's address. Then there's the odometer certification. Then the bit that needs to be notarized.

THEN there is the buyer's acknowledgement of odometer section and application for title section below.

So you can get the seller's name/address/signature section notarized without assignment of ownership and odometer certification sections completed?

I understand that the buyer's acknowledgement of odometer does not need to be notarized, and the application for title comes later.

This site says the buyer's name and address must be present on the assignment of ownership before the title is notarized...

http://www.ohionotaries.org/1/documents-requiring-caution

The buyer does not need to be present for the seller to complete the Assignment section; but, the seller must have the name and address of the buyer in order to complete the section and have their signature notarized.

Would a car dealer notarize a transaction that they're not involved in? :confused:

They can charge a fee, but that fee is limited by law (and overcharging risks loss of notary status)

I'm pretty close to several car dealers. That would work out well for us.

they should not have a problem. ive done it a few times. maybe a tiny buy here pay here place may give you guff, but a larger dealer shouldnt care at all.

and yea by law they can only charge so much. I forget what it is but its low. like 2 or 3 dollars.

The seller's section at the top has an Assignment of Ownership section that has a price, date, minor certification, buyer's name and buyer's address. Then there's the odometer certification. Then the bit that needs to be notarized.

THEN there is the buyer's acknowledgement of odometer section and application for title section below.

So you can get the seller's name/address/signature section notarized without assignment of ownership and odometer certification sections completed?

I understand that the buyer's acknowledgement of odometer does not need to be notarized, and the application for title comes later.

Typically if you explain to the notary that you're selling on ebay or craigslist, they understand what's going on and remind you to have the person fill the title out properly before they go to the Clerk of Courts.

You don't want to really fill anything out on the title in front of anyone at the Clerk of Courts unless both parties are there and you're having one of the employees notarize the title.

The last bike I sold, I wouldn't let the guy take a test ride, but I gave him a 15 minute money back guarantee. Bring it back within 15 minutes, undamaged and I would give him his money back. He seemed satisfied with that, and I never saw the guy again.

The last bike I sold, I wouldn't let the guy take a test ride, but I gave him a 15 minute money back guarantee. Bring it back within 15 minutes, undamaged and I would give him his money back. He seemed satisfied with that, and I never saw the guy again.

I like that idea.

Well, looks like the bike will be gone tomorrow. He came by to look at it, and he seemed like a great guy, so I trusted him to take a test ride. He did and that sealed the deal! He is actually a member on here but he said he never gets on. Maybe he will after seeing what an honest guy I am. I talked this forum up with him.

We are just meeting tomorrow to complete the sale. He is going to get the money, and I will just meet him at the BMV to notarize it. Would I still need a bill of sale if we do it that way?

Flame on, but I think we're all a bit paranoid. I have no problem with test rides as long as the situation looks legit. If I showed up to buy a bike and had to turn over the cash first, there wouldn't be a deal. Maybe I'm trusting. Maybe I'm naive. Haven't been burned yet.