Advice on selling a bike

Scruit

i think the only way i would allow a test ride is if the person rode up on a bike, other wise i would want cash first just incase they wreck it.

that happened to me when i sold a bike a few years back.

dude rolled up on a bike. wearing gear, and after talking to him for a few minutes, you could tell he was not a squid.

he said he wanted to test ride it and i could ride his bike, so we rode around for about half an hour. came back to my place. dude bought the bike.

I will just meet him at the BMV to notarize it. Would I still need a bill of sale if we do it that way?

In every transaction, I make two copies of the bill of sale, one for seller, one for buyer. That addresses the issue you mentioned in your original post. If he doesn't register it in his name, you have proof you sold it. A buyer probably won't use your former bike as his getaway vehicle after robbing the liquor store (wearing full gear and tinted face shield, naturally), but if by chance he does, the more evidence you have showing it probably wasn't you, the better.

I always post "Cash inhand before test rides", but then just feel the person out to see if they are worthy or not.

And I thought everyone knew a Notary that will help you out....???