duty to inform case dash cam video

crb

The press release that Ben posted earlier had been commented more times that I could count - and it was all negative that I saw.

This officer should be criminally charged with one count of assault for every time he threatened any kind of violence (that was not legitimately in line with his duties)

I believe that an assault charge deos NOT require physcial touching, just that you put the victim in reasonable for of voilence. Any officers or lawyers care to back me up or prove me wrong?

I think a menacing or aggregated menacing charge is more what you are looking for. Assault is cause or attempt to cause physical harm. He did neither.

I think a menacing or aggregated menacing charge is more what you are looking for. Assault is cause or attempt to cause physical harm. He did neither.

Some states/countries have assault and menacing merged into a single charge whereby threats are an "assault". However I readily defer to your more informed position on Ohio law.

Some states/countries have assault and menacing merged into a single charge whereby threats are an "assault". However I readily defer to your more informed position on Ohio law.

It is strange how much laws vary from state to state.

So' date=' you're telling me that the screening system is broken, and my rights were violated for no decent reason. Pretty sure I'm not cool with that. Ohio can shove their notify law up their ass. It needs to go away.[/quote']

It does need to go away. It isn't Constitutional.

It does need to go away. It isn't Constitutional.

Unconstitutional can bebe easily shown. If you are carrying in violation of ccw law (ie in a bar under the old law), but you have a ccw, the the law requires you to incriminate yourself... we have a whole amendment protecting us from that, supposedly.

I have to put it in code tags else it'll automatically embed, which you can't see for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kassP7zI0qc

It's a YouTube video. YouTube blocked where you're at?

Im on my iPhone. May be why. But "the blaze" posted it on fb, so I found it. Thanks

That was a painful 17 mins.

Officer was out of line, but I'm sure they're probably under some stress - no real excuse though. Some of the officer's commentary was totally unprofessional to put it politely.

And even if the driver was 100% within his rights, he's definitely asking for trouble rolling around with a chick he knows from driving a cab :rolleyes: and offering rides to other strangers in the middle of the night in a shady area of town. 100% legal, but he doesnt appear to be the brightest bulb in the bunch.

Last minor side note, whoever transcribed that video needs a grammar and spell checker. "Anit-cop" and using 'and' instead of 'an' while asking for people to donate money just rubs me the wrong way.

Just sad the state pays this fuck to carry around a badge and gun in his own patrol car calling himself a cop. what a worthless dickbag.

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2011/07/20/video-police-caught-on-tape-behaving-nicely/

This certainly is refreshing and is suppose to be how the police-citizen interaction occurs. Unfortunately, you are not likely to see this in the newspaper or on television.

That is exactly how things should go down' date=' except for the fact that the officer had zero reason to even encounter "Jeremy".

You're right.. you just can't win with me. :lol:[/quote']

That discussion would open a another can of worms and would be better off for another thread. ;)

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2011/07/20/video-police-caught-on-tape-behaving-nicely/

This certainly is refreshing and is suppose to be how the police-citizen interaction occurs. Unfortunately, you are not likely to see this in the newspaper or on television.

http://www.cantonrep.com/carousel/x121489646/Canton-officer-under-investigation-after-concealed-carry-arrest?photo=0

Ask and you shall receive!

Like I've stated before, the officers are horrible tactically and professionally. Both officers should have exercised some sort of physical control on the people outside the vehicle and should have approached the vehicle/driver in a normal traffic stop. The officer should then proceed to ask the driver for his license, proof of insurance, and registration. That would have allowed the driver ample time/opportunity to inform the officer of this CCW permit. It seems that the officers may have put the driver in the situation that he's in. Whether or not the legal system views it that way is a different story.

Police officers simply enforce the laws of the city/state. If you are dissatisfied with the way the CCW laws govern what you can/cannot do, then it's time to take a proactive approach to convince the politicians to have the laws changed. The Second Amendment, like other amendments, are subject to interpretation; some consider it be vague or ambiguous whereas others take it literally. Therein lies the problem as everyone has a different perspective on it.

I just saw it on some news channel. I think the video would be about the same even if the guy told him he had a CCW from the git go. The cop needs Prozac.

