Floats/carbs need calibrated

saralynn518

Since I fixed my recent problems with the bike, of course there's a new one. Replaced all the O-rings and gaskets on carbs and cleaned them out, but the left carb is peeing gas. Turns out there were two completely different float needles on the bike :nono:. Went out and now have two that are the same. Didn't pee gas before when it was different, but now it does.

Anyway, I don't have the proper tool to calibrate the measurements for the float. I'm guessing since it's a new/different kind of needle, it needs adjusted. Does anyone in the Columbus area think they can help me out? I live on the SE end near Groveport if someone would be kind enough to swing by, but I can bring the carb with me so I don't have to borrow a tool. Problem would be testing this POS.

ReconRat was kind enough to give me PDF shop and repair manuals, so I have the specs.

p.s. I checked the float and it's not retaining gas, so my best guess is the level needs set.

you can measure the float height a couple of ways. the only tool you really need is a caliper, or a piece of hose.

first, you can hold the carb in your hand with the bowl off, and start inverting in until the valve just seats. not all the way over. many valves have a small springy end in them. you dont want that compressed, you just want the valve seated. when its seated take your caliper and measure the distance from the carb body/gasket to the top of the float. ive found its easier to use the depth gauge. voila that is your float height. bend the tang on the floats to adjust it to the proper spec. dont bend too much, a little goes a long way.

second, if the carbs are already on the bike, you can take a clear piece of tube, hook it on to the drain and run it up along side the carb body. then when you open the drain, gas will go up into the tube to the same level it is in the carb. usually you measure +/- from the gasket/bowl.

refer to your service manual for actual measurements.

Edited by John

you can measure the float height a couple of ways. the only tool you really need is a caliper, or a piece of hose.

first, you can hold the carb in your hand with the bowl off, and start inverting in until the valve just seats. not all the way over. many valves have a small springy end in them. you dont want that compressed, you just want the valve seated. when its seated take your caliper and measure the distance from the carb body/gasket to the top of the float. ive found its easier to use the depth gauge. voila that is your float height. bend the tang on the floats to adjust it to the proper spec. dont bend too much, a little goes a long way.

second, if the carbs are already on the bike, you can take a clear piece of tube, hook it on to the drain and run it up along side the carb body. then when you open the drain, gas will go up into the tube to the same level it is in the carb. usually you measure +/- from the gasket/bowl.

refer to your service manual for actual measurements.

Thanks John. I don't have a caliper...that's why I can't do it myself. I can't afford to go buy one either, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm doing the carbs on my 73 cb500 and my dad said he's gonna adjust the carb to match the others. I'm not good with carbs but DTM Brian is supposed to good with that stuff. I even hear about him on Craigslist.

My dad would too, but they live up north. My dad has helped a lot with this bike, but he's also meant well and messed it up lol. My huge set back is not having money to take it anywhere or being able to pay anyone to work on it. My situation is pretty messed up right now. I don't even know if I will have gas money to ride it once it finally is fixed lol! Actually, once it's fixed, it's getting sold asap.

Thanks John. I don't have a caliper...that's why I can't do it myself. I can't afford to go buy one either, so I thought I'd ask.

you can get one for like 10 bucks at harbor freight. can pick one up at sears for a little bit more.

there are expensive ones, 80, 90, 100 bucks, but you dont need one like that. the lowest end one will do fine.

if you still cant find one, i have one i'd let you use.

I'm not good with carbs but DTM Brian is supposed to good with that stuff. I even hear about him on Craigslist.

Not sure where you heard that. Brian is not a carb guy, at all. He is a wiz with fuel injection. Don't believe everything you read on craigslist.