Need help with my R6

bowdog

I have a bad miss or something in my R6 that only acts up when it wants to but is now getting worse... When riding hard I will come to stop lights and the RPM's will bounce from 1800 down to almost zero and try to stall but when i rev the motor it goes back to normal (sometimes), never had a problem when RPM's are up until last night. was riding home and at about 4,000 RPM's the bike started to sputter and the RPM's started fluctuating again. Talked with CarWhore last night at the house and he was saying maybe Lancaster Cycles to look at it, does anyone here have a good place i should try or better yet does someone here that knows what they are doing want to look at? I will pay to have this done i just want my bike right and i dont have time with my work schedule to disect this. Maybe something as simple as a vacuum leak i realy dont know???? Please help!!

The problem is its a yahama :nono: but in all honesty it kinda sounds like maybe your plugs are becoming fouled. Try pullin them and see what they look like, I might be off but at least if its something like that you can do it yourself...also try running some fuel injector cleaner through a tank and see if that helps.

The problem is its a yahama :nono: but in all honesty it kinda sounds like maybe your plugs are becoming fouled. Try pullin them and see what they look like, I might be off but at least if its something like that you can do it yourself...also try running some fuel injector cleaner through a tank and see if that helps.

better than a susucki.

check the injectors. i seem to remember there being problems with them on that gen bike.

Thanks i actually just replaced the plugs before posting and had no change, bike also is running full system with velocity stacks and power commander so could be there too? Really not sure and the problem is i dont have the time to trial and error this because of work, anyone interested in doing the work? I will pay cash.

I will try running the injector cleaner through it this week and see if there is a change. Any one in general i should use or just a normal injector cleaner from advance?

for the time being no. this is just eliminating the PC as the source of the problem. if it still runs like you're saying after unplugging and reconnecting the OEM plugs, then plug the PC back in as you've eliminated the source.

Suzuki>Yamaha

I dislike Yamaha with a passion, I haven't had a single positive experience with one yet.

I know my Yamaha is not the quality that your 73 CB 500 is but i really like it and this is the first problem i have had and the third one i have owned so i think i would like to fix it!!! :rolleyes::D

for the time being no. this is just eliminating the PC as the source of the problem. if it still runs like you're saying after unplugging and reconnecting the OEM plugs, then plug the PC back in as you've eliminated the source.

Thank you, i wont be able to try to at best tomorrow night, but i will eliminate the PC and go from there. Any other suggestions or someone that can look at for me is greatly appreciated. I hate the fact that my bike is sick right now!!! :cry:

what ones have you tried?

i wanna know this too... i bet you have an extensive knowledge of bikes that you have ridden for GOOD amount of time to where you could test them under a multitude of different conditions.. to be able to form such an opinion on a bike brand ;):stirpot:

there was a recall for the 2nd gen r6 for the problem you have described. You should be able to find the recall notice on one of the r6 forums or yamaha's website. you could also take it into a yamaha dealer and have them check the recall status for your bike.

i'd buy suzuki for track duty, never on the street. i dont want to be associated with the rest of the douchebags. "o you're one of those riders..."

anyways, back to helping OP out.

If you don't ride like one of those "riders" then you won't be labeled as one of those "riders".

Also, wearing gear should throw them off too.

alright man I could probably help you out. I know the 2nd gen R6 like the back of my hand.

I will tell you right off the bat the 03 and 04 was plagued with a throttle position sensor issue. and your bike sounds like it is having all the symptoms. random stalling was the biggest issue.

first thing first. eliminate the PC like already said. they(dynojet) had problems with that model PC.

second, the 03 and 04 had a Throttle position sensor problem. you'll need to replace it because it's a short not dirt in it, like everyone thinks.

I could possibly let you borrow mine to see if it fixes it. (don't do this just yet)

3rd, what does your idle stay at once warmed up?

you may need to raise it with the aftermarket exhaust. (I did too)

4th, it could be time for a throttle body syncronization.

5. in 03 they came with bad nippon denso coils but you should have the new mitsubishi coils. look at them and if they have a tan epoxy top you're good. but that doesn't mean one or more of them are not bad.

a easy test for this is to spray a mist of water on the headers. if one of them isn't sizzling off instantly you know it's not getting fuel or spark.

(more likely spark)

here is the factory service manual... http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/pdf/03-04R6_service_manual.pdf

in the fuel injection section (this is why yamaha is superior to a suzuki) it shows you how to enter the diagnostic feature of the computer via the instrument cluster. in this diagnostic mode you can test all of the bike's electronics. this includes the ignition coils and fuel injectors.

use the chart to tell what code does what tests. it's easy once you play with it for a few min. but it's a fantastic feature that yamaha built in the bike.

(sorry suzuki fan boys, your bike doesn't have this)

oh yeah I forgot...my R6 has over 40k miles on it without one single issue to date...

Edited by serpentracer

Thank you Serpentracer, i have printed this out and hopefully will have some time to check some this weekend, this is the third R6 i have owned and the first problem i have ever had... I absolutly love the power and handling of these bikes and would not buy anything else unless i was going to a cruiser.

there was a recall for the 2nd gen r6 for the problem you have described. You should be able to find the recall notice on one of the r6 forums or yamaha's website. you could also take it into a yamaha dealer and have them check the recall status for your bike.

Thanks not sure why but i was not aware of this recall, i will check into this as well.

if he's talking about the ignition coil recall it wasn't technically a recall. it was a technical service bulletin telling the techs to check out the coils if the bike is experiencing some hesitation etc.

and it was only for the 2003 models. the 2004 should have the better mitsubishi coils already. but that doesn't mean your's isn't bad. since you have a 04 I don't think you'll qualify to get the newer coils if they are even still honoring it.

the old denso coils were arching to the cylinder head.

if he's talking about the ignition coil recall it wasn't technically a recall. it was a technical service bulletin telling the techs to check out the coils if the bike is experiencing some hesitation etc.

and it was only for the 2003 models. the 2004 should have the better mitsubishi coils already. but that doesn't mean your's isn't bad. since you have a 04 I don't think you'll qualify to get the newer coils if they are even still honoring it.

the old denso coils were arching to the cylinder head.

^this, I had an 03 with idle issues at lower rpms (forgot what all years this pertained to). I stopped by a dealer and they confirmed that the the coils were not the problems, so I ended up riding it like that for 2 years. It is not really a problem when out riding the fun stuff and you keep the bike above 9k rpm, city riding on the other hand can get rather annoying. It looks like there was also a tech bulletin for the drive sprocket nut, so if you stop by a dealer you could also have them check that out.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-warranty-premature-failure/76500-yamaha-technical-bulletin-m2006-003-a.html

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-warranty-premature-failure/60309-2003-denso-ignition-coils-pictures-questions.html