So' date=' you're telling me that the screening system is broken, and my rights were violated for no decent reason. Pretty sure I'm not cool with that. Ohio can shove their notify law up their ass. It needs to go away.[/quote']

If you don’t like the law, do more than bitch about it on a motorcycle forum to get it changed.

The 2A might be subjective' date=' but open carry legality isn't. "Jeremy" should not have been approached by any officer, so long as he wasn't breaking any laws. It appears in his video that he was being questioned for the gun. That's an unlawful stop. (at least it is in Ohio)[/quote']

That stop is not illegal Ohio. An officer can have a consentual interaction with anyone on the street. "Jeremy" could have walked away at any time, which he did after he found out that he wasn't going to get sensational video that he was expecting. The officer didn't throw a fit when he didn't identify himself because that is exactly the type of interaction they were having. He was free to leave at any time.

The Second Amendment, like other amendments, are subject to interpretation; some consider it be vague or ambiguous whereas others take it literally. Therein lies the problem as everyone has a different perspective on it.

that may be, but its important to remember its the judiciary's job to make interpretations, not the police.

There was zero reason to even consider confronting "Jeremy".

maybe if we look hard enough, we can find SOMETHING to jam him up on. ;)

That stop is not illegal Ohio. An officer can have a consentual interaction with anyone on the street. "Jeremy" could have walked away at any time, which he did after he found out that he wasn't going to get sensational video that he was expecting. The officer didn't throw a fit when he didn't identify himself because that is exactly the type of interaction they were having. He was free to leave at any time.

So when exactly do we have the right to not converse w police or not answer questions?

You're splitting hairs' date=' and you know it. How about an officer be more proactive where citizens' rights are concerned and just wave to the man as he drives by? There was zero reason to even consider confronting "Jeremy". Your job is not to interview someone that isn't breaking any laws.

How's that famous COP phrase go?? "Move along, there's nothing to see here."[/quote']

Every interaction with between an officer and the public involves the citizen's rights. I stop and talk to people all of the time. Sometimes I even get out of my car and walk up onto the porch of a "hood rat" to talk. Sometimes they tell me to pound salt up my ass and get off of their porch, sometimes they offer a soft drink and a chair/piece of railing to sit and talk. I will usually pull up a piece of railing and chat for a while, but I usually keep a soft drink in my hand so I don’t have to decline the hospitality (they are hood rats after all, who don’t like me just because of my job and given the right circumstances would kill or hurt me without thinking twice).

Why would you walk up someone's porch steps?

To talk/be friendly, get to know people, check on people I have arrested in the past. You know, be human. Just because someone has been arrested, doesn't make them a bad person. People make mistakes.

Why would you walk up someone's porch steps?

- Community policing.

- Show people that the police aren't out just to get them all.

- Have a positive interaction with the police rather than one in which they are a criminal or a victim.

- Build trust between the citizens and the police... especially people who have been arrested in the past and probably think all police are only out there to arrest them.

- Show people that the police are approachable and professional people whose job focus is to enforce the laws, not necessarily to arrest or charge them (A warning for speed is more effective with me than a ticket because its easier to write off a ticket as "that a-h cop" whereas a warning achieves the same goal of slowing me down while keeping a positive image for the police)

Any more? :D

If this is your actual intent' date=' then I want to offer my thanks for being a swell public servant. However, you'll have to forgive my skepticism.. it's nothing personal. I'm sure you're a super cool guy and an excellent COP. I don't take issue with police officers who are genuinely concerned for the welfare of the public. It's the officers that are more than willing to be the junkyard dogs the state would love them to be that ruffle my feathers.[/quote']

I am a dick at work when I need to be a dick. Treat me like a human being, and I will do the same. I didn't take this job to take people to jail. To be honest, I don’t enjoy it all that much (unless it is someone who truly deserves it.

Would these be the "hood rats" you were referring to earlier? ::rolleyes:)

No, a turd is still a turd. I am referring to the person who gets caught shop lifting to feed his family when he is out of work. I may have to take him to jail if the "victim" wants to prosecute, but I can't fault him for doing what I or anyone else on here would do if the situation became that dire. Or maybe someone who has been arrested for a traffic violation. While still an arrrstible offense, it's not the crime of the century. This is what I mean by "just because a person has been arrested doesn't make them a bad person". These aren't the only examples, but you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk